Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't see a huge difference between the ranking of Trinity and the ranking of a school like St. Anselm. Trinity is higher, sure. But the St. A's kid will be fine too.
    Nothing wrong with St A's at all but totally different than NESCACs and the like, although At. A's actually may be moving to D3. I will give you that St. A's, Stonehill and St Michaels are more like mid level D3s than most other D2s but still you almost will never see At A's and Midd or Colby on the same list.

Comment

Agree. NESCAC families are status conscious and believe selectivity and prestige directly equate to academic quality. The economic diversity and pedestrian student body of D2s is not palatable and unrealistic to believe they would be on same list.

Comment

Agree. NESCAC families are status conscious and believe selectivity and prestige directly equate to academic quality. The economic diversity and pedestrian student body of D2s is not palatable and unrealistic to believe they would be on same list.
        Your spin on this isn't necessarily wrong but that doesn't change the bottom line truth to what has been said. For those who aren't familiar with a Middlebury and could not care less certainly they may be all the better for that and far less burdened. That said, those who have a Midd as a goal aren't spending 2 seconds thinking about fellow VT school St. Michael's. And unless a kid truly won't be able to attend college at all otherwise, among all of the silliness talked about on this site playing soccer in the netherworld of D2 land has got to be about the most ridiculous. Can you name 2 out of the last 5 D2 national champs? Or 1?

Comment

Your spin on this isn't necessarily wrong but that doesn't change the bottom line truth to what has been said. For those who aren't familiar with a Middlebury and could not care less certainly they may be all the better for that and far less burdened. That said, those who have a Midd as a goal aren't spending 2 seconds thinking about fellow VT school St. Michael's. And unless a kid truly won't be able to attend college at all otherwise, among all of the silliness talked about on this site playing soccer in the netherworld of D2 land has got to be about the most ridiculous. Can you name 2 out of the last 5 D2 national champs? Or 1?
          Agreed. The “netherworld” of D2 is an accurate albeit ridiculous monicker. D2 is so often thought of “those not good enough to play D1” and nothing further. And D3? Forget it. That’s like town rec. So NESCAC offers a lot of dignity and pride even if they aren’t the best soccer players. Shame on all of us. A D2 athlete receiving a scholarship and playing at schools like St. Mikes or Stonehill or Assumption should be applauded and not tossed into a black hole and forgotten.

Comment

I agree with everything others have said here. I know several who are going to NESCAC schools and they recruit much later and of course offer no money. They were more along the timeline of early admissions so early senior year.
            This is true. NESCAC coaches want to see you at their camps summer before senior year. Ideally you want to be on their radar screen (ID Clinics, Showcases, Coach recommendation) prior to this so they will make sure to pay attention. After the camp if you don't get any positive feedback then most likely you are not on their top 10 list. Next comes a formal pre-read from admissions. This is either a thumbs up, thumbs down, or have requirements (higher test scores, better grades 1st Q senior year). Next up comes overnight visit invitation if you are still on their list. After that hopefully an offer to apply ED with "support" which is essentially a commitment. Often strong players with high academics will be considering more than one NESCAC school, and the coaches realize this so they need to have more recruits than support spots. If you have one top school be sure to let the coach know, they like to hear that prior to making an offer. Lots of other things factor in such such as the players position and the team needs.

Even if it doesn't work out don't give up. Many schools (including NESCAC) make offers just prior to RD and even after in some cases.

As far as financial considerations go most NESCAC schools are very generous and you may end up paying less than you would with some scholarship money from a D2 school. Most colleges have a quick financial calculator that will give you you a rough idea on what a financial aid offer could potentially be.

Comment

This is true. NESCAC coaches want to see you at their camps summer before senior year. Ideally you want to be on their radar screen (ID Clinics, Showcases, Coach recommendation) prior to this so they will make sure to pay attention. After the camp if you don't get any positive feedback then most likely you are not on their top 10 list. Next comes a formal pre-read from admissions. This is either a thumbs up, thumbs down, or have requirements (higher test scores, better grades 1st Q senior year). Next up comes overnight visit invitation if you are still on their list. After that hopefully an offer to apply ED with "support" which is essentially a commitment. Often strong players with high academics will be considering more than one NESCAC school, and the coaches realize this so they need to have more recruits than support spots. If you have one top school be sure to let the coach know, they like to hear that prior to making an offer. Lots of other things factor in such such as the players position and the team needs.

Even if it doesn't work out don't give up. Many schools (including NESCAC) make offers just prior to RD and even after in some cases.

As far as financial considerations go most NESCAC schools are very generous and you may end up paying less than you would with some scholarship money from a D2 school. Most colleges have a quick financial calculator that will give you you a rough idea on what a financial aid offer could potentially be.
              Thank you. This is very helpful. The issue I am questioning is if my daughter isn't recruited by one of the nescacs she wants, we are now into senior year with her having no place to play. She is an ECNL level player so I believe it is likely one of the nescacs will want her. Waiting until senior year to find out feels late though. Is there a way to get an idea late sophomore year if a nescac coach has any interest?

Comment

Thank you. This is very helpful. The issue I am questioning is if my daughter isn't recruited by one of the nescacs she wants, we are now into senior year with her having no place to play. She is an ECNL level player so I believe it is likely one of the nescacs will want her. Waiting until senior year to find out feels late though. Is there a way to get an idea late sophomore year if a nescac coach has any interest?
                Serious question: is she ECNL or ECNL level?
                If ECNL then contact and expressed interest thru club will begin sophomore year, and continue so that she can make a pretty informed decision by senior fall

Comment

Serious question: is she ECNL or ECNL level?
                  If ECNL then contact and expressed interest thru club will begin sophomore year, and continue so that she can make a pretty informed decision by senior fall
                  ECNL, and might ignore interest of others if the nescacs she wants are interested. But a d2 is a possible second choice. That's why I questioned timelines.

Comment

ECNL, and might ignore interest of others if the nescacs she wants are interested. But a d2 is a possible second choice. That's why I questioned timelines.
                    Club coach should be able to gauge level of athletic interest, and from there you can qualify academics. D2s may come strong early knowing that a solid money offer is hard to turn down and that school may offer a great experience.

Comment

Club coach should be able to gauge level of athletic interest, and from there you can qualify academics. D2s may come strong early knowing that a solid money offer is hard to turn down and that school may offer a great experience.
                      Thanks for the answer.

Comment

I'd add that most if not all NESCAC schools are need-blind, meaning if the family demonstrates the financial need, the school will meet it. Also, every college has a cost calculator to estimate the expected family contribution. That might mean more loans compared to a D2 school when all the dust settles, assuming the D2 school offers an athletic scholarship on top of merit aid. FWIW, NESCAC v D2 is kind of apples v oranges. They're both fruit, both taste good but if you want an apple, you're not likely to think of an orange as a second choice. Maybe a pear.

Comment

I'd add that most if not all NESCAC schools are need-blind, meaning if the family demonstrates the financial need, the school will meet it. Also, every college has a cost calculator to estimate the expected family contribution. That might mean more loans compared to a D2 school when all the dust settles, assuming the D2 school offers an athletic scholarship on top of merit aid. FWIW, NESCAC v D2 is kind of apples v oranges. They're both fruit, both taste good but if you want an apple, you're not likely to think of an orange as a second choice. Maybe a pear.
                          Good analogy, but if you can't get the apple and the orange is juicy enough...

Comment

Please understand the difference between what it means to be be recruited by a D2 vs as convinced to apply for ED at a NESCAC. Definitely not the same.

Comment

Back to the topic - NESCAC ID camps and clinics tend to be full of ECNL-type players who are sophomores and juniors. Feeling out their options - strong academics, wondering if they want D1/2/3, have some interest from D1s, etc.

Coaches have interest in special sophomores but know very strong ones will likely not play D3. Juniors are more likely to be more serious about D3, have been really communicating with coach and vice versa, coach watching them at tournaments.

Summer before senior year, sometimes spring, commitments to support a player’s application is more serious particularly at the top NESCACs. The top players know before Aug what the plan is and still need to wait for official acceptance after applying ED.

There have been some occasions where admissions doesn’t happen after “promise”, I have heard this at Conn or Trinity. Tap your guidance counselor to verify if you’re feeling uncertain.

Fin aid is as pointed out. These schooos have solid financial support if you need it.

Comment

Agreed. The “netherworld” of D2 is an accurate albeit ridiculous monicker. D2 is so often thought of “those not good enough to play D1” and nothing further. And D3? Forget it. That’s like town rec. So NESCAC offers a lot of dignity and pride even if they aren’t the best soccer players. Shame on all of us. A D2 athlete receiving a scholarship and playing at schools like St. Mikes or Stonehill or Assumption should be applauded and not tossed into a black hole and forgotten.
                                Applaud into that dark, bottomless vacuum all you want.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X