Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A team and practicing with better players vs B and more playing time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    some players aren't good on the field in game situations. open your eyes. by and large coaches play the players that will help them win. sure there's some favoritism and politics in youth sports but it's not nearly the degree that some imagine. more often parents can't admit their kids aren't as good as they think.
    No illusions of grandeur. When someone else has coached the team and got more time playing kid did really well. Other parents commented and have noticed.

Comment

No illusions of grandeur. When someone else has coached the team and got more time playing kid did really well. Other parents commented and have noticed.
      Speak up or find a new coach

Comment

Speak up or find a new coach
        With the number of teams here in CT it is easy to find a team where your player will be one of the better players and get plenty of playing time. dont go on a team where you play limited minutes at the end of the first half.

Comment

I'd have her play with the B team, but ask if you can train once a week (maybe even twice) with the A team. That's the best of both worlds. However, if the B team is really well below her level, she's not going to get anything at all out of it and will be frustrated with the other players (why most kids leave town soccer in the first place). If this is the case, you'll have to look for another club with either a bit weaker A team, or a stronger B team for a better all around fit.

Comment

some players aren't good on the field in game situations. open your eyes. by and large coaches play the players that will help them win. sure there's some favoritism and politics in youth sports but it's not nearly the degree that some imagine. more often parents can't admit their kids aren't as good as they think.
            Some definitely are not, but in the case of my kids, they generally make the right decisions and complete their passes to a teammate that often does not do the right things and often turns the ball over. It limits my kid and everyone else's touches. Seriously considering going elsewhere as I do not see this changing any time soon and the coaches seem fine with it. The only kid(s) that will get better are the ones making all of the mistakes all of the time.

Comment

I'd have her play with the B team, but ask if you can train once a week (maybe even twice) with the A team. That's the best of both worlds. However, if the B team is really well below her level, she's not going to get anything at all out of it and will be frustrated with the other players (why most kids leave town soccer in the first place). If this is the case, you'll have to look for another club with either a bit weaker A team, or a stronger B team for a better all around fit.
              This is my daughter’s problem. Left town travel as she was frustrated with many of her teammates. Awful passing etc... Several are on the B team at her club.

Comment

Question Man Responds

My daughter was the last kid cut from Varsity her freshman year. She was so disappointed but it turned out to be a good thing. She would have sat the bench. Instead she started on JV and her confidence improved so much. At the end of freshman season the JV scrimmaged the varsity bench players and beat them. Because they knew how to play together. The next three years she was on varsity and did great!
                One of the biggest flaws in a high school coaching philosophy is to see the JV squad and varsity squad as two separate entities. PUtting a hard wall between these levels simply stymies the development of the entire program.

A savvy head coach understands that he or she runs a program and not just a squad in the program. I've watched our high school coach for a while now and notice that his staff doesn't pick "teams" in their tryouts. They simply have a set number of field players and GKs they want across the entire program and they select just to that number. After cuts, they spend the rest of their tryouts sorting out the kids. The coach deliberately creates a reduced roster count on his varsity roster and that allows him to move up JV players each and every game to support the varsity. He doesn't favor long benches with kids not playing.

The trick that makes this work is that he does as much as possible to have the varsity and JV players train together, working on the same things and the same tactics all the time. Players brought up to fill the bench or cover for injury/illness are prepared and there's no real learning curve to overcome.

I suspect that this coach would probably seek to do the same at a club level where there would be A and B squads in the same age group.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X