Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Recruiting Rules - Are Coaches Abiding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good info. Do clubs generally have staff to walk families through the process or is it all trial and error. Would you trust a club coaches appraisal of your kids skills and best college fit? Not sure how entrenched the clubs are with schools, clearly a newbie

8th grade d, hadn't considered any of these things because it seemed far away
    Never trust just one club or even just one club to determine what level of player you have. Way too many out there will tell you what you want to hear just to fill a roster spot. Use all of the coaches your kid comes into contact 9High school coach, camp coach etc) with to form a consensus opinion.

Comment

And discussions about the top 50 players in the country relate to readers on TS exactly how? That would interest about a dozen families nationwide that have yet to make a decision and none of them are reading this.

99 percent of players should not be making a decision about their college education based on a soccer program.

Comment

Good info. Do clubs generally have staff to walk families through the process or is it all trial and error. Would you trust a club coaches appraisal of your kids skills and best college fit? Not sure how entrenched the clubs are with schools, clearly a newbie

8th grade d, hadn't considered any of these things because it seemed far away
        At a minimum clubs should at lest be having a "Soccer in College" night for parents of High School students (and 8th grade girls - under current rules) to educate the parents on the process. They do not need to be a "mega" club to do this. Realistically any club with high School age players should be doing this. Something where they go over a powerpoint, maybe invite a local college coach for questions and answers, etc.
        And yes club coaches should be able to give an appraisal of a kids skills and college fit. If you know any parents of Sophomore or Junior girls at your club ask them If the club at least had a presentation for soccer in college, and ask if they did give their daughter feedback on playing in college and was it accurate. Their is some risk of coaches over-inflating kids appraisals to keep them at the club ('If she sticks with our team, she will be a D1 player"), but most coaches will not do this and if this done all the time you would start to hear about it.

Comment

And discussions about the top 50 players in the country relate to readers on TS exactly how? That would interest about a dozen families nationwide that have yet to make a decision and none of them are reading this.

99 percent of players should not be making a decision about their college education based on a soccer program.
          Correction .. 100 percent of players should not be making a decision about their college education based on a soccer program that is appropriate for their level of talent.

If your kid is a top 10 level talent they should be looking at top 10 programs. Conversely if they are a bottom 10 level talent they should be looking there instead of somewhere in the middle of the rankings. Probably the most common mistake.

As far as watching the top level talent goes, they are important because they are the ones that set the timelines for everyone else. Recruiting is a cascading process. The second best talents usually only get snapped up once the top level talents are gone.. and so on.

The only thing that these new rules are going to change is when the handshake agreement gets made public.

Comment

At a minimum clubs should at lest be having a "Soccer in College" night for parents of High School students (and 8th grade girls - under current rules) to educate the parents on the process. They do not need to be a "mega" club to do this. Realistically any club with high School age players should be doing this. Something where they go over a powerpoint, maybe invite a local college coach for questions and answers, etc.
            And yes club coaches should be able to give an appraisal of a kids skills and college fit. If you know any parents of Sophomore or Junior girls at your club ask them If the club at least had a presentation for soccer in college, and ask if they did give their daughter feedback on playing in college and was it accurate. Their is some risk of coaches over-inflating kids appraisals to keep them at the club ('If she sticks with our team, she will be a D1 player"), but most coaches will not do this and if this done all the time you would start to hear about it.
            Don't kid yourself. It's real hard for a coach to look a kid in her family in the eye and tell them they are a low level D1/D2 talent when you know darn well they have stars in their eyes believing that they are destined for major minutes in a top 100 level program. It's all part of the delusion clubs foster and few club coaches have the stones to piss on a kids dreams like that. Much easier to let them chase a unfounded dream and let the process give them a cold shower. That's what usually happens.

Comment

This was exactly what I was thinking!

Come on, people!

Comment

It’s market data. Just like in real estate the A properties dictate the price of the B,C, & D ones. Parents not understanding their market for their kid is precisely why you have so many families starting like everyone’s kid is a NT level prospect. Pretty stupid actually. The clubs really encourage this thinking because they don’t level with families and help them target appropriately. They just tell everybody the basics of recruiting and start them all at once. It’s more convenient and less work for them that way. The reality knowing when the top dogs are in play tells everyone else how much time they have. Parents should watch a few kids in the class ahead of their kid that they know are a smidge better than theirs to get the best read when they will need to react.

Comment

Don't kid yourself. It's real hard for a coach to look a kid in her family in the eye and tell them they are a low level D1/D2 talent when you know darn well they have stars in their eyes believing that they are destined for major minutes in a top 100 level program. It's all part of the delusion clubs foster and few club coaches have the stones to piss on a kids dreams like that. Much easier to let them chase a unfounded dream and let the process give them a cold shower. That's what usually happens.
                  That's too bad. I'm the parent so it's harder to be objective, this is where I'd appreciate the eyes and experience of the club. I'd rather hear the straight truth then chasing a school that doesn't fit.

Comment

This was exactly what I was thinking!

Come on, people!
                    You must have comprehension issues. I read Top 50 as pretty clearly a "unless you are a top 50...". I'll type slowly so you can understand. Guidance is Top 50 set their own timelines, the rest of us need understand the colleges timelines so that we don't miss it.

The following posts about the Cascade are also relevant. Top 50 go first, and both sides dream down from there.

Comment

That's too bad. I'm the parent so it's harder to be objective, this is where I'd appreciate the eyes and experience of the club. I'd rather hear the straight truth then chasing a school that doesn't fit.
                      Depends on the type of club you're with. Some are straight shooters, some will tell you what you want to hear. If you can solicit the opinions of more than one person do so.

Comment

I always like to start with 3 separate opinions. I would start with your kid's high school coach. Anyone who has been coaching for any length of time has seen where kids end up so should be able to give you some sense of where your kid fits. Next I would try to get the opinion of a club/college coach the works with your kid like their trainer or perhaps an ODP coach. Lastly I would ask your club coach. Basically you want all of them to give you a level projection and I would start by asking whether they see your kid as a D1-D2-D3 prospect then I would clarify where in each division they thought would be appropriate. For example top 1/3, middle 1/3 or bottom 1/3. Cross reference the opinions and you should be in the general ballpark.

Comment

I always like to start with 3 separate opinions. I would start with your kid's high school coach. Anyone who has been coaching for any length of time has seen where kids end up so should be able to give you some sense of where your kid fits. Next I would try to get the opinion of a club/college coach the works with your kid like their trainer or perhaps an ODP coach. Lastly I would ask your club coach. Basically you want all of them to give you a level projection and I would start by asking whether they see your kid as a D1-D2-D3 prospect then I would clarify where in each division they thought would be appropriate. For example top 1/3, middle 1/3 or bottom 1/3. Cross reference the opinions and you should be in the general ballpark.
                          Seriously? Ask your high school coach? Unless that coach is also a club coach, forget that opinion entirely. Ask your club coach for an honest opinion around freshman year. It should be fairly obvious who can play D1 based on team/league level and whether or not they are top half on that team.

Comment

Seriously? Ask your high school coach? Unless that coach is also a club coach, forget that opinion entirely. Ask your club coach for an honest opinion around freshman year. It should be fairly obvious who can play D1 based on team/league level and whether or not they are top half on that team.
                            Two of my kids had former college coaches as their high school coach. Some of them know more about where kids should end up than some foreign born club coach who doesn’t even understand our college system.

Comment

Two of my kids had former college coaches as their high school coach. Some of them know more about where kids should end up than some foreign born club coach who doesn’t even understand our college system.
                              Our boys HS coach is younger-ish former D1 player and is very well connected. He has helped several kids with college targeting and marketing themselves. We have some immigrant families in our town that have absolutely no idea how it all works. He got a few high potential kids scholarships at a decent club to help them train more and get more exposure. Not every HS coach is the stereotypical history teacher. Honesty from club coaches or DOCs is limited at best but it is out there.

Long ago we were also advised to go watch (or watch on video) some games at schools of interest. Watching a top D1 school crush a local one definitely gave one of mine a dose of reality.

Comment

I know a lot of talented 02s who are not getting recruited by the schools they thought they would. Not for lack of talent but because the schools that have shown interest are schools halfway across the country at schools they do t want to attend.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X