Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you are committed to leaving then who cares. But, if you are committed to staying and the coach is committed to you as a player, then an offer should be made.

If you are committed to staying but the coach has you as a bubble, then that should be communicated so that you are free to attend tryouts with both clubs.

Again, all of this can be solved with a coach communicating their intentions before "tryouts".
    Its simple, the team cannot afford to lose any more players. The coach's intention is to keep all the players because he knows no new ones will come in.

As far as dates try outs start as early as this coming week. Memorial day would be the last tournament. by then you can be committed to a new team if you choose to lose.

Comment

Its simple, the team cannot afford to lose any more players. The coach's intention is to keep all the players because he knows no new ones will come in.

As far as dates try outs start as early as this coming week. Memorial day would be the last tournament. by then you can be committed to a new team if you choose to lose.
      Then, like I said, make the offers now so you know where you stand as coach. But if you "need" the players the last thing you can do is make idle threats. You can't make anyone stay, but you can convince them to stay. But coaches have a hard time swallowing their pride sometimes.

Comment

If you are committed to leaving then who cares. But, if you are committed to staying and the coach is committed to you as a player, then an offer should be made.

If you are committed to staying but the coach has you as a bubble, then that should be communicated so that you are free to attend tryouts with both clubs.

Again, all of this can be solved with a coach communicating their intentions before "tryouts".
        This is your plan, just go where you want to be for next year and when you go, cut your ties. You cant play the two club game unless you get agreement with two clubs. Communicate with both of them directly and make your decision based on what you hear. I also find players that tryout at other clubs are usually planning on leaving and dont want to play anymore with the current team. You sound like you want to go on a date with a new girl before you officially leave your current girl, that usually doesnt go so well. Good luck.

Comment

You guys are telling this person to quit before the season ended. What lesson are you showing the player. The season ends when the season ends. If the player were to quit they would be just as wrong as the coach.

The issue is created with part of the 2016-2017 still in full swing and other clubs having try outs and offering spots.

Comment

This is your plan, just go where you want to be for next year and when you go, cut your ties. You cant play the two club game unless you get agreement with two clubs. Communicate with both of them directly and make your decision based on what you hear. I also find players that tryout at other clubs are usually planning on leaving and dont want to play anymore with the current team. You sound like you want to go on a date with a new girl before you officially leave your current girl, that usually doesnt go so well. Good luck.
            You didn't read it at all.

There are lots of factors that might cause parents to take their kids to another clubs tryouts, among them is insecurity of their place on their current team. If coaches communicate with the parents and player where they stand then the anxiety to tryout elsewhere can be relieved.

But there are kids you want to keep, kids you might keep and possibly kids you do not wish to keep. Why is it so hard for a coach to let them all know where they stand?

And you are right, if parents are still trying out at another club they likely have one foot out the door anyway, so why bother with the threat? Just simply say the offer stands through our tryout process.

Comment

I am assuming the event is PDA, depending on the age group that is not an event you would want to just skip over.

Comment

You guys are telling this person to quit before the season ended. What lesson are you showing the player. The season ends when the season ends. If the player were to quit they would be just as wrong as the coach.

The issue is created with part of the 2016-2017 still in full swing and other clubs having try outs and offering spots.
                I agree. IMHO the correct reaction should be for the player to advise the coach for the team being tried out for of his or her loyalty and of his or her inability to appear for any tryouts until the last game for his or her current team has been concluded. I'll bet that the new team will have at least one tryout session following the conclusion of State Cup.

Comment

There is another factor this year that is different from any other and that is the age split. That brings a whole new dynamic, correct?

Comment

There is another factor this year that is different from any other and that is the age split. That brings a whole new dynamic, correct?
                    The switch to birth years has nothing to do with a player remaining committed until a team's last game has concluded.

Comment

The switch to birth years has nothing to do with a player remaining committed until a team's last game has concluded.
                      I absolutely agree with staying committed to the team you are on until the season is over, but the age change does have something to do with where you would want to try out, whether its coaching changes or team changes. It plays a slight role.

Comment

I am sure I will get all kinds of crazy answers but here goes.

Can a coach threaten a player/team to be removed from an important upcoming event if the player attends the tryouts for another club?

The event assignments have already been sent out and all hotel and flight arrangements have been made for the player.

Basically you are done for the rest of the year if you do not come to practice on the days the other club has tryouts.

signed
                        walking on egg shells
                        I think your question is a big vague. If your child wants to guest play in a tournament and it does not conflict with your team event, then the coach should not have a problem with you guest playing on a showcase event if he cares about his players. His job is to try and give opportunities for his players to be seen. But if you are talking about trying out with another team and that day conflicts with your team event, then don't blame the coach for his reaction as he knows that you are probably on your way out and he needs to focus on players that are staying and give that playing time to those players that he feels are committed to the end of the season.

Unless you signed a document that does not allow his players to guest play with other club or teams, then you need to figure out what you signed with the club or team. If the club does not allow or encourage guest playing for other teams, then you should have been aware of that and not look to guest playing. It sounds like there is more to what your question states but you know the situation better than others so make the best decision that suits your child and your family.

Comment

As I understand the issue -- the player is committed to play in everything that the team is doing. But, the player is also going to tryout for a new team. Good for them. Tryout if you want. Play for the current team through the end of the season. Nothing wrong with that.

The coach saying -- if you tryout for someone else then I will not play you -- that's the coach quitting on the player. Tryouts are whenever they are scheduled. Be up front with the coach as to the reason for looking to tryout. Is the potential new team a higher level? The coach should be pleased that one of his players has developed to play at a higher level. Is the new team likely to be a better fit? Playing time, position etc. . . ? You can let the coach know. Have, you know, an adult conversation.

Comment

I am sure I will get all kinds of crazy answers but here goes.

Can a coach threaten a player/team to be removed from an important upcoming event if the player attends the tryouts for another club?

The event assignments have already been sent out and all hotel and flight arrangements have been made for the player.

Basically you are done for the rest of the year if you do not come to practice on the days the other club has tryouts.

signed
                            walking on egg shells
                            Hey Egg Head,

I would tell you and your Benedict Arnold kid to HIT THE ROAD!!!!!

Comment

As I understand the issue -- the player is committed to play in everything that the team is doing. But, the player is also going to tryout for a new team. Good for them. Tryout if you want. Play for the current team through the end of the season. Nothing wrong with that.

The coach saying -- if you tryout for someone else then I will not play you -- that's the coach quitting on the player. Tryouts are whenever they are scheduled. Be up front with the coach as to the reason for looking to tryout. Is the potential new team a higher level? The coach should be pleased that one of his players has developed to play at a higher level. Is the new team likely to be a better fit? Playing time, position etc. . . ? You can let the coach know. Have, you know, an adult conversation.
                              As I understand the issue, the player is not committed to coming to all of the team's practice sessions. If that is correct, then as he or she should, the coach is saying that the player needs to be at the practice sessions in order to play in the games.

Comment

Good advice! The player is not quitting on the coach or the team for the remainder of the season and should travel to the tournament. The coach representing the club should ethically not tell the player that he/she can not attend the tournament. The play time is up to the coach, and there is a chance he/she will not play the player as much. There is also a chance the player who tries out at another club will not make the team at the other club. Both the player and coach should be prepared for the scenarios.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X