Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bates Women's Coach Out

Very sudden dismissal. She's been head coach since 2011. The team wasn't great but you'd think a performance related dismissal would have happened in November not late March. Not even a press release from the school or anything on their website. My kid who was once considering them got an email informing her of the change. Bates is a very good academic school. I wonder if the pay to play (or rather get admitted) at Yale, USC, Georgetown and others has also been going on at the Little Ivy schools?

I thought the same thing about the sudden mid-season resignation of Iona's coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Very sudden dismissal. She's been head coach since 2011. The team wasn't great but you'd think a performance related dismissal would have happened in November not late March. Not even a press release from the school or anything on their website. My kid who was once considering them got an email informing her of the change. Bates is a very good academic school. I wonder if the pay to play (or rather get admitted) at Yale, USC, Georgetown and others has also been going on at the Little Ivy schools?
      I’ll 95% guarantee that it’s related.

Comment

I’ll 95% guarantee that it’s related.
        It wouldn’t be surprising if all “highly competive” schools are combing their athletic rosters in search of shenanigans.

Comment

It wouldn’t be surprising if all “highly competive” schools are combing their athletic rosters in search of shenanigans.
          Oh they all are, those that care about protecting their reputation anyway

Comment

the power of Google -

https://thebatesstudent.com/2019/04/...tes-athletics/

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              People will say anything to start a rumor. Better yet college kids who don't get playing time will say anything to get a coach fired these days. Why so many college coaches are leaving the game. Administration does not support coaches anymore.
              Look at Trinity - kid gets caught with blow, coach wants her off the team but the AD and school side with the family because daddy is a lawyer. It's all about lawsuits. Cheaper to fire the coach than risk an ugly PR nightmare lawsuit. A coach is less likely to sue if there's anything questionable in their HR file or they don'thave a successful track record.

Comment

Why is the Bates (ME) head coach being talked about over here??

Comment

What do you mean “over here”? Just as a reminder for you, name of this website is called Talking Soccer. There are CT kids on the team as well dummy.

Comment

OP here. Read my starting post and you'll understand. Try to keep up.

Comment

The Bates coach told my kid if you don't have +1400 SAT scores, look elsewhere. Hard to field a successful D3 program with those academic standards. Plus Bates was at that time the most expensive school in the country.

Comment

The Bates coach told my kid if you don't have +1400 SAT scores, look elsewhere. Hard to field a successful D3 program with those academic standards. Plus Bates was at that time the most expensive school in the country.
                        Who would pay 70k to go to bates? Cra cra

Comment

Who would pay 70k to go to bates? Cra cra
                          There's a popular adage in the college advising community - there's a school for every student and every budget. But often times sanity goes out the window when it comes to what a family can afford and Bates families aren't alone in that. If more families took a pure dollars and cents approach to college many pricey liberal arts schools may not even stay open.

Comment

Maybe they prioritize running a successful academic program over a "successful" soccer program. Nothing wrong with that - they are a college, not a soccer club.

Comment

There's a popular adage in the college advising community - there's a school for every student and every budget. But often times sanity goes out the window when it comes to what a family can afford and Bates families aren't alone in that. If more families took a pure dollars and cents approach to college many pricey liberal arts schools may not even stay open.
                              I agree. Small liberal arts model is under attack. Schools are starting to pitch ROE in their marketing and 71k for a Gov degree isn’t throwing the returns it once did.

Lots of very smart kids at these schools. If the 280k price tag
                              Isn’t disruptive OR your income is low enough to qualify for FA, it’s a great education. For anyone in the middle it’s not worth it.

My oldest attended another NESCAC in Maine. Great school but not worth going into debt over. It’s almost all private school kids that attend and frankly it’s all IVY league hopefuls that didn’t make the cut. Fabricated elitism

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X