college targeting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And BTNT strikes again. Fakes OP. Then waits to deliver his message with 10 points. And then congratulates himself. Beautiful.

Comment

5. After all of that if you think your kid is on a D1 trajectory start by breaking the D1 ranking of programs into a list of quarters. Start with the bottom 25%. Pick a couple of programs that at this point you think might work from a geographic standpoint and analyze their rosters. Split them into two groups. One containing the ones playing more than 50% of the minutes and the other containing primarily the bench players. Start by looking at the physical characteristics of the players and then look at the resumes that they brought into college. If your kids resume is on track to exceed what the starters have, move up to the list of programs containing the next quarter in the rankings and repeat the process, otherwise start the next step.

6. Go watch the team at the level you finally land on play. Remember that D1 programs can have 5 "play dates" in the spring. Its a perfect time to sit and watch. If possible find out the team's spring on field practice schedule and go watch them practice. Try to envision your kid out on the field with that team. If you can see it, stay there and start learning everything you can about the coach and the program. You have found a potential target program.

7. Now talk to as many club/HS level coaches as you can and ask them point blank if they could see your child making an impact for the program you have potentially targeted. If the consensus is yes, start working your soccer resources to arrange a personal reference and introduction to the coaching staff there. And away you go.
      I'm totally lost with these last 3 points, maybe I'm obtuse. 5. How do you know who's playing more than 50% of the game? 6. Target schools are far away......fly out there to gage if level of play is correct? 8. What does this even mean "start working your soccer resources to arrange a personal reference and introduction to the coaching staff there"........have your club coach reach out in advance with a reference?
      5. Look at the stats. Almost all will tell you how many minutes the team played. Add up the GK's minutes.

6. Targeting far flung schools is the hardest task with highest risk. If you don't want to put the work in to verify a fit you increase the likelihood things will go wrong. I do recognize a kids dreams don't always make sense though. You might be able to look at some games on the internet. Lots of programs do highlights on youtube. Not ideal but it might work in a pinch. You are still going to have to visit the school at some point though.

7. You are looking for a referral. It's just like a sales call. Easier to get in the door when someone has already opened it for you. You are looking for someone (doesn't necessarily have to be your club coach) who can personally call the coach at that program to basically say that your kid is interested in them, might the interest be reciprocal? Trust me that simple phone call will save you tons of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        And BTNT strikes again. Fakes OP. Then waits to deliver his message with 10 points. And then congratulates himself. Beautiful.
        He has learned from his past mistakes and greatly improved his technique

Comment

I agree. With everyone saying don't target too high, the flip side is targeting too low since everyone warns against targeting too high. When club coach first approached about what schools to reach out to and we were thinking of some local low level D1s (with mostly local kids on the rosters), coach looked like we were nuts and said I think she can do better than that.
          Regardless of the level there are basically 3 roles on a team that you might be interested in slotting your kid into.

1. Impact starter playing 80-90% of the minutes

2. Solid contributor playing about 50% of the minutes

3. A practice player who rarely sees the field

The thing to recognize is your kid might just be a practice level player at one level program whereas they could a solid impact starter at lower level one. Usually when the money offers start coming in it helps you do the final phase of targeting. The top money goes to the impact starters. If you get nothing but crap offers it really tells you that you targeted too high.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
            not a helicopter parent, but very type a. Just don't want her to limited opportunities by getting in the game too late and since she's doing showcases with the team anyway..... Also, her coach is already asking her which schools to contact on her behalf. Doubt she'll ever stop playing, it's all she wants to do.
            troll alert!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2405616]
              5. After all of that if you think your kid is on a D1 trajectory start by breaking the D1 ranking of programs into a list of quarters. Start with the bottom 25%. Pick a couple of programs that at this point you think might work from a geographic standpoint and analyze their rosters. Split them into two groups. One containing the ones playing more than 50% of the minutes and the other containing primarily the bench players. Start by looking at the physical characteristics of the players and then look at the resumes that they brought into college. If your kids resume is on track to exceed what the starters have, move up to the list of programs containing the next quarter in the rankings and repeat the process, otherwise start the next step.

6. Go watch the team at the level you finally land on play. Remember that D1 programs can have 5 "play dates" in the spring. Its a perfect time to sit and watch. If possible find out the team's spring on field practice schedule and go watch them practice. Try to envision your kid out on the field with that team. If you can see it, stay there and start learning everything you can about the coach and the program. You have found a potential target program.

7. Now talk to as many club/HS level coaches as you can and ask them point blank if they could see your child making an impact for the program you have potentially targeted. If the consensus is yes, start working your soccer resources to arrange a personal reference and introduction to the coaching staff there. And away you go.[/QUOTE

I'm totally lost with these last 3 points, maybe I'm obtuse. 5. How do you know who's playing more than 50% of the game? 6. Target schools are far away......fly out there to gage if level of play is correct? 8. What does this even mean "start working your soccer resources to arrange a personal reference and introduction to the coaching staff there"........have your club coach reach out in advance with a reference?
              Most programs have stats that will tell how much kids are playing. Many have game logs, and you can see that player x entered at 32 minutes and departed at 41 minutes, etc. Doesn't have to be super scientific, but there's info out there that you can use as a reality check.

If too far to fly out and inspect in person, do some research to find local schools in a similar competitive band, conference, RPI level, etc. and go see them and the types of athletes they're getting (e.g., you can't fly to Dayton, but Dayton is in the mid-pack of the A10 - similar to UMass; and has RPI similar to Hartford; go see them perhaps?)
              - not the OP

Comment

troll alert!
                Why? Actually describes most soccer parents quite well. It's the ones who say that they are only in it for the exercise/esoteric goals that are the real trolls

Comment

Why? Actually describes most soccer parents quite well. It's the ones who say that they are only in it for the exercise/esoteric goals that are the real trolls
                  Troll Alert! Gee, my daughter plays like Alex Morgan on a HS varsity team, but she’s only 12. She took AP courses since she’s also a genius and is now in HS at a tender age. Her coach keeps asking me whether he should call Jill Ellis or Stanford. Is it too early for me to schedule campus visits at 12? BTW, I have unlimited time and money to pursue whatever 20 point advice that I (a sorry, meant you) give me in the next 5 posts.

Seriously, some screwed up folks on TS...

Comment

Troll Alert! Gee, my daughter plays like Alex Morgan on a HS varsity team, but she’s only 12. She took AP courses since she’s also a genius and is now in HS at a tender age. Her coach keeps asking me whether he should call Jill Ellis or Stanford. Is it too early for me to schedule campus visits at 12? BTW, I have unlimited time and money to pursue whatever 20 point advice that I (a sorry, meant you) give me in the next 5 posts.

Impressive cynicism. I missed the Alex Morgan and AP classes mentioned in the OP's post. Thanks for catching them for me.

Comment

Didn't really think the original post sounded unrealistic, why all the anger?

Comment

Didn't really think the original post sounded unrealistic, why all the anger?
                        Troll or not, do you think it’s constructive giving page long advice to a 8th grader’s father who wants to begin the recruiting process when his daughter hasn’t expressed a strong desire to go along? Sounds nuts to me.

Comment

Troll or not, do you think it’s constructive giving page long advice to a 8th grader’s father who wants to begin the recruiting process when his daughter hasn’t expressed a strong desire to go along? Sounds nuts to me.
                          The OP seemed to add more info in answering other posts, and seemed to want answers. I’ve always appreciated a thoughtful, detailed response vs a quick nasty comment or something vague and ultimately useless.

Someone took some time to help. And no, it wasn’t me who wrote it.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with a parent trying to educate themselves and understand the lay of the land before they need to start the college recruiting process.

One thing I quibble with, among all the helpful advice, is that the only thing that counts on a soccer resume is NT call ups. Of course if your player has that, fantastic! But 99.9% if not 100% of TS parents don't have NT players. Certainly on the boys' side anyway.

But a soccer resume can have impact with slightly lower credentials.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with a parent trying to educate themselves and understand the lay of the land before they need to start the college recruiting process.

One thing I quibble with, among all the helpful advice, is that the only thing that counts on a soccer resume is NT call ups. Of course if your player has that, fantastic! But 99.9% if not 100% of TS parents don't have NT players. Certainly on the boys' side anyway.

But a soccer resume can have impact with slightly lower credentials.
                              My kid plays for a dreadful Revs team. There won't be any accolades.

Comment

Another follow on point: I believe most colleges livestream their games, so no need to fly out to see their style of play etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X