Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournament Costs

How much do parents here pay for a weekend tournament? If your tournament fees are wrapped up with other fees, what would you expect to pay for an additional tournament (participation fees only, not including travel and accommodation)?

Tournaments can run between 600 to 1200 per team, all depends on the quality of the event. You can usually find the info on the registration pages of the events. Split that across the team + the coach travel which you have to pay for as well. Most clubs include at least 2-3 events into the fees for the year.

Comment

Do teams have to pay for coaches travel expenses besides airfare.?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Do teams have to pay for coaches travel expenses besides airfare.?
        Yes. Car, food, hotel. It's a business expense. Do you think poorly paid coaches should pay out of their own pockets?

Comment

Yes I do.They should be paid for by the club and written off as a business expense.

Comment

Yes I do.They should be paid for by the club and written off as a business expense.
            I'm not sure if you understand what 'writing it off as a business expense' means - if it's not balanced by 'income' then the business loses money.

So while you might not write a check for 'coach travel expenses to tournament X', a portion of your annual fees certainly does go towards those expenses.

Comment

I'm not sure if you understand what 'writing it off as a business expense' means - if it's not balanced by 'income' then the business loses money.

So while you might not write a check for 'coach travel expenses to tournament X', a portion of your annual fees certainly does go towards those expenses.
              This

I've seen it done where the tourney fees were rolled into your tuition (i.e. you get x amount of practices, entry in ABC league, 2 tourneys, etc.). This is more common. One year we added an extra tournament and we all ponied up some additional $$$.

But, either way, you are paying for the coach.

Comment

One year we added an extra tournament and we all ponied up some additional $$$.
                How much did you pay for the extra tournament?

Comment

$150 I think? Covered the tourney fee and travel for the coach

Comment

Depends where, but split all travel costs, hotel costs, per diems for meals, car rentals or flights ..... anywhere from just over $100 to over $600 for one of ours.

Comment

Depends where, but split all travel costs, hotel costs, per diems for meals, car rentals or flights ..... anywhere from just over $100 to over $600 for one of ours.
                      Travel costs are always covered by the parents

Comment

Yes. Car, food, hotel. It's a business expense. Do you think poorly paid coaches should pay out of their own pockets?

Yes. Or get a better job.

Comment

Yes. Or get a better job.

Tournaments are not cheap to run. They are expensive for a coach and family.

Comment

We have been paying over $550 in tournament fees for each of the last three years. I don’t mind paying a little extra to cover coaches flight, accommodation, etc, but when we heard that our current club automatically charges $50 per kid in each team before adding anything else to the fee (like tournament, coaches accommodation, coaches flight fees), it was a decision ‘made easy’ when deciding to switch for 2019-20. Enough's enough

Comment

We have been paying over $550 in tournament fees for each of the last three years. I don’t mind paying a little extra to cover coaches flight, accommodation, etc, but when we heard that our current club automatically charges $50 per kid in each team before adding anything else to the fee (like tournament, coaches accommodation, coaches flight fees), it was a decision ‘made easy’ when deciding to switch for 2019-20. Enough's enough
                              As long as you feel better about it, you win.
                              Transparency by the club isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you, like most, are happier not knowing how the sausage is made.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X