Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That’s exactly it. It’s not that we aren’t happy, we are. The problem is that other players have received offers, and mine has not. We don’t want to be in the situation come June with no team to play on. The coach hasn’t been forthcoming with us when asked. Sort of beating around the bush if you will.
    He stalling it so top players can get back to him> maybe your kid is down the line. If there is some rejections from top players, she will be offered. If not she is really the bottom.

Comment

He stalling it so top players can get back to him> maybe your kid is down the line. If there is some rejections from top players, she will be offered. If not she is really the bottom.
      Good to know. So hopefully if it gets back to the coach, he can’t really hold it against her for looking elsewhere.

Comment

What these coaches don’t realize is that this is a business and we are the paying customers. You need us, we don’t need you. There are a lot of good options for players now so coaches should be a little more careful.

Comment

What these coaches don’t realize is that this is a business and we are the paying customers. You need us, we don’t need you. There are a lot of good options for players now so coaches should be a little more careful.
          Logically sure, but

1) coach egos can reach the size of the grand canyon
          2) the guys running these clubs aren't exactly Harvard MBAs
          3) certain teams/clubs/leagues are desired more than others and clubs know it

Yes from a customer service standpoint coaches should tell families by say April 1 if your kid is in, out or on the bubble. But then they risk losing too many players if not enough other players show up for tryouts. They also risk families bailing out before the season is even done. I learned a long time ago to not expect much feedback or even necessarily trust it, and thus keep some options ruminating in the back of my head every spring. You just never know. I've seen too many families get screwed

Comment

That sounds great and all but there are plenty of clubs that, if they get wind that you are looking elsewhere or not coming back next year, your kid won't see the field again.
            Actually, the opposite happened. They played my kid more hoping to we'd stay.

Comment

Tryout

Logically sure, but

2) the guys running these clubs aren't exactly Harvard MBAs
              3) certain teams/clubs/leagues are desired more than others and clubs know it

Yes from a customer service standpoint coaches should tell families by say April 1 if your kid is in, out or on the bubble. But then they risk losing too many players if not enough other players show up for tryouts. They also risk families bailing out before the season is even done. I learned a long time ago to not expect much feedback or even necessarily trust it, and thus keep some options ruminating in the back of my head every spring. You just never know. I've seen too many families get screwed
              Why would a club commit to a player by April 1st? Are you saying the the whole spring season means nothing? What if a player has a big improvement or drop off? making decisions before going through a season is just a way to make sure you have full rosters and collect money. Just talked to a coach about going to tryouts and they said they have 20 already committed for ECNL based on their ID clinic. First of 20 on a roster when 18 can dress is criminal. 2nd if you don't go to an ID clinic in April you can't make a top team, they are limiting themselves to what they have.

Parents thinking they know more than coaches because they watched their child for a few years is much more egotistical than a coach who clearly knows the game trying to implement what they are trained to do.

Comment

In our experience a lot of the decisions are made fall season. There are bubble kids for sure but coaches are watching fall season and have a strong sense of their core team as they enter the spring season. Players who make big developmental jumps in the spring get left behind (we had one). She had to wait until the next year.

Comment

Tryout

In our experience a lot of the decisions are made fall season. There are bubble kids for sure but coaches are watching fall season and have a strong sense of their core team as they enter the spring season. Players who make big developmental jumps in the spring get left behind (we had one). She had to wait until the next year.
                  I have seen the same and it is frustrating. Good players are forced to wait a year while players who dropped off and pay tuition are kept on. Then they don't get rostered half the time, bitch and complain, then end up rostered taking someone's spot.

Comment

It is always easier to move up a level then to return after getting demoted. Not really common to see kids who got moved down and up back on the top team you most often see the clubs go External To fill the vacant spots

Comment

It is always easier to move up a level then to return after getting demoted. Not really common to see kids who got moved down and up back on the top team you most often see the clubs go External To fill the vacant spots
                      This is correct. If club tells you they're moving your kid down "to watch their development" this is really just a nice way of saying they want your money and have no intention of ever bringing you back to the top team.

Comment

I have seen the same and it is frustrating. Good players are forced to wait a year while players who dropped off and pay tuition are kept on. Then they don't get rostered half the time, bitch and complain, then end up rostered taking someone's spot.
                        True true. And I e found it very strange over the years we’ve been at the same club how some families get away with making demands on coaches and the club and get what they want while other families don’t. It’s confusing and frustrating to say the least. And before anyone says it’s because the best players get away with whatever that isn’t our experience. I’m talking about bubble players making demands and getting what they want while impact players play by the rules and get screwed. Again defining bubble and impact by playing time and straight from the coaches mouth.

Comment

True true. And I e found it very strange over the years we’ve been at the same club how some families get away with making demands on coaches and the club and get what they want while other families don’t. It’s confusing and frustrating to say the least. And before anyone says it’s because the best players get away with whatever that isn’t our experience. I’m talking about bubble players making demands and getting what they want while impact players play by the rules and get screwed. Again defining bubble and impact by playing time and straight from the coaches mouth.
                          What do your club tryouts look like?

Comment

No offer from current club. Should we start attending other clinics/trainings/tryouts? Afraid it will get back to the coach/club.
                            Always pass the salt and pepper even if your #7 asks just for the salt.

Make sure your # 4 has the napkin on her lap

Comment

Always pass the salt and pepper even if your #7 asks just for the salt.

Make sure your # 4 has the napkin on her lap
                              What does that even mean related to the question

Comment

This is correct. If club tells you they're moving your kid down "to watch their development" this is really just a nice way of saying they want your money and have no intention of ever bringing you back to the top team.
                                That is true although sometimes players do improve on B teams by getting more PT + a kick in the pants to motivate them. However it also means (for now) your player isn't A team material and they probably will have much better success on the B team. Parents with bruised egos then usually take their kids elsewhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X