Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is our talent?

The U20 WNT for next years world cup has been announced.

Where is all the talent from MA? You hear so much about ECNL and NPL and next level, but this is the real test of quality and we have fallen short in comparison to other states.

Congratulations to McKenzie Meehan from RI who has made the team!

That can't be right,JD picks the USWNT players, that must be the B list

Comment

Those out there who like to squawk about "where is the MA talent" fail to realize just how rarified the air is at the NT level. My view is that if they really understood, they wouldn't be asking such a question. By the way, MM is a good bet to lead the U20 WNT team in goals. She is a very efficient scorer.

Comment

This is an overreaction. By population, you would only expect Mass. To have 1/50th, so not having 1/21 is no surprise or problem.

Comment

No clue

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Those out there who like to squawk about "where is the MA talent" fail to realize just how rarified the air is at the NT level. My view is that if they really understood, they wouldn't be asking such a question. By the way, MM is a good bet to lead the U20 WNT team in goals. She is a very efficient scorer.
          The ignorance of the poster is just unbelievable. WNT you are talking about 20 players. Best of the best. I have an idea for you, hold your breath....forever!

Comment

The ignorance of the poster is just unbelievable. WNT you are talking about 20 players. Best of the best. I have an idea for you, hold your breath....forever!
            Ignorance, maybe. But the sales job of Stars, Nefc et all, would have you believe that level of play or even high div 1 with scholarship is within your grasp, if only you trust them and spend lots of money with their superstar coaches. And by population, 1/50th is incorrect, 1/14 is where we stand.
            The point, however, is correctly stated about the "rarified air". We are sorely lacking at the top level, which is not a condemnation of our athletes or even the training of the clubs.
            It is condemnation of the complete hysteria that surrounds and is propagated by the devout followers and snake oil salesmen of youth soccer, particularly on the girl's side of the equation.
            We just don't have the thoroughbreds, minus an exception or two.

Comment

Ignorance, maybe. But the sales job of Stars, Nefc et all, would have you believe that level of play or even high div 1 with scholarship is within your grasp, if only you trust them and spend lots of money with their superstar coaches. And by population, 1/50th is incorrect, 1/14 is where we stand.
              The point, however, is correctly stated about the "rarified air". We are sorely lacking at the top level, which is not a condemnation of our athletes or even the training of the clubs.
              It is condemnation of the complete hysteria that surrounds and is propagated by the devout followers and snake oil salesmen of youth soccer, particularly on the girl's side of the equation.
              Could you, or anyone else, please post a link that claims that? Please not the semantics, or the "I'm reading between the lines". An actual page that says we guarantee if you play for us you will get a scholorship, or guarantee admissions to the college of your choice. My guess is, no such place exists. My theory/fear is, the ones who claim they have been lied to; A. Only heard what they wanted, and came to conclusion all on their own, or B. are making excuses for the player or themselves. I've been a college D I,II, and III, and club coach for almost 25 yrs, and I have never heard a coach/director promise any such thing. In fact the most common is the opposite, and they say "if you're in this for, and expect any scholorship money, you will most likely be disappointed. There is a big difference in, we think this coach/club will give you the BEST CHANCE, and if you play here we will get you the school you want or the $ you deserve for playing with us. I tell every parent I have this talk with, if you are looking at this as an investment, you're here for the wrong reason.

Comment

At 6.6M Mass. is the 14th most populous state, but is only approximately 1/50th of the total US population (1/47.4) - so the original poster is correct - by straight population, you would expect about 1/50. Additionally, I would gather that winter climates also would also have an affect.

Comment

Could you, or anyone else, please post a link that claims that? Please not the semantics, or the "I'm reading between the lines". An actual page that says we guarantee if you play for us you will get a scholorship, or guarantee admissions to the college of your choice. My guess is, no such place exists. My theory/fear is, the ones who claim they have been lied to; A. Only heard what they wanted, and came to conclusion all on their own, or B. are making excuses for the player or themselves. I've been a college D I,II, and III, and club coach for almost 25 yrs, and I have never heard a coach/director promise any such thing. In fact the most common is the opposite, and they say "if you're in this for, and expect any scholorship money, you will most likely be disappointed. There is a big difference in, we think this coach/club will give you the BEST CHANCE, and if you play here we will get you the school you want or the $ you deserve for playing with us. I tell every parent I have this talk with, if you are looking at this as an investment, you're here for the wrong reason.
                  Then why are they/you charging such huge money? If you are being honest, then you realize that 99.9% of the kids in your programs are not going to qualify for whatever it is they hope to achieve. What are you offering them: better coaching? And if so, what purpose does that serve?
                  Why aren't you coaching in town leagues? Do they not deserve your level of quality? No, my friend, it is all about the money, either at your end or theirs.

Comment

Then why are they/you charging such huge money? If you are being honest, then you realize that 99.9% of the kids in your programs are not going to qualify for whatever it is they hope to achieve. What are you offering them: better coaching? And if so, what purpose does that serve?
                    Why aren't you coaching in town leagues? Do they not deserve your level of quality? No, my friend, it is all about the money, either at your end or theirs.
                    Of course it is all about the money. And it has sucked in the parents who have a similar grip on the educational sytem expressed on another thread. Before youth sports were high- jacked away from the scholastic environment, the reasons children participated had little to do with what their parents wanted, it was mostly what the children wanted to try, explore , challenge themselves etc.

Comment

Our kids have played many years, at larger clubs. We have never heard or seen any sort of promise that it would or should lead to playing in college or higher. The message has consistently been, playing in our program can help, but getting to play beyond this is up to the player. These are things players can do to have the best opportunity to play at college or above . . .

Comment

Huge fees? I think you are confusing expenses (travel/meals) with fees.

We paid less than 3000 for more than 400 coach hours last year. Considering they have to pay for fields, refs, entry fees, insurance, I consider that more than fair.

Comment

Yes the air is rarified but that still doesn't explain why after all of the money spent in this region on elite soccer when you go up and down the WYNT rosters there isn't a whole lot of names from anywhere in all of New England on those rosters. It's not the weather because there are more players from other cold climates like Michigan on those rosters than here. It is time to take a critical look at the environment around here.

Comment

The cost of club soccer is equivalent to gymnastics or dance. If your kid loves and soccer and you can afford it, why not?

Comment

Huge fees? I think you are confusing expenses (travel/meals) with fees.

We paid less than 3000 for more than 400 coach hours last year. Considering they have to pay for fields, refs, entry fees, insurance, I consider that more than fair.
                              How about the money you spent on travel?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X