Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 State of Play/Pandemic Impact on Youth Sports

The Aspen Institute issued its latest State of Play on youth sports in America. No doubt the pandemic has hit youth sports hard, even among kids who used to participate.

"One big problem the study uncovered is that 29 percent of kids say they are no longer interested in playing sports. These aren’t kids who sat on the couch all day: They are kids who used to play sports before the pandemic. That’s higher than the 18 percent who said they didn’t want to go back to sports at the beginning of the pandemic.

So the bad news is that kids are playing less, and some kids are thinking of staying on the sidelines.

The good news is that people at the Aspen Institute and other places are working on solutions. They suggest youth sports should recognize the right of every kid to play, not just the so-called “stars.” And everyone should support local community sports organizations for kids instead of expensive travel leagues.

The pandemic has changed a lot of things. Maybe it will change kids’ sports for the better."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...mments-wrapper

For soccer the news continues to be less than ideal - while there was an ever so slight increase 2018-19 in participation, the sport is still less popular than it was ten years ago. The drop in kids 6-12 is definitely not good news.

% playing outdoor soccer 2008 vs 2019

Ages 6-12 10.4% 7.7%
    Ages 13-17 7.9% 3.1%

Not surprised at all.
    Leadership has been terrible no matter how you view the pandemic.
    Shutdown does not equal pause. Shutdown had dire consequences. It will take more then a decade trying to recover from the “well intentioned” stuff that transpired.
    People have been irreparably harmed by the response.

Comment

Well I can tell you that a combination of FaceTime/Kids Messenger while playing Minecraft, Roblox, or Among Us has really emulated the camaraderie and competition similar to sports all from your PJs for kids U9-U12. Hey who doesn’t like playing games with friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Well I can tell you that a combination of FaceTime/Kids Messenger while playing Minecraft, Roblox, or Among Us has really emulated the camaraderie and competition similar to sports all from your PJs for kids U9-U12. Hey who doesn’t like playing games with friends?
        You must be a CFC parent

Comment

my oldest is quitting club soccer. She is playing in HS right now, but does not want to go back to her team in the spring. I think quarantine allowed her to stay home, less stress, and with less traveling for out of state games. I am trying to convince her to just go back and play town, but she is not interested.

Comment

my oldest is quitting club soccer. She is playing in HS right now, but does not want to go back to her team in the spring. I think quarantine allowed her to stay home, less stress, and with less traveling for out of state games. I am trying to convince her to just go back and play town, but she is not interested.
            Bu bye!!

Comment

Bu bye!!
              Didn't take long for the aholes to return

Comment

Kids need to figure out what motivates them and do it on their own. She could change her mind, but if she doesn't encourage her to use the extra time to get some meaningful resume building experiences. Frankly colleges don't care much about club soccer

Comment

Kids need to figure out what motivates them and do it on their own. She could change her mind, but if she doesn't encourage her to use the extra time to get some meaningful resume building experiences. Frankly colleges don't care much about club soccer
                  Very true, it doesn't move the needle

Comment

Around the age of 16 you see many players dropping out for many reasons. It happens every year. Social, academic or maybe they simply are burnt out.

Comment

Youth sports is going to take a huge hit. Tons of kids are finding other things to do besides sports. Parents are enjoying not spending thousands on club sports. My kid decided she only wants to play in high school. She's in 8th grade and her middle school only practices, no games. She quit her club team and we'll just have her do some skills training throughout the year for a fraction of the cost to keep her skills up for high school tryouts next year. She is done with serious sports commitment. The restrictions took the fun out of it for her.

Comment

Around the age of 16 you see many players dropping out for many reasons. It happens every year. Social, academic or maybe they simply are burnt out.
                        Around that age is when you need to decide if playing in college is a goal and/ornif ots realistic. If it isn't then questioning club soccer is warranted, especially if it is costly and time consuming. There are other options out there to keep playing without the time and money suck - and , you know, FUN.

Comment

Youth sports is going to take a huge hit. Tons of kids are finding other things to do besides sports. Parents are enjoying not spending thousands on club sports. My kid decided she only wants to play in high school. She's in 8th grade and her middle school only practices, no games. She quit her club team and we'll just have her do some skills training throughout the year for a fraction of the cost to keep her skills up for high school tryouts next year. She is done with serious sports commitment. The restrictions took the fun out of it for her.
                          don't fret...hopefully she will find her niche in high school

Comment

29% drop in youth sports this year.
                            Not good.

https://www.outkick.com/mass-exodus-...fyN8q63mTbilQ0

Comment

Yes, definitely Much better to put in activities like Binge Watched Entire Grey's Anatomy Series in Spring 2020, Mastered Minecraft Winter 2020, and Watched Every YouTube Star’s Video (people adults have never heard of) Spring 2021 than to participate in youth sports
                              Colleges love that sh/t.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X