Let the Kids Play

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please explain the math on the "99.97% will be fine" claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am by no means a COVID denier. Wear our masks, follow the Governors guidelines, telework, etc. That being said the statement, “many of those deaths could have been avoided” is absolutely not exclusive to COVID. Many traffic related deaths could avoided by instituting a 45mph interstate speed limit, diabetes could be avoided by outlawing HFCS, heart disease could be avoided by banning fast food. Obesity? Tax people based on their BMI. Don’t even start with tobacco and alcohol, immediate prohibition. All of those examples are legal because of simple economics and a cost benefit analysis. COVID is nearly the same. Two weeks to “flatten the curve” is what we told people 9 months ago yet Inslee in his last press conference said the efforts of Washingtonians was successful and worked, but...we are immediately back in this situation. At some point people outside of the high risk populations aren’t going to put up with it anymore because the cost for “ME” isn’t worth the benefit of “WE.”
      OK, let's dig into your argument a little bit ie more deaths could be avoided with 45mph speed limit in highways. You completely ignore all the ways driving is regulated: you need a license, insurance. You must wear a seat belt and put away your cell phone. You're required to obey traffic rules and signals. You cannot drive under the influence of substances. Babies and young kids need special restraints. Car manufacturer's must adhere to certain safety standards. Do some rules get broken? Yes, but there are legal consequences for doing so, and all these rules have reduced traffic fatalities. We're less than a year into a deadly global pandemic and looking for ways to keep people safer until we get a vaccine and most people have received it, and folks complain about having to wear a mask and not being able to go to frickin Boise so 10 year olds can play soccer.

Comment

We can go to Boise. We can go to Phoenix. We can go to Texas. We can go to Florida. The problem is my kid can’t play a game on the field 3 minutes away from the house.

Comment

We can go to Boise. We can go to Phoenix. We can go to Texas. We can go to Florida. The problem is my kid can’t play a game on the field 3 minutes away from the house.
          Now that the dead period has been extended, I don't care. Sadly this year is dead. RIP 2021's.

Comment

Now that the dead period has been extended, I don't care. Sadly this year is dead. RIP 2021's.
            It will have a ripple affect. Worried for 22s as well.

Comment

This is truly sad for 2021s and 2022s.

Comment

none

Santa Clara County bans contact sports and now their colleges and pro teams will travel to Arizona and PNW to train and play. Ban likely to continue into 2021.

https://www.marinij.com/2020/11/30/s...ty-sports-ban/

https://www.marinij.com/2020/11/30/s...ys-new-orders/

Comment

welp 2 families ona team of 16 have notified that they have covid. One of them was at practice this week. Welcome to the Thanksgiving covd bump :( With the numbers where they are at if there's 4 teams training on a field there's a 100% chance someone out there has active covid. 20 kids on your team practicing together 20% chance. Stay safe folks, why the risk when we aren't even playing games. Guess we'll find out if those breathable sports masks do anything to stop the spread.

Comment

welp 2 families ona team of 16 have notified that they have covid. One of them was at practice this week. Welcome to the Thanksgiving covd bump :( With the numbers where they are at if there's 4 teams training on a field there's a 100% chance someone out there has active covid. 20 kids on your team practicing together 20% chance. Stay safe folks, why the risk when we aren't even playing games. Guess we'll find out if those breathable sports masks do anything to stop the spread.
                    and yet they all will be fine! stop with the fear mongering.

Comment

and yet they all will be fine! stop with the fear mongering.
                      You stop. You don't know who will be fine and who won't. What a jerky comment

Comment

Ok I'm a little freaked out because I think either this is my kid's team or else there's more than one cluster duck happening on local soccer teams.

Comment

Ok I'm a little freaked out because I think either this is my kid's team or else there's more than one cluster duck happening on local soccer teams.
                          No need to completely panic. As long as protocol is followed hopefully the clubs take control. It is doubtful that it occurred during training but 99% chance outside of soccer. This is why so many clubs are saying to not travel outside the state/bubble and follow protocol.

Comment

You stop. You don't know who will be fine and who won't. What a jerky comment
                            Is that you Inslee?

Comment

Let’s not pretend like “worldometers” is exactly a reliable source...

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/...ery/index.html
                              It's not as reliable as the CDC but the numbers are relatively close. When you play golf do you pull some grass and toss it in the air to gauge wind direction or do you pull out an anemometer? I'm guessing it's the former....so consider Worldometer to be grass.

Comment

You are free to disagree, but merely calling their posts “BS” or “disinfo” isn’t the most solid argument. The last couple of posters have used crazy things like data and statistics.
                                one used a report that has since been removed and the numbers completely debunked. The other used data pulled from the same report without understanding that the November death count is completely understated as all deaths are not required to be immediately reported to CDC.

Data is only useful if you use it correctly and understand what you're using - neither occurred here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X