Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w t f is junior sophomore?

I tried to cut and paste highlights of new proposal to be voted upon.

Division 1 Proposal - 2018 – 93
    https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/p...View?id=103278

Telephone Calls - an institutional staff member may not receive telephone calls from an individual (or his or her family members) before the beginning June 15 at the conclusion of his or her junior sophomore year in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Did I miss the part where only 4 sports are important to the NCAA (Baseball, Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey) and those sports can do whatever they please because they can actually be money makers for some schools? Funny how the rule is so detrimental to soccer and other sports, but the players in these sports apparently cant be harmed by earlier and far different recruiting rules. Hmmm, makes you wonder what the motivation behind these changes actually is.
      Those sports will always write their own rules. Not only do they make money for most schools but they make money for the NCAA also. They get a piece of the TV pie. All the other sports? They don't make money for anybody. Only women's basketball gets a pass because of men's bball policies.

Comment

w t f is junior sophomore?

I tried to cut and paste highlights of new proposal to be voted upon.

Division 1 Proposal - 2018 – 93
        https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/p...View?id=103278

Telephone Calls - an institutional staff member may not receive telephone calls from an individual (or his or her family members) before the beginning June 15 at the conclusion of his or her junior sophomore year in high school.
        I read this as players and family members can no longer call college coaches. It doesn’t appear to prevent a player from going to a showcase and the college coach calling a club coach to say “I’m interested in your player”. It also doesn’t seem to prevent a player from emailing a college coach their interest. If there is mutual interest from the college coach he can call a club coach and say that. I thought they were banning contact between college and club coaches for recruiting purposes but I’m not seeing how that is banned in the proposal shared.

Comment

I read this as players and family members can no longer call college coaches. It doesn’t appear to prevent a player from going to a showcase and the college coach calling a club coach to say “I’m interested in your player”. It also doesn’t seem to prevent a player from emailing a college coach their interest. If there is mutual interest from the college coach he can call a club coach and say that. I thought they were banning contact between college and club coaches for recruiting purposes but I’m not seeing how that is banned in the proposal shared.
          Nor I, unless this isn't the full proposal. The above changes don't do much of anything. If they leave club coaches in the loop then early recruiting will still go on. Nothing can prevent a freshman player from attending an ID event and using the club as a go between. I think (and I could be wrong) that in LAX you can't attend an ID event until summer after sophomore year. That makes a good degree of sense but doesn't seem to be in the soccer rules either.

Comment

Here’s a link to a clear summary of the proposed rules. Still not seeing anything that prohibits contact with a club coach. https://www.avca.org/Blog/Article/18...or-more-Change

Comment

Here’s a link to a clear summary of the proposed rules. Still not seeing anything that prohibits contact with a club coach. https://www.avca.org/Blog/Article/18...or-more-Change
              I think on the section below Club Coaches would be under "indirectly", and an offer as "member of an intercollegiate team" would technically cover that contact showing interest, but it is ambiguous enough and how is it going to be policed?

13.9.1 Oral Offer of Aid -- Sports Other Than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an athletics department staff member shall not, >>> directly or indirectly <<<, provide an individual an oral offer (or indicate that an offer will or may be made) of athletically related financial aid, other institutional financial aid, admission to the institution or as a >>> member of an intercollegiate team <<< before August 1 at the beginning of the individual's junior year in high school.

Comment

This all sounds like the old rules that were in effect years ago that said there were no official visits or formal offers allowed until junior year. It didn’t stop recruiting or early expressions of interest one way or the other. I don’t see what the big deal is. 90% of HS freshman and sophomores aren’t ready to commit at those ages anyway. Any parent with kids that age knows they are still feeling their way thru HS so why make them pick a college so early?

Comment

This all sounds like the old rules that were in effect years ago that said there were no official visits or formal offers allowed until junior year. It didn’t stop recruiting or early expressions of interest one way or the other. I don’t see what the big deal is. 90% of HS freshman and sophomores aren’t ready to commit at those ages anyway. Any parent with kids that age knows they are still feeling their way thru HS so why make them pick a college so early?
                  1) coaches want to lock in the top players quickly before competitors
                  2) best spots and money go first
                  3) parental arms race

All three have pushed committing younger and younger. I totally agree if you feel your child isn't ready don't do it. But it's easy to see how kids and parents get caught up in the dust-up. One stud on the team commits first and early then everyone else is like "omg will I/my kid be left out? We better line some visits up and take the SAT now"

Comment

3) parental arms race

All three have pushed committing younger and younger. I totally agree if you feel your child isn't ready don't do it. But it's easy to see how kids and parents get caught up in the dust-up. One stud on the team commits first and early then everyone else is like "omg will I/my kid be left out? We better line some visits up and take the SAT now"
                    This is 100% what we are living right now with Sophomore.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/s...ing-early.html

Comment

3) parental arms race

I'm not going to judge anyone making whatever decision works for them and their child... however (lol), I have 3 kids and the youngest is 15... All good to excellent students and none of them would be ready at the age of 14/15 to make that type of lasting decision. As you go through HS you sort of realize what subjects you are more interested in, you hear about older siblings/friends who go to certain colleges and either love it (or don't love the school they chose). You get a better sense of big school / small school, majors, etc. etc.... I guess maybe that's what makes my kids more geared towards D3 Athletics vs. D1... but it just seems a bit crazy to me. Oh well...

Comment

I personally agree with the proposal, although I’m not sure how it will be enforced. Frankly, if it takes the clubs and club coaches out of the middleman role, that’s a good thing. Soccer coaches should be just that - coaches. Not agents or brokers for young kids. They should be concerned with player development only. Even more twisted that parents have bought into this for so long. A bunch of Lori Loughlin’s if you ask me.

The other thing that no one seems to be interested in talking honestly about is:

1) there is nothing “locked in” about a college commitment. You can be offered a spot and scholarship for freshman year of college and then be cut, injured, benched, or money reduced in the following years. This happens a lot more than parents understand.

2) scholarship money is really elusive. The number of players getting anything close to a full ride is relatively small. In some cases, you could be busting your hump for a few thousand $ per year.

Comment

This is 100% what we are living right now with Sophomore.
                            Agree. My kid has no idea what she will wear to school tomorrow and we expect her to make a decision on what she wants to do with her life! All we know is she is pretty at soccer and a particular college likes her. They're ready to have her commit now! Do we wait to investigate other potential offers and maybe lose out on some much needed cash?? Way to much stress.

Comment

I agree too soon. But, sometimes different position are filled very early, like goalkeeping, so many top level GK commits are end of soph year/going into jr. Even then, too early in my opinion.

Comment

Agree. My kid has no idea what she will wear to school tomorrow and we expect her to make a decision on what she wants to do with her life! All we know is she is pretty at soccer and a particular college likes her. They're ready to have her commit now! Do we wait to investigate other potential offers and maybe lose out on some much needed cash?? Way to much stress.
                                If they want her, they will find the cash. Don't stress about it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X