Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks. Mine wants to go out of state so hoping for an at least good academic D3. Going to be tough to foot the bill at many schools though with just tuition and fees in the 50-70k range. Room and board, etc on top of that and we’re prob looking at 30-40k/year even if she gets 50% merit/athletic. Might need to go to a lower and cheaper school, more like 20-25k/year out of pocket after merit/athletic aid.
    Aiming a notch or two lower is a good way to get more merit $, but just make sure not to go too low that quality is sacrificed substantially. Same can be said with the soccer. Targeting is key. Also consider if grad school is in the cards. It's almost required for many careers these day. If it is then try to keep their loans to a bare minimum or better, none.

Comment

What is the average scholarship?
      Do you mean college scholarship earned (vs. cost to play) or scholarship to play in ECNL from club, if eligible?

Comment

What is the average scholarship?
        Are you asking about the average scholarship for ECNL? I believe, or I guess I hope, there is some need based money, but from what I can tell, families pay. Assume 0%

Are you asking about the average college scholarship that ECNL players get?
        All contributing ECNL players have the opportunity to play somewhere for a full scholarship. Assume 100%.

You, as a parent, can pay for academic upgrades, and she, as a player, can earn athletic upgrades.

Comment

Are you asking about the average scholarship for ECNL? I believe, or I guess I hope, there is some need based money, but from what I can tell, families pay. Assume 0%

All contributing ECNL players have the opportunity to play somewhere for a full scholarship. Assume 100%.

You, as a parent, can pay for academic upgrades, and she, as a player, can earn athletic upgrades.
          Or she as the player can earn both. Keep up the grades too.

Comment

We are a lower middle class family and are having a hard time paying for ECNL. We have had to make a lot of sacrifices, skipped vacations, no eating out etc we are considering DA for next year because I have heard there are scholarships available. Anyone know more about this? My daughter doesn’t care about playing high school soccer.

Comment

Assuming 100% full college scholarship is not good advice, even for your average ECNL player. Maybe a few of the top scorers or best GKs on each team might get a full scholarship, but the rest won’t. Safer to assume you’ll be paying something.

Comment

Assuming 100% full college scholarship is not good advice, even for your average ECNL player. Maybe a few of the top scorers or best GKs on each team might get a full scholarship, but the rest won’t. Safer to assume you’ll be paying something.
                It's not good advice at all! Full rides are not at all common and are reserved for a super stud or starting GK. If 100% is your goal and you're neither of those, you very well may have to target schools/programs well below your soccer and academic ability in order to get enough athletic, merit and financial aid to arrive at 100%. It can be done but it's rare that you'd get everything you want. We're not churning out many NT players who can write their tickets.

Comment

We are a lower middle class family and are having a hard time paying for ECNL. We have had to make a lot of sacrifices, skipped vacations, no eating out etc we are considering DA for next year because I have heard there are scholarships available. Anyone know more about this? My daughter doesn’t care about playing high school soccer.
                  I answered on another thread (assuming it was you). DA scholarships from USSF are few and far between and you have to be practically poverty level to qualify. It doesn't sound like you are there. A club might give your player one if she's a true stud and they really want her. Then there's travel which will be similar to your ECNL travel costs. You can save some by sending your kid with other families, but it's still going to run a few grand all in. Have you asked your ECNL club for assistance? Either way be prepared to lay bare all your financial information.

Obviously this is of great concern to your family. What are your daughter's goals? Are they realistic? Is she a consistent starter on a top team? There's also going to be expenses for college recruiting. For the high school years you're easily looking at $25,000 all in if not more. That's a full year at UMASS. Are you hoping she will earn 100% full ride for college? Because that isn't realistic either. If she got 60% can you swing the remaining 40% or take out loans? Just giving you a heads up that meaningful financial aid is also difficult to qualify for. Make sure she has top grades to hopefully get decent merit aid.

Comment

Ask the club you are with. If you get nothing, stop chasing so hard and find a more affordable club .... if she isn't good enough for them to make a sacrifice for, you might want to re-evaluate what you think she is in for in the future. If you are truly lower middle class, then she should qualify for a good FA package in college so you do not have to ride the scholarship angle so hard and spend money that you do not have.

Comment

It's not good advice at all! Full rides are not at all common and are reserved for a super stud or starting GK. If 100% is your goal and you're neither of those, you very well may have to target schools/programs well below your soccer and academic ability in order to get enough athletic, merit and financial aid to arrive at 100%. It can be done but it's rare that you'd get everything you want. We're not churning out many NT players who can write their tickets.
                      Yup, thats my point: target schools/programs well below your soccer and academic ability

If family is willing to do that then her combo of grades and soccer can get a full ride (to a school she doesn’t want to go to). From there she can earn and you can pay for upgrades

Comment

We play on the 05 east team and this is our first year at an ECNL club. Up to now we have spent 8400 but aren’t done yet. We predict it will be more the 9600/9700 figure come July. It’s been a good experience but has hit us hard in the pocket and if we aren’t in Lancaster, we are at least 3 hours way (driving or flying). When it’s all said and done at the end of the year we will evaluate if the miles we put on our car, the money spent on flights and hotels is really worth it. The biggest thing to take into account is the time, it’s whole weekends that are taken out to just go and play 2 70 minute games. Some games are not even close.

If earn a good amount of money, only have 1 child and are willing to give up whole weekends, including taking a lot of Fridays off. Then go for it.

Comment

We play on the 05 east team and this is our first year at an ECNL club. Up to now we have spent 8400 but aren’t done yet. We predict it will be more the 9600/9700 figure come July. It’s been a good experience but has hit us hard in the pocket and if we aren’t in Lancaster, we are at least 3 hours way (driving or flying). When it’s all said and done at the end of the year we will evaluate if the miles we put on our car, the money spent on flights and hotels is really worth it. The biggest thing to take into account is the time, it’s whole weekends that are taken out to just go and play 2 70 minute games. Some games are not even close.

If earn a good amount of money, only have 1 child and are willing to give up whole weekends, including taking a lot of Fridays off. Then go for it.
                          Just a question is this amount for the whole year fall/spring? Keep in mind the older players don't start till after the fall season so there would be less games in the fall. Again it's to expensive but just like other leagues that travel your giving most of your weekends. GDA you would travel some where for just one game a weekend and you would still have pay for travel costs. At least you get two games in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X