Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report card???

Should coached be giving out some sort of “report card” or meeting with player/parents? Nothing all year...👎

My son's team got a mid-season report. Just some lines on strengths and weaknesses and what to think about moving forward. Not as detailed as would like but something, and in writing. I often wonder at how little the clubs like to communicate to parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My son's team got a mid-season report. Just some lines on strengths and weaknesses and what to think about moving forward. Not as detailed as would like but something, and in writing. I often wonder at how little the clubs like to communicate to parents.
      Daughter is at one of the big "3" clubs, developmental age group. We had a parent/player conference with our coach. Meeting was about 15 minutes, discussed strengths and areas of her game that needed to be improved. After, the meeting the coach sent a follow up email highlighting the points made during our conversation. Prior to the spring season beginning the coach provided an update on our daughters progress.

The coach has done the same for all players/parents and is always providing excellent feedback on what is being taught in practice and what to look for during games.

Comment

That's what I was expecting. My kid is 9 and I’ve gotten nothing other than days kid played with less enthusiasm...Try harder. Should I bother to ask at this point?

Comment

That's what I was expecting. My kid is 9 and I’ve gotten nothing other than days kid played with less enthusiasm...Try harder. Should I bother to ask at this point?
          Nope. Consciously or not, your coach doesn't think your kid can do it and appears not willing to try to help or motivate your kid. See who the coach is next year and perhaps it will change and things will get better (or worse). And check out other clubs. Go and participate in their workouts and see how your kid fits in there. See how the other players are, the coach, and the parents. Most of all, be realistic. So many parents were daddy glasses and their kids are perpetually rose-colored. Be objective and find a good fit for your kid. Just because it isn't ECNL or DA doesn't mean that it isn't tremendously worthwhile. When your kid is on the right team, you will both be very happy and that is really rewarding rather than fretting over next game or next year.

Comment

You are stressing about report cards at 9.

At this point your only data points should be:

- Is my kid having fun
            - is my kid learning the building blocks of soccer ( passing, foot skills, and general awareness)
            - Does my kid play hard
            - does my kid practice in his own time

Comment

Depends on how you evaluate.

My Ds soccer coach at BSC gets an F but the managing Mom gave an A+ She said it was based on endurance.

Comment

You are stressing about report cards at 9.

At this point your only data points should be:

- Is my kid having fun
                - is my kid learning the building blocks of soccer ( passing, foot skills, and general awareness)
                - Does my kid play hard
                - does my kid practice in his own time
                Not the OP and while I largely agree, how does the player know what to work on if there is no feedback? A nine year old shouldn't be expected to self advocate. Parents have every right to expect some kind of feedback. It doesn't necessarily have to be formal but would be preferred. Don't jump on the coach after practice or a game. Ask to set up a time to talk on the phone so the coach can gather his thoughts about the player. If a coach won't even do that you are at the wrong club. It could also be why your player isn't interested- the coach isn't either! Kids aren't stupid. If a coach isn't into it the players won't be either

Comment

Not the OP and while I largely agree, how does the player know what to work on if there is no feedback? A nine year old shouldn't be expected to self advocate. Parents have every right to expect some kind of feedback. It doesn't necessarily have to be formal but would be preferred. Don't jump on the coach after practice or a game. Ask to set up a time to talk on the phone so the coach can gather his thoughts about the player. If a coach won't even do that you are at the wrong club. It could also be why your player isn't interested- the coach isn't either! Kids aren't stupid. If a coach isn't into it the players won't be either
                  Simple. At that age kids should be working on everything. They are far from a finished project. They need to build up their foundation rather than fine tuning to be fine tuning weaknesses

Some suggestions on what to work on

- Dribble and shot with either foot
                  - Juggling
                  - heads up dribbling
                  - Turns and drag backs
                  - Taking on players
                  - Passing

Comment

Simple. At that age kids should be working on everything. They are far from a finished project. They need to build up their foundation rather than fine tuning to be fine tuning weaknesses

Some suggestions on what to work on

- Dribble and shot with either foot
                    - Juggling
                    - heads up dribbling
                    - Turns and drag backs
                    - Taking on players
                    - Passing
                    You must be an ow guy.

Comment

You must be an ow guy.
                      2700 juggles and can't complete a pass forward! :)

Comment

You must be an ow guy.
                        Notice I didn't say backwards passing

Comment

For the thousands in fees that you are paying, all club programs should be doing this and you shouldn't have to ask for the feedback to get it. If its not the norm at the club, you will get some feedback if you ask for it but the effort put out might not amount to much (but it is something). We used to get written evaluations twice a year at S+ along with a player-parent-coach discussion.

I have seen quite a few discussions going on in the lobby between FSA coaches and girl players/parents over the years. In the four three years my son has been there it has not happened once. It speaks for the development mindset that is absent to a large extent on the boys side.

Comment

For the thousands in fees that you are paying, all club programs should be doing this and you shouldn't have to ask for the feedback to get it. If its not the norm at the club, you will get some feedback if you ask for it but the effort put out might not amount to much (but it is something). We used to get written evaluations twice a year at S+ along with a player-parent-coach discussion.

I have seen quite a few discussions going on in the lobby between FSA coaches and girl players/parents over the years. In the four three years my son has been there it has not happened once. It speaks for the development mindset that is absent to a large extent on the boys side.
                            Except FSA boys teams have better coaches and have had more success

Comment

Except FSA boys teams have better coaches and have had more success
                              if you kid isn't getting written feedback they are in the wrong club. period. you are wasting money. Lazy is as lazy does

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X