Confused on nescac recruiting timeline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It costs roughly $8-10k a year to be on an ECNL/DA team these days. Most of those teams start gearing up in the 7th grade (if not earlier) so that will ru close to a years worth of a college these days. If you are not trying to parlay soccer into a scholarship why not just save the money and apply it towards that? It’s not like the NESCAC’s are impressed with just ECNL or DA on an application these days. Everyone knows it’s all watered down.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It costs roughly $8-10k a year to be on an ECNL/DA team these days. Most of those teams start gearing up in the 7th grade (if not earlier) so that will ru close to a years worth of a college these days. If you are not trying to parlay soccer into a scholarship why not just save the money and apply it towards that? It’s not like the NESCAC’s are impressed with just ECNL or DA on an application these days. Everyone knows it’s all watered down.
      Logic should also say that because its watered down, and because its full of parents willing to pay for brand association, the ECNL and DA are now the perfect shopping areas for NESCAC. Why go anywhere else?

Comment

Logic should also say that because its watered down, and because its full of parents willing to pay for brand association, the ECNL and DA are now the perfect shopping areas for NESCAC. Why go anywhere else?
        That is exactly what's happening. Top D3 teams are full of kids who played DAP/ECNL....the norm now rather the exception.

Comment

Why not just...? Because families get to do what they want, and because a lot of kids really want to play in college even if there is no scholarship.

I know some working class families who know their kid isn't getting a big D1 scholarship and still went for ECNL because the goal is getting a roster spot at Wheaton. And I know plenty of kids who bounce around various low to mid level D3s just looking for the best soccer situation. That's not how I would roll, but the phenomenon of making soccer a big deal is not reserved for just the ISL and Metrowest crowds, and it certainly isn't limited to any ideas about athletic scholarships.

But your continued obsession about it sure is fascinating.

Comment

Well then you must give credit to DA for making first year 8th grade and not 6th grade. That is an extra $10k + in parents pockets.

Comment

Well then you must give credit to DA for making first year 8th grade and not 6th grade. That is an extra $10k + in parents pockets.
              That’s 2 years. 20 grand.

Comment

Why not just...? Because families get to do what they want, and because a lot of kids really want to play in college even if there is no scholarship.

I know some working class families who know their kid isn't getting a big D1 scholarship and still went for ECNL because the goal is getting a roster spot at Wheaton. And I know plenty of kids who bounce around various low to mid level D3s just looking for the best soccer situation. That's not how I would roll, but the phenomenon of making soccer a big deal is not reserved for just the ISL and Metrowest crowds, and it certainly isn't limited to any ideas about athletic scholarships.

But your continued obsession about it sure is fascinating.
                Definitely something wrong if Wheaton was the goal.

Comment

That’s 2 years. 20 grand.
                  The parents still got to pay something for soccer those years.

Comment

The parents still got to pay something for soccer those years.
                    Yes and if its ECNL it will be similar and if its something like NPL it will still run several grand

Comment

Definitely something wrong if Wheaton was the goal.
                      Depends on the family. Proves how out of touch you are. A lot of families don't go through the whole process dreaming of Stanford or Florida State. Some come from towns that rarely have a successful player in even D3 and/or families where the parents didn't go to college so for them a Wheaton is a big deal. Sadly, for you, those families may blissfully enjoy their college experiences and never know the difference between Wheaton and UNC.

Comment

Depends on the family. Proves how out of touch you are. A lot of families don't go through the whole process dreaming of Stanford or Florida State. Some come from towns that rarely have a successful player in even D3 and/or families where the parents didn't go to college so for them a Wheaton is a big deal. Sadly, for you, those families may blissfully enjoy their college experiences and never know the difference between Wheaton and UNC.
                        Anyone who is spending the money to be associated with a DA/ECNL team while desiring a Wheaton destination for their kid is absolutely out of the mind. That can be achieved with a decent regionally focused NEP team and a reasonably successful high school career.

Comment

Anyone who is spending the money to be associated with a DA/ECNL team while desiring a Wheaton destination for their kid is absolutely out of the mind. That can be achieved with a decent regionally focused NEP team and a reasonably successful high school career.
                          I agree, unless the player wants to play in those leagues and the parents are fine with it as well (development, friends, etc.) and don't mind the cost. ALL of this is family specific. Not one size or league fits all.

Comment

I agree, unless the player wants to play in those leagues and the parents are fine with it as well (development, friends, etc.) and don't mind the cost. ALL of this is family specific. Not one size or league fits all.
                            It is, but we know that certain TS posters think it's the definition of insanity. I could same the same about hockey parents flying their kids all over the country but it's their business, not mine. I'll worry about my kid/my family, everyone else can do their thing.

Comment

Where is the line for you, buddy?

Comment

Where is the line for you, buddy?
                                My line is at Quinnipiac and Merrimack type schools. They are offering $, and recognize that athletic success accrues to academic reputation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X