• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Crave? I'm benefiting from it already.
    you quickly went from "we" to "me"

Comment

My son is being recruited by D1 programs.

Every free moment he's working out and practicing.

He NEVER watches soccer. He can't be bothered with it.

He LOVES the game but he's no fan of the game.

He may pass through our family room while I'm watching, or I'll call him in to see an amazing string of passes, or an incredible goal, but he never sits and watches.

Go figure.

Those that can do, those that can't complain on TS.
      This is also true of my D who is being recruited for D1. We always have soccer on and although my other D watches with us all the time (and is not playing in college), the one who will, never watches. Just not interested in watching sports, only playing them.

Comment

This is also true of my D who is being recruited for D1. We always have soccer on and although my other D watches with us all the time (and is not playing in college), the one who will, never watches. Just not interested in watching sports, only playing them.
        So she has “learned” the game solely from her coaches?

Comment

So she has “learned” the game solely from her coaches?
          Not the OP, but doubtful.

There are stories of athletes who loved playing, but not watching. Not common, but I have heard of it. Some people aren't wired to sit there for a couple of hours watching anything.

Comment

There are stories of athletes who loved playing, but not watching. Not common, but I have heard of it. Some people aren't wired to sit there for a couple of hours watching anything.
            Math without a text book...
            Hard to learn some of the nuance without visuals, in any sport
            Of course, if you’re bigger and faster, who needs nuance...

Comment

OP here. Yep this is her to a T. She cannot sit and watch anything that long. Not in her wiring! Of course she has watched some soccer throughout her life, as it’s always on. She has seen Premier League, Champions League and attended many Revs games. But she rarely just wants to sit down an watch a game we are watching. she’d rather snap chat her friends (she is 14 after all). But yes, to answer the other person’s question, most of her knowledge of the game has come through her parents, refereeing, but primarily through great coaching, and great instincts on how to play the game.

Comment

Math without a text book...
                Hard to learn some of the nuance without visuals, in any sport
                Of course, if you’re bigger and faster, who needs nuance...
                My son may be the best natural athlete in his high school. His vision is excellent and he processes things very quickly as well. You study the game for "nuance" while it comes naturally to him. It's the difference between him and you, or him and me for that matter.

Comment

Do I play at a high-level now? No, unless you count men's leagues.

I think more people do care about soccer. And, I don't think that will end.

My father knew next to nothing about soccer. Our town didn't even have a league until I was in the 6th grade. My HS coach was the wrestling coach.

My kid has grown up in a house where the game is always on. She grew up with a parent who played the game, loves the game, and follows it relentlessly. She is trained by professional coaches, all who have played the game at high levels.

You've got professional athletes in other sports (Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, etc.) who are fans of the game and who played it. That is much different from what I had growing up.

Will it ever be as big as the others? No. Does it need to be? No. The US is a big place, and our changing culture will only enhance that.
                  You make some good points. I am 68yo soccer grandpa, I was “introduced” to soccer in jr. high gym class; it was that other 11 a side game they made you play a class or two before you went inside for the winter; it was “taught” by the hs AD/football-basketball-baseball coach and gym teacher. I never played again. My son played town soccer, local club, district select, “big” club, ODP, high school, Development Academy (used to go on hiatus so kids could play HS (!)), and finally D1 College and PDL. So clearly, interest (and opportunities to play) have increased incredibly. You are right, our culture IS changing.

Comment

Many countries love the fact that US sucks at their sport. We dominate the world stage in politics, entertainment, economics....but not in soccer.
                    Totally agree. We can’t be the best at everything.

Comment

And you know what, we still don’t care.

Comment

Right. Politics and entertainment are something we should all be proud of.
                        Especially how seamlessly our Pres has merged the two...

Comment

US kids are not capable of playing at the highest levels of world soccer.
                          Other than for a few notable exceptions, and they are rare, the US athlete will never be able to dominate like we do in other sports.
                          Our blame lists are a million times longer than our success list
                          Soccer is an old game that has been played forever-it we haven’t figured it out by now, it’s too late

Time to let it go
                          Don’t agree. Those “few notable exceptions” are growing in number. We are getting there albeit slowly but surely. I expect that the US will be in the final four of the World Cup within the next thirty to forty years.

Comment

Don’t agree. Those “few notable exceptions” are growing in number. We are getting there albeit slowly but surely. I expect that the US will be in the final four of the World Cup within the next thirty to forty years.
                            Well, well, well. Aren’t you the optimist.
                            By then, Lithuania will be in the finals

Comment

US kids are not capable of playing at the highest levels of world soccer.
                              Other than for a few notable exceptions, and they are rare, the US athlete will never be able to dominate like we do in other sports.
                              Our blame lists are a million times longer than our success list
                              Soccer is an old game that has been played forever-it we haven’t figured it out by now, it’s too late

Time to let it go
                              1. If this is your goal then you should let go

2. Others have a more involved perspective and goals vary. As stated by others, the goal may not even be professional soccer in this country, but more so to play soccer in college

3. For others, the sport is used to help get into a school that may have been a 'reach' school. No different than if the HS student was a musician or part of some other club.

4. Overall, I believe you are wrong. Soccer is improving significantly in the US....granted slowly but improving. The influx of foreign talent is exciting US athletes to consider soccer.

5. Worldwide, there are only a few leagues that involve a large volume of great teams. EPL, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga.....The rest are no better or not to different than the MLS.

6. The MLS will continue to get stronger as the money increases and player salaries rise. Will soccer be at the same level as the four major sports? Not for some time. This will correlate with the 'money'. Lacrosse has stagnated.

7. Not that anyone has, but to compare College/University Soccer to the rest of the world is ridiculous.....it has a long way to go. Although talent is improving, it, again comes down to one thing....money. You only have to look at the crowd watching the college championship games and realize that the rest of the country is still more interested in the four major sports.

but.....soccer is improving

Comment

How many Americans will lose sleep if our men's team isn't successful? You could probably fit them all in the Cowboy's football stadium. Soccer doesn't matter to Americans.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X