Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach over stepping boundries

I am sure I will get all kinds of crazy answers but here goes.

Can a coach threaten a player/team to be removed from an important upcoming event if the player attends the tryouts for another club?

The event assignments have already been sent out and all hotel and flight arrangements have been made for the player.

Basically you are done for the rest of the year if you do not come to practice on the days the other club has tryouts.

signed
    walking on egg shells

Base

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Can a coach threaten a player/team to be removed from an important upcoming event if the player attends the tryouts for another club?

The event assignments have already been sent out and all hotel and flight arrangements have been made for the player.

Basically you are done for the rest of the year if you do not come to practice on the days the other club has tryouts.

signed
    walking on egg shells

All of your Players Are Belong to Us!

Comment

signed
      walking on egg shells
      Short answer: If your kid is good enough, you can do whatever you want. If a coach or club told me that, I would never be at that team/club

Comment

signed
        walking on egg shells
        Your kid is trying out for a club that far away?

Comment

The event is far away and paid for. Our kid is part of the team until what date?

Comment

The event is far away and paid for. Our kid is part of the team until what date?
            Your kid is part of a team until the season is officially over unless you signed some kind of agreement saying tryouts are not allowed until a specific date (a few clubs have that but most do not). Clubs are so hypocritical when it comes to tryouts - they need new players coming in who must lie to their clubs, but it is never ok for their own players to tryout anywhere else.

Lesson learned on your part to never tell anyone at a club what you are doing. Go to the DOC with the issue. Nothing you can do or say will appease this guy. If they act similarly then you know you won't be at that club next year (by your choice but they may make it for you). If you can't recoup any $ go anyway and hold your head up high.

Comment

Your kid is part of a team until the season is officially over unless you signed some kind of agreement saying tryouts are not allowed until a specific date (a few clubs have that but most do not). Clubs are so hypocritical when it comes to tryouts - they need new players coming in who must lie to their clubs, but it is never ok for their own players to tryout anywhere else.

Lesson learned on your part to never tell anyone at a club what you are doing. Go to the DOC with the issue. Nothing you can do or say will appease this guy. If they act similarly then you know you won't be at that club next year (by your choice but they may make it for you). If you can't recoup any $ go anyway and hold your head up high.
              At this point we have no intentions of being on a team like this but we still have events to attend and knowing a player will be leaving leaves a lot of room for retaliation from the Coach.

Sure we may attend the even but playing time may not be there for her because of this.

How do you argue this? We are not talking about a little tournament we are talking about a large and college recruitment event.

Comment

At this point we have no intentions of being on a team like this but we still have events to attend and knowing a player will be leaving leaves a lot of room for retaliation from the Coach.

Sure we may attend the even but playing time may not be there for her because of this.

How do you argue this? We are not talking about a little tournament we are talking about a large and college recruitment event.
                You go to the event and if the coach needs the player then will play. The coach's behavior is seen by all, and players and families look for fairness in a coach. Players are free to tryout wherever, but if they accept with another club then it will change the relationship.

Comment

If I was a coach and knew one of my players was actively looking for somewhere else to play I wouldn't waste one minute more of my time on that player. If you left your wife would you expect her to cook dinner for you while you were chasing skirts. Probably would.

Comment

Not a good situation to be in as a player or parent.

I knew early tryouts would have some kind of issue.

Comment

If I was a coach and knew one of my players was actively looking for somewhere else to play I wouldn't waste one minute more of my time on that player. If you left your wife would you expect her to cook dinner for you while you were chasing skirts. Probably would.
                      But that it not fair to a player that paid for a full season. You had all year to prove to the player that there is no reason to go anywhere else and they failed.

You can't punish a child for this.

Comment

Back in the good old days the coach wouldn't have to be involved in a situation like this . Instead a couple of the senior players would just have taken her aside explained that she had a duty to turn out for the tournament and if she didn't well better expect a few hard tackles at the next inter team scrimmage .

Comment

Not a good situation to be in as a player or parent.

I knew early tryouts would have some kind of issue.
                          Tough situation, but if you are trying out at another club it means you are not happy at your current club, so either go tryout and leave your current team and play in the tournaments next year with your new club, OR dont tryout at the new club and finish out the year. It is just one tournament.

Your unhappines must be tied to something else because you are leaving a team that you are potentially getting exposure with, but you want to tryout and leave that team early in a sense but still get exposure with the old team you are not happy with? I would tell the current team your plans or your issues and either leave or not leave based on the response. They may/may not be be able to solve your issue. Also, you do run the risk of not getting played, as alot of end of the year tournaments are tilted towards tryouts and the next year teams.

Most players who are going to tryout somewhere else dont continue playing, they just drift away and everyone knows the deal.

Comment

Tough situation, but if you are trying out at another club it means you are not happy at your current club, so either go tryout and leave your current team and play in the tournaments next year with your new club, OR dont tryout at the new club and finish out the year. It is just one tournament.

Your unhappines must be tied to something else because you are leaving a team that you are potentially getting exposure with, but you want to tryout and leave that team early in a sense but still get exposure with the old team you are not happy with? I would tell the current team your plans or your issues and either leave or not leave based on the response. They may/may not be be able to solve your issue. Also, you do run the risk of not getting played, as alot of end of the year tournaments are tilted towards tryouts and the next year teams.

Most players who are going to tryout somewhere else dont continue playing, they just drift away and everyone knows the deal.
                            I think the big issue here, which is different than other years is tryouts and commitments to clubs are made prior to the end of the season.

Unlike FYSA which has tryouts after Memorial Day tournaments and you are done with your team.

Comment

I think the big issue here, which is different than other years is tryouts and commitments to clubs are made prior to the end of the season.

Unlike FYSA which has tryouts after Memorial Day tournaments and you are done with your team.
                              I agree. I would think long term about your decision, all of next year or several years vs. 1 month/tournament.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X