Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non- Florida ECNL

Question: someone posted something about CASL's ECNL age policy and how they were handling it. While reading it, I noticed the players trying out are invited and not open to anyone. Can anyone speak to why it is different here? Or speak to how that works there?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Question: someone posted something about CASL's ECNL age policy and how they were handling it. While reading it, I noticed the players trying out are invited and not open to anyone. Can anyone speak to why it is different here? Or speak to how that works there?
    That's the case with many real ECNL teams. The Fl teams, especially south Florida (BU for sure) take just about any player who goes to tryouts. Last year BU had players who literally didn't start at other local clubs. BU opens their tryouts to any player who owns shin pads and soccer shoes. CASL is a real national level club that's won many state, regional, and national championships before they were ECNL. Boca United has literally never won even one state championship! Fl ECNL is not real ECNL. Look at the scores from last season if you don't believe me. I do think TBU has a real chance to be the first real ECNL club in Florida but time will tell.

Comment

That's the case with many real ECNL teams. The Fl teams, especially south Florida (BU for sure) take just about any player who goes to tryouts. Last year BU had players who literally didn't start at other local clubs. BU opens their tryouts to any player who owns shin pads and soccer shoes. CASL is a real national level club that's won many state, regional, and national championships before they were ECNL. Boca United has literally never won even one state championship! Fl ECNL is not real ECNL. Look at the scores from last season if you don't believe me. I do think TBU has a real chance to be the first real ECNL club in Florida but time will tell.
      Misdirection at its best. Weston trying to subtly manipulate people to not come to the tryouts next week. We will be just fine

Comment

Why does it make a team better because they only invite players to try out? Especially at a young age, why wouldn't you want to see as many kids as possible? If they are all so terrible, then they don't make it.

Comment

By the time they are U14 and ready for ECNL, the coaches already know who the good players are. If a girl has not been identified by then, it will be hard to get onto and ECNL team. And yes, the coached know girls from all teams in the area, not just those in the ECNL club.

Comment

JFC is a real ECNL club.

Comment

JFC is a real ECNL club.
              Do they have "invitation only" tryouts?

Comment

I heard that too. I have a family friend whose daughter plays for the Michigan Hawks in ECNL. They are widely considered one of the top ECNL programs in the country and their web site lists all the accomplishments below. He said it's great having a program like that in the area but it also can have a negative impact on the overall local soccer community. He said basically, if you're not in their pipeline and showing promise by the time you're about 10 years old there is no way to break into that club. So he said their ECNL tryouts are by invitation only because basically their roster is set by the time ECNL starts at U14. I see Florida people lamenting the lack of "talent aggregation" but I think you have to be careful what you wish for. He said it would be great to have more ECNL options because the way it is up there all the girls know by the time they are 10 or 11 that they are not playing for the "best" club and probably never will. While Florida seems screwy sometimes at least there appears to be more options.

12 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
                12 NATIONAL FINALISTS
                35 REGION II CHAMPIONSHIPS
                82 STATE CUP CHAMPIONSHIPS
                26 MR / MISS SOCCER WINNERS
                14 CURRENT U.S. NATIONAL TEAM PLAYERS
                11 GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR WINNERS
                134 PLAYERS CURRENTLY PLAYING IN COLLEGE

Comment

yeah, imagine that... perhaps we take into account that silly thing "puberty" it can change everything. Anyone know what a 10 yr old, 4'8" girl is going to look like when she is 15-16? You can look at mom (and dad) to get some idea, but you really have to look at grandparents, both sets to really know... at 15-16, you could end up with a skilled 4'8" girl weighing 80 lbs; a 6' girl weighing 190; or heaven forbid, a 6' girl weighing 80 lbs. Please tell me they interview the families too... lol. taking soccer one season at a time is the only real way to know what skill ANY kid has or has the potential to have. Many kids bloom late too... it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that Michiganders would ignore late blooming kids not in their system already... I mean, here is a list of some of their most famous and successful people:

1.Curtis Armstrong, actor who played Booger in the 1984 comedy “Revenge of the Nerds,” was born and raised in Michigan.
                  2.Gilda Radner, famous for her work on Saturday Night Live, was born and raised in Michigan.
                  3.Andy Richter, comedian and Conan O’Brien sidekick, was born in Grand Rapids.
                  4.Steven Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. While it’s not intentional, Seagal does provide a lot to laugh at.
                  5.Comedian Sinbad was born and raised in Benton Harbor, Michigan.
                  6.Pro wrestler George “The Animal” Steele was born in Detroit and grew up in Madison Heights.
                  7.Comedian and SNL cast member Tim Meadows was born in Highland Park.
                  8.Comedian David Allen Grier was born and raised in Detroit, and he received a B.A. from the University of Michigan.
                  9.Actor Jeff Daniels, famed for his role in the film Dumb and Dummer, grew up in Chelsea, Michigan.
                  10.Comedian Sandra Bernhard spent her early years in Flint, Michigan.
                  11.Dick Martin, co-host of Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, was born in Battle Creek and graduated from Michigan State University.
                  12.Lilly Tomlin, a comedic actress, writer, and producer, was born and raised in Detroit.
                  13.Actor and comedian Robin Williams grew up in Detroit.

and absolutely can't leave out one of the best:

President Gerald Ford!

amazing. I could go on and on...

Comment

yeah, imagine that... perhaps we take into account that silly thing "puberty" it can change everything. Anyone know what a 10 yr old, 4'8" girl is going to look like when she is 15-16? You can look at mom (and dad) to get some idea, but you really have to look at grandparents, both sets to really know... at 15-16, you could end up with a skilled 4'8" girl weighing 80 lbs; a 6' girl weighing 190; or heaven forbid, a 6' girl weighing 80 lbs. Please tell me they interview the families too... lol. taking soccer one season at a time is the only real way to know what skill ANY kid has or has the potential to have. Many kids bloom late too... it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that Michiganders would ignore late blooming kids not in their system already... I mean, here is a list of some of their most famous and successful people:

1.Curtis Armstrong, actor who played Booger in the 1984 comedy “Revenge of the Nerds,” was born and raised in Michigan.
                    2.Gilda Radner, famous for her work on Saturday Night Live, was born and raised in Michigan.
                    3.Andy Richter, comedian and Conan O’Brien sidekick, was born in Grand Rapids.
                    4.Steven Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. While it’s not intentional, Seagal does provide a lot to laugh at.
                    5.Comedian Sinbad was born and raised in Benton Harbor, Michigan.
                    6.Pro wrestler George “The Animal” Steele was born in Detroit and grew up in Madison Heights.
                    7.Comedian and SNL cast member Tim Meadows was born in Highland Park.
                    8.Comedian David Allen Grier was born and raised in Detroit, and he received a B.A. from the University of Michigan.
                    9.Actor Jeff Daniels, famed for his role in the film Dumb and Dummer, grew up in Chelsea, Michigan.
                    10.Comedian Sandra Bernhard spent her early years in Flint, Michigan.
                    11.Dick Martin, co-host of Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, was born in Battle Creek and graduated from Michigan State University.
                    12.Lilly Tomlin, a comedic actress, writer, and producer, was born and raised in Detroit.
                    13.Actor and comedian Robin Williams grew up in Detroit.

and absolutely can't leave out one of the best:

President Gerald Ford!

amazing. I could go on and on...
                    I was born and raised in Metro Detroit and didn't know Steven Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan. See.... TS does provide useful information!

Comment

Do they have "invitation only" tryouts?
                      They stated the first two years would be open and then they would move to invitation only.

Comment

They stated the first two years would be open and then they would move to invitation only.
                        Which is kind of silly since most (good) clubs already know who they want well before tryouts, and they usually invite players to practices ahead of tryout time to see if there's a fit. Once ECNL rosters are established there is little movement anyway. You have to be simply outstanding to wrench a spot from an established player. With the age shuffle this year it's probably a player's best shot but will still be limited. Having open tryouts is just for show, except at weaker clubs or those just trying to get started and are desperate for bodies.

Comment

get your facts straight
                          last year u15 top 32 ocys champions tournament finished 23rd
                          last year u16 top 8 ocys champions tournament finished 7th
                          last year u17 top 32 champions tournament finished 26th

this year- u15 u16 and u17 will be in top 32 ocys will be in champions league nationals
                          u15 u16 and u17 will be in top 32 jfc will be in champions league nationals

Hey TBU we will see how you do next year playing in ECNL.

Comment

I heard that too. I have a family friend whose daughter plays for the Michigan Hawks in ECNL. They are widely considered one of the top ECNL programs in the country and their web site lists all the accomplishments below. He said it's great having a program like that in the area but it also can have a negative impact on the overall local soccer community. He said basically, if you're not in their pipeline and showing promise by the time you're about 10 years old there is no way to break into that club. So he said their ECNL tryouts are by invitation only because basically their roster is set by the time ECNL starts at U14. I see Florida people lamenting the lack of "talent aggregation" but I think you have to be careful what you wish for. He said it would be great to have more ECNL options because the way it is up there all the girls know by the time they are 10 or 11 that they are not playing for the "best" club and probably never will. While Florida seems screwy sometimes at least there appears to be more options.

12 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
                            12 NATIONAL FINALISTS
                            35 REGION II CHAMPIONSHIPS
                            82 STATE CUP CHAMPIONSHIPS
                            26 MR / MISS SOCCER WINNERS
                            14 CURRENT U.S. NATIONAL TEAM PLAYERS
                            11 GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR WINNERS
                            134 PLAYERS CURRENTLY PLAYING IN COLLEGE
                            how many ecnl championships do they have in 5 years of ecnl. 1 in all age groups so that tells you about the competition.

Comment

Which is kind of silly since most (good) clubs already know who they want well before tryouts, and they usually invite players to practices ahead of tryout time to see if there's a fit. Once ECNL rosters are established there is little movement anyway. You have to be simply outstanding to wrench a spot from an established player. With the age shuffle this year it's probably a player's best shot but will still be limited. Having open tryouts is just for show, except at weaker clubs or those just trying to get started and are desperate for bodies.
                              Look at previous year rosters at ocys and wff over the years they change every year adding players. So there is player movement and players have opportunity

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X