Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Recruiting Rules - Are Coaches Abiding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Recruiting Rules - Are Coaches Abiding?

Can we start a discussion on whether or not the new recruiting rules are changing the recruiting landscape? It seems more coaches are, in fact, holding off offers and communications.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can we start a discussion on whether or not the new recruiting rules are changing the recruiting landscape? It seems more coaches are, in fact, holding off offers and communications.
    They are supposed to, so one would hope that they are. Coaches weren't fans of early recruiting so they will adopt it quickly as long as they don't see a lot of other coaches skirting the system. It will take a little more time to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Let’s follow in the vein of ts posts and observations.
      Offers are only being delayed to secondary level players
      First team quality went out even earlier than normal
      Not sure what that means, though

Comment

So mqny loopholes. My sophomore is talking to several coaches.

Comment

Not sure if TDS is helpful here but that site doesn’t show many sophomores verbally committed for MA/NE. About 160-170 nation wide for 2021 girls.

Comment

Same, not very different that when her older sister went through.

The true test would be Sept 1 2019 and there's a flurry of commits at and just after that date. How do they commit if they weren't talking prior to Sept 1? This year didn't count

Comment

Not sure if TDS is helpful here but that site doesn’t show many sophomores verbally committed for MA/NE. About 160-170 nation wide for 2021 girls.
              May have mostly been already committed. Rules didn't start until late spring 2018

Comment

Since most players are going to be secondary players, it seems like most coaches are waiting till Sept 1st Jr. year to talk to players. I think it's a good thing. This way coaches don't have to gamble on early recruits that turn out to be duds senior year of high school

Comment

So many loopholes. My sophomore is talking to several coaches.
                  Is your kid a top player in the state?

Comment

Since most players are going to be secondary players, it seems like most coaches are waiting till Sept 1st Jr. year to talk to players. I think it's a good thing. This way coaches don't have to gamble on early recruits that turn out to be duds senior year of high school
                    In the long run it is the right thing to do. However, there are still easily breached loopholes in the system. Coaches will continue to take advantage of them especially for the top players that multiple programs want. That said, if it slows it down for "average" players and changes it from freshman year to sophomore year for the top players that is a big step in the right direction

Comment

Not sure how this works because, honestly, we thought this was a few years out. And, I don't think this is anything that is considered "recruiting"...but...in the last three months we have been contacted from colleges to attend either their summer camps or ID clinics. The e-mails are personalized (i.e. mentions club activity/showcases vs. "Hello, [insert player name here]).

We'd typically get generic camp e-mail blasts year round, but these seemed a bit different.

Again, I don't consider this recruiting, but is that normal?

Daughter isn't even in HS yet, but is a pretty good player playing up an age group.

Comment

Is your sophomore a girl? I'm just curious...my son is a sophomore and has reached out to coaches and was told by some that they can't talk until Junior year...and most said come to my ID camp.

Comment

Their sophomore could also be talking to D3 coaches fyi. D3 does not have to abide by the same rules re contact.

My sophomore son is also not talking with D1 coaches. (Please spare me the " that's because your son is no good" knee jerk posts).

Comment

For 2020 players, September 1st allowed for coaches to start talking to them. But are they being actively recruited? Did players all of a sudden get contacted by coaches in September?

Comment

My experience with a current sophomore girl. I believe it typical, happy to learn otherwise

Coaches ARE following the rules, but the rules have massive loopholes. Coach-to-coach communication is allowed, NCAA has no control over club/HS coaches, and HS players may initiate contact anytime (email schedules, place phone calls, show up on campus visits). The standard play is college coach sends email to coach saying "Liked watching Mia play.. She is welcome to call me at this number". Club/HS coach forwards email, talks with Mia, and responds "Mia will call you at this time". Same process for campus visit except college Mia is met by members of team who provide nice tour of campus, locker room, and chit chat about team culture, school etc.

From what I can tell there are no direct offers going out, but the communications between the coaches indicate level of interest and share the level of support they would provide to a player like that. Player/Parents can then tell club coach how they would respond to
                              an offer like that.

All of this started freshman year, and appears to be heating up heading into Sophomore spring. My expectation - I don't know - is that lists are pretty mature, and they will be sharpened this spring. Club coaches will act as message brokers of not-quite-official offers for all first wave recruits. On Sept 1 all the pre-staged offers get officially delivered, and then the waterfall begins.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X