X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Camp

Couple questions regarding ID Camps:

1. My son is a sophomore and I am starting to receive daily emails about ID camps. Most of them are camps with multiple coaches (usually assistant coaches)...they cost about $150-300 per camp. Are these worth it? My thought is that if he's interested in a school then he should just reach directly out to the coach for their ID camps. Thoughts?

2. Also...my son recently attended a college ID camp (it was sponsored by the college and only one school was there). He had a really good outing...a few days after the camp we received an email asking for him to keep them updated of his game schedule. Is this a template that goes out to all attendees of the camp. There were about 60 kids there.

I am familiar with the non-athlete college process (2 kids in college)...but still have a lot to learn about athlete/recruiting process. Don't want to waste time (or money) over the next couple years if I can help it.

Most are mass emails so be very wary of them. Take a look at the rosters and playing times of the current rosters. Does your son have a resume similar to those there? If not, don't waste your time. The multi school ones might seem more efficient but you are better off doing the individual school ones. Smaller is better too. Some are gigantic and really just pad the budgets. They're really only interested in the top 30 kids on their list anyway. You can use your club coach to also suss out interest. It goes without saying that he should focus on the schools that are teh best academic fit first, best soccer fit second. Start with that list and go from there. Most schools will have their upcoming events on the website. If they don't have your son use it as an opportunity to write the coach, introduce himself and ask if they have dates yet. Most have information pages to fill out also so have him do that as well.

Comment

I agree it is better to just go to the ID camps for the schools that would be a good fit for him. Unlike your other kids in college who weren’t student athletes, you are on a more accelerated schedule with your college selection since most players will know where they are committed to by mid-junior year of HS, particularly for decent D1 schools. He should try to whittle his list down to only those he can realistically get into and that he likes (visit campus informally, take in a soccer game on campus, etc.). If playing time is important, he should also be looking at the depth of the current commits and underclassmen in his position. If he’s a striker and they have a good bunch of those, he might ride the bench. Being in sophomore year, he should have his SAT/ACT scores and put together his academic/soccer resume and video and begin reaching out to college coaches (remember the new NCAA rules limit the outreach the coaches can do so he needs to coordinate with them, sometimes thru HS or club coaches). You should plan on ID camps all spring and summer. He should also get a profile set-up on the NCAA’s eligibility website now. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Most are mass emails so be very wary of them. Take a look at the rosters and playing times of the current rosters. Does your son have a resume similar to those there? If not, don't waste your time. The multi school ones might seem more efficient but you are better off doing the individual school ones. Smaller is better too. Some are gigantic and really just pad the budgets. They're really only interested in the top 30 kids on their list anyway. You can use your club coach to also suss out interest. It goes without saying that he should focus on the schools that are teh best academic fit first, best soccer fit second. Start with that list and go from there. Most schools will have their upcoming events on the website. If they don't have your son use it as an opportunity to write the coach, introduce himself and ask if they have dates yet. Most have information pages to fill out also so have him do that as well.
        Rather than “top 30 kids” I’d say they are only interested in the top 10 and out of those they might pick 7 or 8. If it’s a healthy program without a lot of turnover, they only need to replace their graduating seniors and a few redshirts, transfers, or washouts. They aren’t going to waste their time beyond immediate replacements.

Comment

Couple questions regarding ID Camps:

1. My son is a sophomore and I am starting to receive daily emails about ID camps. Most of them are camps with multiple coaches (usually assistant coaches)...they cost about $150-300 per camp. Are these worth it? My thought is that if he's interested in a school then he should just reach directly out to the coach for their ID camps. Thoughts?

2. Also...my son recently attended a college ID camp (it was sponsored by the college and only one school was there). He had a really good outing...a few days after the camp we received an email asking for him to keep them updated of his game schedule. Is this a template that goes out to all attendees of the camp. There were about 60 kids there.

I am familiar with the non-athlete college process (2 kids in college)...but still have a lot to learn about athlete/recruiting process. Don't want to waste time (or money) over the next couple years if I can help it.
          You should only send your kid to the camps where you think they have a legitimate shot at standing out for the coaches. More to the point if you evaluate that your kid is a legitimate prospect for a low level D1 program, you shouldn't waste your time and money sending them to a BC camp unless you are only interested in them having the experience there. Sometimes there is value in that but usually you end up reading from those sorts of parents how the ID camps are just a rip off etc etc because none of the coaches even glanced at their kid. Of course that is disheartening but the reason it happened was the kid wasn't actually good enough to warrant attention and that dashes a lot of hopes. If you target well that shouldn't happen.

Comment

Rather than “top 30 kids” I’d say they are only interested in the top 10 and out of those they might pick 7 or 8. If it’s a healthy program without a lot of turnover, they only need to replace their graduating seniors and a few redshirts, transfers, or washouts. They aren’t going to waste their time beyond immediate replacements.
            Yes they only need 5-8 replacements but they won't get all their top picks. Coaches also have to cast a wider net. Timing matter too. Should the thread ops kid go this summer he could land on their watch list for the following year. Timing matters.

Comment

More to the point if you evaluate that your kid is a legitimate prospect for a low level D1 program, you shouldn't waste your time and money sending them to a BC camp unless you are only interested in them having the experience there.
              BC was 4-8-4 so lets not group them with top programs. Great school, not great soccer.

I though about sending my kid to their camp but it's outside in January. No. Thank. You.

Comment

Targeting is absolutely critical. But if it's your dream school that you probably can get into without soccer and can spring for the camp why not. At least you know you tried. Otherwise focus on programs that are realistic

Comment

What about this camp?

https://www.collegiatesocceracademy.com/

Comment

Yes they only need 5-8 replacements but they won't get all their top picks. Coaches also have to cast a wider net. Timing matter too. Should the thread ops kid go this summer he could land on their watch list for the following year. Timing matters.

Great points by all. Thank you for the feedback. I don't want to burn him out but recognize this is a big year for him and he will have to do as much as he can in Feb and Apr as well as the summer. We will absolutely need to shrink his list and plan ahead if we only plan to attend ID camps for individual colleges...but that seems to make the most sense. Thanks again!

Comment

Multi school camps are generally a waste of time and money - except maybe for very small programs that dont run their own individual events. If you can't afford much then it may be worth doing. But treat it like a showcase. Reach out ahead of time so they look for you. Try and track them down at the event and introduce yourself

Comment

This is an expensive sleep away camp where a soccer match might break out. I'd treat it like practice for the camps that will really matter down the road.

Comment

Plugging your program, huh? These regional camps are dime a dozen. If there is a coach on staff that you want to get their attention then it can’t hurt if it doesn’t conflict with other college-sponsored ID camps you are really interested in. I would prioritize those over these regional camps. The college-sponsored camps are actually run by the whole staff, including the head coach, and the invitees include ones the program really has their eye on. This is your real competition. It’s also your chance to see how you fit in with the program and what you can expect from the coaches. No guarantee you get that type of exposure at a regional, privately-run camp.

Comment

My son is a freshman and he maintains that he wants to play Division 1 soccer. To be honest, I don't think it is even remotely within the realm of possibility that he makes it. Can someone recommend an legit D1 I.D. camp on the East Coast that I can send him to so he can develop a more realistic sense of the type of athletes he'd be competing with down the road?

Comment

My son is a freshman and he maintains that he wants to play Division 1 soccer. To be honest, I don't think it is even remotely within the realm of possibility that he makes it. Can someone recommend an legit D1 I.D. camp on the East Coast that I can send him to so he can develop a more realistic sense of the type of athletes he'd be competing with down the road?
                              Send him to one at a school nearby that he doesn't necessarily want to go to. In MA there's plenty of them, or UCONN has one. Don't send him to school he cares about until he's ready. Sounds like D3 is more his target so he still has plenty of time. Also, check the spring schedules of local D1 schools and try and catch a game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X