Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Americans....Men

College All Americans Announced. The foreign influence has been discussed on the MENS side
    https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/...5-433d7524d2fe

Interesting is that well more than half of the DII AA and NAIA are from abroad
    https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/...ica_Teams.aspx

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/...ica_Teams.aspx

If all these other countries are supposedly superior in their soccer development, why can’t D2 and D3 teams trounce decent D1 teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      If all these other countries are supposedly superior in their soccer development, why can’t D2 and D3 teams trounce decent D1 teams?
      They don't play each other so there's that...

TopD2 would give top D3 a run for the money. T OP p D3 would be be competitive with lower D1. It's fluid, not a clear line in the sand. . Not every D2 team is stacked with internationals either, although the team that win this year's title was loaded and their opponent was not.

Comment

The better D2 teams down south ( South Atlantic Conference, Sunshine State) would compete with many D1 teams in this area. Contrary to what many probably believe around here, top to bottom, the NE-10 is NOT a strong conference.

Comment

I took a quick look at the D1 teams, both men's and women's. Other than the number of foreign players, I noted:

1) How few of this year's championship team players made it onto the All-American teams. You would think out of 30 or so selections that those teams would have more than 1 or 2 players.

2) How under-represented defenders are on some of the teams. It's not like a team typically has 5 or 6 forwards or midfielders!

Comment

I took a quick look at the D1 teams, both men's and women's. Other than the number of foreign players, I noted:

1) How few of this year's championship team players made it onto the All-American teams. You would think out of 30 or so selections that those teams would have more than 1 or 2 players.

2) How under-represented defenders are on some of the teams. It's not like a team typically has 5 or 6 forwards or midfielders!
            That always happens with defenders - no glory.

Comment

That always happens with defenders - no glory.
              They only get glory is the team has a lower GA and the defender has a couple of goals and assists.
              The offense wins games and the defense tries not to lose. Without stats, the average defender is a second rate citizen on the field.

Comment

They only get glory is the team has a lower GA and the defender has a couple of goals and assists.
                The offense wins games and the defense tries not to lose. Without stats, the average defender is a second rate citizen on the field.
                Unfortunately, that's the popular perception because most folks don't understand how soccer is actually played. Everyone loves the highlight reel showing the goals, but an attacker without a good defense behind them is useless. Soccer is a transitional game where players are playing multiple roles depending upon possession. Defense doesn't just prevent goals; more often than not they are winning the ball back and setting up the attack.

Comment

The better D2 teams down south ( South Atlantic Conference, Sunshine State) would compete with many D1 teams in this area. Contrary to what many probably believe around here, top to bottom, the NE-10 is NOT a strong conference.
                  On the woman’s side, the NE-10 is the strongest D2 conference in the country, and as region, the Northeast is the strongest in D2. The teams at the top of woman’s D2 would most definitely compete easily with D1 teams outside the top 25.

Comment

On the woman’s side, the NE-10 is the strongest D2 conference in the country, and as region, the Northeast is the strongest in D2. The teams at the top of woman’s D2 would most definitely compete easily with D1 teams outside the top 25.
                    I can’t say too much on the women’s side of things since I don’t follow it as much. But I am inclined to agree with you as many teams are ranked in the top 10 throughout the year.

However, I think it’s important to point out that the last time an NE-10 member won the national title was in 2011... In fact that was the last time anyone from the Ne-10 made it to the finals. Regionally, yes, UB did just win.

On the men’s side I have heard many people say before the NE-10 is the best and in my opinion that is far from the case.

Comment

I can’t say too much on the women’s side of things since I don’t follow it as much. But I am inclined to agree with you as many teams are ranked in the top 10 throughout the year.

However, I think it’s important to point out that the last time an NE-10 member won the national title was in 2011... In fact that was the last time anyone from the Ne-10 made it to the finals. Regionally, yes, UB did just win.

On the men’s side I have heard many people say before the NE-10 is the best and in my opinion that is far from the case.
                      UB won with 17 international players on the roster. The men's winner, Barry (FL - ever heard of it?) had 19.

Comment

UB won with 17 international players on the roster. The men's winner, Barry (FL - ever heard of it?) had 19.
                        Why Yes, Barry was one of my 4 final school choices.

That aside, yes Internationals are definitely more prevalent in top D2 programs. It lifts the quality of the soccer programs but does make it harder for locals to compete for roster spots. But the original point stands... the top D2 programs would fall somewhere between 30-75 in D1 rankings.

Comment

Why Yes, Barry was one of my 4 final school choices.

That aside, yes Internationals are definitely more prevalent in top D2 programs. It lifts the quality of the soccer programs but does make it harder for locals to compete for roster spots. But the original point stands... the top D2 programs would fall somewhere between 30-75 in D1 rankings.
                          I think that’s a little high. Some of them would fall in that range, but I think the majority would fall more like between 125-200. It’s difficult to gauge, but that’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen.

Comment

I think that’s a little high. Some of them would fall in that range, but I think the majority would fall more like between 125-200. It’s difficult to gauge, but that’s my opinion based on what I’ve seen.
                            Well that’s why I said the TOP of D2 (top 10). Of course the rest would not fall there.

Comment

Well that’s why I said the TOP of D2 (top 10). Of course the rest would not fall there.
                              That's how I meant it. I think of the top 10, the top 4 or 5 could fit into the top 35-70 of D1, but then I think the rest would be more sprinkled between 71-200.

I'm always weary of D2 rankings anyways. I have seen teams win a couple games then shoot up to the rankings, only for them to lose a couple and then never be heard of again. I think it's more erratic than in Division 1.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X