Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8v8 or 11v11

My kid was selected to a team compiled of u11/u12 players and it has come to my attention that we are going to play in the 8 versus 8 format. My question is should I be considering other options or keep him playing under his level. On the contrary to most parents I would like him to be pushed not win everything. This is a team that has lost a few players to academy programs near by. Any feedback would be gravely appreciated

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My kid was selected to a team compiled of u11/u12 players and it has come to my attention that we are going to play in the 8 versus 8 format. My question is should I be considering other options or keep him playing under his level. On the contrary to most parents I would like him to be pushed not win everything. This is a team that has lost a few players to academy programs near by. Any feedback would be gravely appreciated
    If this is truly a mixed team of U11 and U12 players, the U11 players have not had a chance to learn the additional 8v8 format/system of play with offside. Besides, to throw the U11's on a full size field would be crazy.

Comment

If this is truly a mixed team of U11 and U12 players, the U11 players have not had a chance to learn the additional 8v8 format/system of play with offside. Besides, to throw the U11's on a full size field would be crazy.
      It really depends on the players.

You dont go to 11v11 until U13 so playing up as u12 is ok but you better have a full lineup and the challenge is the field size. Passing all the way across , shooting and general physical ability to play on that size field can be a challenge for some players.

As for U11s, I would assume that last year as U10s they were playing 6v6 on a small field. To bypass 8v8 and go straight to 11v11 will be a very big jump. Maybe those U11s played up last year as 8v8 but again this is a big field and a lot more players. 8v8 gives players a lot more action and game touches which is the experience they need.

But that being said there are U11s that can handle it - so it really depends on your situation and the individual players.

Comment

15 x 15 next year, increase number of players on the field, make sure everyone understands spacing with limited space available, and most kids will never touch ball more than once or twice a game. Bigger field, more kids.

Comment

http://www.cbcdutchtouch.com/images/...Sidedgames.ppt

Comment

http://www.soccerindiana.org/UserFil...es%20Study.pdf

Comment

Thank you .
              If nothing else please just read the summary page 35 .

Comment

Your kid will be playing up not because of his skill level, but simply because the team needs kids. Nothing more. I'm sure the coach told you how great your kid is, and that he needs to play up. But, C'Mon! You said it yourself. The team lost players and now they are just scrambling to fill the roster. Doesn't matter if it's 11v11. THe level of competition, how many game & tour., the training, playing time... Those matter more. YOur kid needs to learn to play the game the right way. That means good touches, and plays multiple touches kind of soccer. Keeping possessions rather than clearing or feeding long balls.

Comment

However, in Florida the U-11-12 groups will be playing with one more player per team as a result of this USSF initiative.

Comment

Super Y League is mandating the new initiatives for the summer. Should be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

Comment

Is the US going 7v7 and 9v9?

Comment

Is the US going 7v7 and 9v9?
                        Depends on age. Most older groups will continue to stay 11v11.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X