Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Recording Setup

For those of you recording dd or ds, what type of setup do you recommend?

Keep it simple and build up.
    -recording isn't rocket science but still watch some youtube videos on basic recording skills(how to hold, how to stand, how to turn). 20mins of youtube will make you a much better recorder
    -use smart phone for now, unless you already have a camcorder. Keep it wide and don't zoom.
    -get low budget consumer camcorder, buy used or ask a family or friend who has one, many people have them but never use them
    -get tripod, microphone, other accessories
    -get higher budget consumer camcorder, used market is small but you can try ebay, plan to spend at least $300 at this level
    -go pro consumer camcorder, welcome to the big leagues

Comment

I use a couple of setups depending on the venue. If I know we're in a stadium or bleacher stands, I typically use a Benro monopod (it actually has 3 small stabilizing feet) and 'hand hold' the camcorder. I don't bother with the arm because I find it easier to follow the action and also manipulate the zoom when needed. I started with a tripod, but find that the monopod is easier to deal with in the stands without trying to figure out where to put the legs. Either way, look for a video or fluid head as it makes the panning smoother, especially when first moving the camera from a stand still. I agree with trying to stay as wide angle as possible, but do zoom in when the ball is in the far corners.

I also have a 'Hi-pod' type setup that I custom built from components on B&H Photo. Their sales people were actually very helpful in giving me ideas to put it together. It actually packs down small enough that I can travel with it and it falls within the standard checked baggage dimensions. Basically, it consists of a light stand, motorized head and controller, monitor, and wired remote control for the camcorder. It takes about 10 mins to get it setup at the field.

As for the camcorder, I have an older Sony CX160 that I started with years ago and also a newer Sony AX100. The CX160 is very compact and I still use it on occasion, but I default to the AX100 which has a few extra bells and whistles - namely a ND filter, manual controls, and dual recording to MP4. With either camera, for soccer games I record in AVCHD in 1080i at a mid-range bitrate (~12-17 Mb/s). Even though the AX100 can record in 4K, it's not feasible to do a whole game and manage the file sizes. The dual recording feature is really nice in that it automatically records in both AVCHD and a lower res MP4 file that I can upload fairly quickly for sharing without having to re-encode first. The AVCHD files are about 4-5GB per half and the MP4 files are around 1GB per half.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Just set it up for our team:
        Camcorder with wifi,
        Telescoping painter pole with clicksnap adapter to mount camera
        Ipad mini at eye level, with pole mount to monitor and control zoom.
        Pretty basic, including camera less than $400. Already had the ipad.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X