•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We're already there.

My kid loves the game.

I love the scholarship money for college.

You forgot the 3rd faction:

3: those that don't realize America has better sports to worry about
    "Better" is subjective.

Sounds like you are more interested in taking the easy road, and just sticking to established sports where we already dominate the world.

Comment

"Better" is subjective.

Sounds like you are more interested in taking the easy road, and just sticking to established sports where we already dominate the world.
      Taking the easy road? Am I missing something? I'm not on any road. I'm a fan. Are you playing or coaching at an extremely high level? If not, I would suggest you stop talking about anyone taking "easy" roads. The United States has "established" sports because people prefer them. I understand that you have a hard time comprehending that Americans don't care about soccer, but they don't. You are an anomaly. Come to grips with it. Americans won't be embracing cricket any time soon either. The horror.

Comment

Short answer: Because no one cares

Longer answer: You are referring to men, and US Boys soccer is at best a 3rd tier sport. Here's a hypothetical: Starting next week 1/3/2019 I go to a D1/D2 public HS. I get to bring in my own coach and get my pick of 9th/10th grade athletes from the football, basketball, hockey, and lacrosse teams. You get the current 9th/10th graders playing HS soccer with current coach. After 20 months of focusing on soccer, those kids are now entering 11th/12th grade, who wins the 2020 Fall season?
        You do. The better the athlete (better not bigger!) you put into the soccer system, the better the soccer player that comes out. Our soccer system could certainly be improved but it doesn’t matter how good our soccer system is if the best athletes aren’t being inputted. The end product will always be less with lesser athletes.

Comment

"Better" is subjective.

It's the age-old paradigm challenge for soccer in this country. The better athletes are drawn to the other sports in this country, starting at a young age. My youngest, despite having an older sister playing D1 and another who will soon, quit at 9 to play hockey, b-ball, football & lacrosse despite showing a significant skill base at a young age. Trust me, we, and especially his mother, wanted him to play soccer but he determined it was a "soft" game (his words) and had zero interest in continuing. We have no idea where he got that from, it certainly wasn't from us.

Comment

Taking the easy road? Am I missing something? I'm not on any road. I'm a fan. Are you playing or coaching at an extremely high level? If not, I would suggest you stop talking about anyone taking "easy" roads. The United States has "established" sports because people prefer them. I understand that you have a hard time comprehending that Americans don't care about soccer, but they don't. You are an anomaly. Come to grips with it. Americans won't be embracing cricket any time soon either. The horror.
            Do I play at a high-level now? No, unless you count men's leagues.

I think more people do care about soccer. And, I don't think that will end.

My father knew next to nothing about soccer. Our town didn't even have a league until I was in the 6th grade. My HS coach was the wrestling coach.

My kid has grown up in a house where the game is always on. She grew up with a parent who played the game, loves the game, and follows it relentlessly. She is trained by professional coaches, all who have played the game at high levels.

You've got professional athletes in other sports (Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, etc.) who are fans of the game and who played it. That is much different from what I had growing up.

Will it ever be as big as the others? No. Does it need to be? No. The US is a big place, and our changing culture will only enhance that.

Comment

It's the age-old paradigm challenge for soccer in this country. The better athletes are drawn to the other sports in this country, starting at a young age. My youngest, despite having an older sister playing D1 and another who will soon, quit at 9 to play hockey, b-ball, football & lacrosse despite showing a significant skill base at a young age. Trust me, we, and especially his mother, wanted him to play soccer but he determined it was a "soft" game (his words) and had zero interest in continuing. We have no idea where he got that from, it certainly wasn't from us.
              Peer pressure. Meathead football parents pass it along to their kids....

Comment

That's a pretty ignorant synopsis, and shows an attitude that is indicative as to why the better athletes are drawn away, to not only football but basketball and track and field (which certainly does not qualify as a "meathead" sport).

Comment

Nope, too much pride and too much enjoyment in it. I'll continue to hope and dream and do what I can to push the game forward.

As quoted from a Dutch fan I sat next to in a friendly some years ago: "The world needs the US to be great in football. If the game could succeed here, it will only benefit all of us."
                  Many countries love the fact that US sucks at their sport. We dominate the world stage in politics, entertainment, economics....but not in soccer.

Comment

That's a pretty ignorant synopsis, and shows an attitude that is indicative as to why the better athletes are drawn away, to not only football but basketball and track and field (which certainly does not qualify as a "meathead" sport).
                    Sorry, was only speaking of my own experiences.

Many of my meathead friends mock the game. Their kids follow the lead of their parents.

What's funny is most of them have boys who play football and my D is 2x the athlete they are.

Comment

Many countries love the fact that US sucks at their sport. We dominate the world stage in politics, entertainment, economics....but not in soccer.
                      The naive fans from other countries, sure. They love to crap on the US, but most would move here in a heartbeat if they could.

The knowledgeable fan realizes if they US became a power, the game would be flooded with money and that only benefits them all.

Comment

Npt the poster and I don't agree with the "soft" comment. However kids are drawn to the sports their friends play. For the time being soccer is simply not as popular as the other sports. Kids will also be drawn to sports their friends and families follow - like football, basketball etc. If you come from a life-long Pats family you're pretty likely to be a Pats fan, not the Revs.

Comment

The naive fans from other countries, sure. They love to crap on the US, but most would move here in a heartbeat if they could.

The knowledgeable fan realizes if they US became a power, the game would be flooded with money and that only benefits them all.
                          The sport is already flooded with money.

Comment

Npt the poster and I don't agree with the "soft" comment. However kids are drawn to the sports their friends play. For the time being soccer is simply not as popular as the other sports. Kids will also be drawn to sports their friends and families follow - like football, basketball etc. If you come from a life-long Pats family you're pretty likely to be a Pats fan, not the Revs.
                            It can change. Like, my father was a lifelong Giants fan. The Pats didn't exist.

Comment

My son is being recruited by D1 programs.

Every free moment he's working out and practicing.

He NEVER watches soccer. He can't be bothered with it.

He LOVES the game but he's no fan of the game.

He may pass through our family room while I'm watching, or I'll call him in to see an amazing string of passes, or an incredible goal, but he never sits and watches.

Go figure.

Those that can do, those that can't complain on TS.

Comment

My son is being recruited by D1 programs.

Every free moment he's working out and practicing.

He NEVER watches soccer. He can't be bothered with it.

He LOVES the game but he's no fan of the game.

He may pass through our family room while I'm watching, or I'll call him in to see an amazing string of passes, or an incredible goal, but he never sits and watches.

Go figure.

Those that can do, those that can't complain on TS.
                                That sounds uncommon to me. No matter the sport, players follow it more often than not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X