Improving foot skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry I even asked. Of course my daughter and I know how to Google. There are thousands of sites. I thought by asking here someone might be willing to give me a specific suggestion (and I did receive some, so thank you!). I am not ashamed to admit that I have zero knowledge of soccer. I signed my daughter up when she was little, she happened to fall in love with it, and I let her make the switch to a club team eventually. I don't know the game and she doesn't know what is good training advice or bad training advice, and so I was reaching out for advice. I'm not sure why this site exists if a simple question is so offensive, but whatever.

No where did I ask for special treatment because I am female, honey. No where did I say my daughter wasn't willing to put in work. Seems to me you're just another internet bad guy trying to look tough and putting words in my mouth to attempt to make a point? My best guess anyway.

Regardless, thanks for the help from the decent humans and for the POS warrior, get a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm sorry I even asked. Of course my daughter and I know how to Google. There are thousands of sites. I thought by asking here someone might be willing to give me a specific suggestion (and I did receive some, so thank you!). I am not ashamed to admit that I have zero knowledge of soccer. I signed my daughter up when she was little, she happened to fall in love with it, and I let her make the switch to a club team eventually. I don't know the game and she doesn't know what is good training advice or bad training advice, and so I was reaching out for advice. I'm not sure why this site exists if a simple question is so offensive, but whatever.

No where did I ask for special treatment because I am female, honey. No where did I say my daughter wasn't willing to put in work. Seems to me you're just another internet bad guy trying to look tough and putting words in my mouth to attempt to make a point? My best guess anyway.

Regardless, thanks for the help from the decent humans and for the POS warrior, get a hobby.
      Ok, I will assume you are a real person asking for free internet advice.
      Take the good and bad. This is about normal, so don't sweat it.

Couple things:
      1. You need to educate yourself on soccer. If you have zero knowledge,
      then how can you guide your dd? You know enough that you want
      your dd to get off the B team and onto the A team. That's goal.
      So, what are the steps? This will be a part time job for you.
      Don't be a latte sipping, baseball cap wearing soccer mom.

2. Your dd is late. The golden time is about 10-13 when girls should
      be learning footskills, not just running and booting goals like most clubs do.
      But, not impossible. If your dd is dedicated, then you need to make a
      daily practice sheet. For example, wake up 30 minutes early every day.
      Do 1000 touch exercises. Stretches and yoga. Every day.
      After school, another round of 1000 touches. Stretches. Whatever.
      If she doesn't want to do this, then you know her commitment level.

3. You need to start filming her. Every game. So she can watch herself
      play and see what is going on. Remember, part time job. You can also
      use this when college recruitment happens soon, if so desired.

4. Seek a good trainer to help her see where her weaknesses are and guide
      her. This is very important.

5. Futsal is always good. Indoor...hit or miss.
      If there is Couver or Toca, think about that, but expensive.
      Honestly, after getting some knowledge and a plan, she will really
      need just 10 balls, a net, and you passing or throwing the ball at her.

6. This is really important. Where are you going with her on soccer?
      Just high school or thinking about college? Two different pathways
      and varying amount of work and money on this.

My dd started late at 12 from rec soccer to club, so I know what you
      are feeling. I was there. Now, she is a regional level player and DI prospect.
      Of course, ymmv, but not impossible. She must want it. Good luck.

Comment

Your first reply contained this statement:
        ' Hope being nasty to a mom trying to point her daughter in the right direction made you feel good about yourself.'

There wasn't an inference there that a mom should be treated different than a dad and because you are a mom rather a dad I should feel especially bad for challenging you?

And I also never accused your daughter of not being willing to work hard. I was simply giving sincere advice on how I would deal with your entire situation and added the part about a child who wouldn't actually search for and then do recommended exercises because my experience tells me that a parent is likely to have to deal with that exact situation so I was giving pre-emptive advice and making no judgment on you or your daughter.

I'll end with this. Youtube has great instructive videos. And I find that the number of views are usually a good indicator of which videos are effective. If you are willing to work out with your daughter it will greatly speed up her achievement. Together you will weed through the
        garbage, find effective drills, and probably both learn a great deal of the nuances (the things that really separate the good players from the great one's) involved in the wonderful game of soccer.

Comment

Your first reply contained this statement:
          ' Hope being nasty to a mom trying to point her daughter in the right direction made you feel good about yourself.'

There wasn't an inference there that a mom should be treated different than a dad and because you are a mom rather a dad I should feel especially bad for challenging you?

And I also never accused your daughter of not being willing to work hard. I was simply giving sincere advice on how I would deal with your entire situation and added the part about a child who wouldn't actually search for and then do recommended exercises because my experience tells me that a parent is likely to have to deal with that exact situation so I was giving pre-emptive advice and making no judgment on you or your daughter.

I'll end with this. Youtube has great instructive videos. And I find that the number of views are usually a good indicator of which videos are effective. If you are willing to work out with your daughter it will greatly speed up her achievement. Together you will weed through the
          garbage, find effective drills, and probably both learn a great deal of the nuances (the things that really separate the good players from the great one's) involved in the wonderful game of soccer.

No, you didn't SAY it, but you absolutely inferred it:

If she won't put in the time to find them and do them, then I wouldn't be spending my hard earned money on club soccer.

Comment

I'll disagree with juggling. I've seen a kid who can juggle a tennis ball all day; her parents brag about it. She has no clue how to play soccer.

I get it's part of an understanding of the feel of a ball and how it is around your feet, but there I'd suggest keeping the ball on the floor and working footskills that way.

"Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate."

-Johan Cruyff
            We all get the same instagram posts and quotes. Juggling is not the end all be all of technique but it is an important tool for improving touch and comfort with the ball. What is best is it does not require much space so it can be done almost anywhere in the house.

Comment

We all get the same instagram posts and quotes. Juggling is not the end all be all of technique but it is an important tool for improving touch and comfort with the ball. What is best is it does not require much space so it can be done almost anywhere in the house.

Nope, I don't have instagram. I've been a follower of Cruyff for as long as I can remember, going back to before he was in the NASL.

What sucks about juggling is it's a pain to do in the house. Much better spending your time not trying to be a circus act and doing something that is game-related.

Comment

No, you didn't SAY it, but you absolutely inferred it:
                Here's the sentence you use to form that conclusion:

'If she won't put in the time to find them and do them, then I wouldn't be spending my hard earned money on club soccer.'

NOTE THE FIRST WORD IN THAT SENTENCE!!! IF! A very powerful 2 letter word. You would have a point if I left out the word 'if' . Read the sentence without the first word 'if'. Read a little different?

My last post gave the explanation of why I made this point. If you want to ignore it, be my guest. I'm guessing you spend a lot of energy making judgments about people based on presumed slights against you that aren't actually there. IF you pass these traits onto, your daughter, you're doing her no favors.

Comment

Nope, I don't have instagram. I've been a follower of Cruyff for as long as I can remember, going back to before he was in the NASL.

What sucks about juggling is it's a pain to do in the house. Much better spending your time not trying to be a circus act and doing something that is game-related.
                  I would counter that juggling is game related, although in an indirect way. It helps improve first touch, ability to take ball down in the air, foot eye coordination applicable for volleys or clearings, playing ball on the bounce, etc. I will not argue that most freestyle looks silly to me but the general concept of juggling isnt necessarily bad. It is also sometimes good to just learn to have fun with a ball at your feet and not take everything so seriously like if it isnt immediately applicable it has no value.

Definitely this does not take the place of footwork patterns, wall work or dribbling exercises though. There has to be a balance. For me, I will always take a kid who enjoys playing with a ball, no matter how, as often as possible.

Comment

I would counter that juggling is game related, although in an indirect way. It helps improve first touch, ability to take ball down in the air, foot eye coordination applicable for volleys or clearings, playing ball on the bounce, etc. I will not argue that most freestyle looks silly to me but the general concept of juggling isnt necessarily bad. It is also sometimes good to just learn to have fun with a ball at your feet and not take everything so seriously like if it isnt immediately applicable it has no value.

Definitely this does not take the place of footwork patterns, wall work or dribbling exercises though. There has to be a balance. For me, I will always take a kid who enjoys playing with a ball, no matter how, as often as possible.
                    ^^This. I'm not sure if juggling makes a kid's touch better, or if kids with great touch are naturally better jugglers, but all the best players on my kid's team are also those that can juggle 200+ times (this is u-little). Rare is the kid with good touch and can only get in <50 juggles.

Juggling is something that needs to be practiced and takes a good amount of time to become proficient at. The fact that a player can juggle 200+ times means that he/she has spent a lot of time on their own with the ball (the 10 minutes spent juggling as a warm-up at practice won't get any player very far), and, as the poster mentioned above, enjoys free play with the ball. Most kids aren't juggling the entire time when they go out to break their record. In between attempts, they are practicing moves, kicking against the wall, taking shots on goal, kicking the ball up high and controlling back to the ground, etc. It's all of this work beyond what they do at organized practice that makes these players so much more skillful.

Comment

I see mixed results with the best jugglers. The best juggler on one of my D's team is a terrible soccer player, and this is an ECNL player.

The worst players can't juggle.

It has some merit, but I'd rather see a player working on their footwork with the ball on the floor with an actual game-activity (step-overs, Cruyff turns, pull-backs, L-turns, etc.) then playing keepy-up.

Comment

I'll disagree with juggling. I've seen a kid who can juggle a tennis ball all day; her parents brag about it. She has no clue how to play soccer.

I get it's part of an understanding of the feel of a ball and how it is around your feet, but there I'd suggest keeping the ball on the floor and working footskills that way.

"Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate."

-Johan Cruyff
                        AMEN!

Just like basketball people want to look cool spinning a ball on their finger - does not make you a better player.

Comment

I bet Cruyff knew how to juggle, regardless of that quote.

Comment

I bet Cruyff knew how to juggle, regardless of that quote.
                            Of course he did. He also is one of, if not THE, brightest mind in the game of the last 50 years. He realizes what it is about. I'd trust him.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has clearly suggested kicking a ball against a wall. Personally I think that's better than juggling for developing touch.

Comment

Juggling ABSOLUTELY improves first touch. This alone helps in not losing the ball once it’s passed to you. Of course it doesn’t replace other training, it’s supplemental.

To improve possession my only advice is practice, practice, practice. Join as many outside trainings as possible with quality coaching. Also ask current coach how to do better. Play with friends. Play as much as possible!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X