Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Or college. College coaches are just as bad. Good luck going to the college AD to get the pressure of your kid.
    Kids can fend for themselves, if we raise them right. By high school and college, they should know how to put a bully in its place or blow them off, whichever they see fit.

Comment

Kids can fend for themselves, if we raise them right. By high school and college, they should know how to put a bully in its place or blow them off, whichever they see fit.
      Totally agree. Many parents are over involved and don't let their kids struggle a bit now and then. Then when it starts getting harder, like HS (sports and academics), they're ill prepared for the challenge. My wife works in a high school on the office staff. The stories she brings home about parents? OMG. And no shocker that those kids struggle once they get to college.

Comment

All these snowflake kids who can't take getting yelled at and parents who believe their kids have been wronged. Wait until you get into HS. You think the yelling is bad in club, you haven't seen anything yet.

I'm sure the parents will just go have a chat with the AD. That's what this generation of wimps does: let their parents squeal until little Johnny or Mia get more play time or play their preferred position.

Not sure what happened between the Greatest generation, the Boomers, Gen-X and Millennials, but somewhere along the line, we raised a bunch of wimps. I blame the BPA in plastics...
        Low t...

Comment

All these snowflake kids who can't take getting yelled at and parents who believe their kids have been wronged. Wait until you get into HS. You think the yelling is bad in club, you haven't seen anything yet.

I'm sure the parents will just go have a chat with the AD. That's what this generation of wimps does: let their parents squeal until little Johnny or Mia get more play time or play their preferred position.

Not sure what happened between the Greatest generation, the Boomers, Gen-X and Millennials, but somewhere along the line, we raised a bunch of wimps. I blame the BPA in plastics...
          Would you yell at a kid during a piano recital?

Comment

Really? The kids are snowflakes? Then why is the coach getting so emotional over a 12 year old girls soccer game that the only way he can communicate is by yelling and berating kids playing a kids game?

The kids are kids, if they are upset about an adult they are supposed to look up to and trust who is humiliating them in front of friends and their parents that makes more sense to me than why a supposedly well adjusted, professional adult is so upset at a kids soccer game. But yeah, the KIDS are the snowflakes.

Comment

At the U14 level and below, its really poor coaching to call out a player to the level of embarassment in front of their teammates. And you are on the right path, it was probably the way it was done to the coach 20-30 years ago, so they don't know any better. Coaching has come a long way since then. At the older ages, the kids should be a bit tougher and understand it as a motivating tool for the player and the team. But still coaches should me mindful of the excess. Just look at the master coach of all time, Bill Belichek and you'll see why bully coaching doesn't work.
              Overall, bad coaches get easily frustrated, blurt out the first thing on their minds, and are too lazy to remember to discuss it later. Good coaches will remember the fault, talk to the player on the sidelines, or after the game. More often that not, the kid wanted to do the right thing, but made a mistake on the ball or had poor execution. Coaches have to realize that kids are not robots and there is no joy stick for the coach to use. Mistakes happen.
              This has to be a reference to SM at Stars right?? I hear he has a new tattoo that says “Great Coach” right above his DA tattoo!

Comment

Really? The kids are snowflakes? Then why is the coach getting so emotional over a 12 year old girls soccer game that the only way he can communicate is by yelling and berating kids playing a kids game?

The kids are kids, if they are upset about an adult they are supposed to look up to and trust who is humiliating them in front of friends and their parents that makes more sense to me than why a supposedly well adjusted, professional adult is so upset at a kids soccer game. But yeah, the KIDS are the snowflakes.
                Exactly. Grown adults yelling at 12 year old girls is for the mentally deranged. They are definitely snowflakes , if they get triggered and emotional about a little girls making mistakes at a soccer game. Sad.

Comment

Same snowflake coach who wants to win more than the kids. Very odd.

Comment

It's not the wimps that are creating most of the problem, it's us, the Gen-X and Boomer parents not making them fight their own battles. If someone is being physically abused that is a completely different situation. No one should tolerate that. But, yelling, unless the coach is calling out the kid by using some confidential information (medical problem; family situation and the like), let the kid toughen up and learn that it's not always happy talk and people choosing their words. We parents need to let them learn how to defend themselves. Otherwise, keep that basement room open. You kid will be living in it for a long time.

Comment

It's not the wimps that are creating most of the problem, it's us, the Gen-X and Boomer parents not making them fight their own battles. If someone is being physically abused that is a completely different situation. No one should tolerate that. But, yelling, unless the coach is calling out the kid by using some confidential information (medical problem; family situation and the like), let the kid toughen up and learn that it's not always happy talk and people choosing their words. We parents need to let them learn how to defend themselves. Otherwise, keep that basement room open. You kid will be living in it for a long time.
                      It's not a new thing. Kids in the 70s were taught to respect authority and be coachable. Very rarely did a 12 year old kid talk back to an aggressive coach. So I don't see how that would change in this day. If a coach has a limited vocabulary and has trouble choosing his words, then the coach is a moron and not worth my time.

Comment

It's not a new thing. Kids in the 70s were taught to respect authority and be coachable. Very rarely did a 12 year old kid talk back to an aggressive coach. So I don't see how that would change in this day. If a coach has a limited vocabulary and has trouble choosing his words, then the coach is a moron and not worth my time.
                        Great, now coaches are supposed to be as smart as English professors.
                        What are you going to complain about next?
                        Is it ok to be a smart bully?

Comment

This has to be a reference to SM at Stars right?? I hear he has a new tattoo that says “Great Coach” right above his DA tattoo!
                          Is there really a coach with a DA tattoo??? 😂😂😂

Comment

what a d!ck
                            Don't worry about this one, we have his Ip address.

Comment

summary

1. There are coaches that have no real knowledge about how to get the most from youth soccer players
                              2. There are parents who are equally 'bully-ish' in their mentality as these coaches
                              3. There are definitely kids who do not have enough inner 'toughness' to tolerate the berating by coaches, and, in some cases, the parents of these, or even worse, other players. However, these kids should be berated in the first place.
                              4. Yelling and other coaching tools are fine as long as they are constructive.
                              5. Some kids simply see a goal and are heading toward it now matter what is said.
                              6. There are different tolerances by the players depending on age, however, constructive coaching still dominates.

To those who wonder why it might be expected that coaches know english and have some knowledge of child psychology, I have this to say:
                              1. It is America and the players speak English. Do they need to know professor like english. Absolutely not, but they need to effectively communicate.
                              2. There is absolutely no value in destroying a child or teenager. There is immense value to the player, the team, and the club in building up players. In fact, constructive coaching requires the same, and in the long run, less effort then destructive coaching.
                              3. For those who see youth soccer in this country as a business, then the customer deserves to get value for their dollar. If the club selects a player then the club owes the customer a proper service to train and develop.
                              4. Regarding #3....buyer beware. This is how the system works. For clubs who have a reputation for bad coaching they will eventually lose out.

We have experienced coaching from three different clubs in our years with our children. Overall, GPS has provided the best and most balanced coaching. This is, in part, why they are a successful business as well as a youth soccer training organization. They have many very good teams. Are they Academy? No. Are Academy coaches great? No.

Buyer Beware.

Comment

1. There are coaches that have no real knowledge about how to get the most from youth soccer players
                                2. There are parents who are equally 'bully-ish' in their mentality as these coaches
                                3. There are definitely kids who do not have enough inner 'toughness' to tolerate the berating by coaches, and, in some cases, the parents of these, or even worse, other players. However, these kids should be berated in the first place.
                                4. Yelling and other coaching tools are fine as long as they are constructive.
                                5. Some kids simply see a goal and are heading toward it now matter what is said.
                                6. There are different tolerances by the players depending on age, however, constructive coaching still dominates.

To those who wonder why it might be expected that coaches know english and have some knowledge of child psychology, I have this to say:
                                1. It is America and the players speak English. Do they need to know professor like english. Absolutely not, but they need to effectively communicate.
                                2. There is absolutely no value in destroying a child or teenager. There is immense value to the player, the team, and the club in building up players. In fact, constructive coaching requires the same, and in the long run, less effort then destructive coaching.
                                3. For those who see youth soccer in this country as a business, then the customer deserves to get value for their dollar. If the club selects a player then the club owes the customer a proper service to train and develop.
                                4. Regarding #3....buyer beware. This is how the system works. For clubs who have a reputation for bad coaching they will eventually lose out.

We have experienced coaching from three different clubs in our years with our children. Overall, GPS has provided the best and most balanced coaching. This is, in part, why they are a successful business as well as a youth soccer training organization. They have many very good teams. Are they Academy? No. Are Academy coaches great? No.

Buyer Beware.
                                Good points until you spout the advertisement for GPS
                                Just couldn’t leave it alone, could you

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X