Best soccer player ever from Oregon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though he is not a native Oregonian, if you count that he played at U of P then I think it has to be Kasey Keller in a landslide. He played in the EPL, German Bundesliga and La Liga plus being a member of 4 US World Cup teams.

Not too bad of a career.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The US has not advanced any farther in the WC as they did 20 years ago.

There are much more national youth playing opportunities than there were 20 years ago.

It is not like Rubio signed with the EPL, German, Italian, or Spanish league.

I am sure he is a good player, but he has not arrived yet and may never get there. There have been plenty of player who have been called up for a friendly and never made it.
      That's all true, but signing a four year with a Dutch team is a little different than what you're comparing him to. Compared to them, he's already there.

Comment

With a roster like this

and playing for mid, to lower level team in the Eredivisie Currently
        The actually were Winners of the Eredivise: 1957–58 (as VV DOS)

It's hard to argue about what an incredible team it is to play for.

No. Position Player
        1 Netherlands GK Robbin Ruiter
        2 Netherlands DF Mark van der Maarel
        3 Netherlands DF Ramon Leeuwin
        5 Netherlands DF Christian Kum
        6 Morocco MF Anouar Kali
        7 France MF Édouard Duplan
        8 Netherlands MF Willem Janssen (captain)
        9 Netherlands FW Ruud Boymans
        10 Sweden FW Kristoffer Peterson
        11 Australia FW Tommy Oar
        12 Netherlands FW Leon de Kogel
        13 Netherlands DF Gévero Markiet
        14 Netherlands DF Kai Heerings
        15 Netherlands MF Mark Diemers
        No. Position Player
        16 Netherlands MF Yassine Ayoub
        17 Australia DF Michael Zullo
        18 Spain MF Fernando Quesada
        19 Australia MF Adam Sarota
        20 Netherlands FW Danny Verbeek (on loan from Standard Liège)
        21 Morocco MF Nacer Barazite
        24 Netherlands DF Yannick Cortie
        26 Netherlands DF Sean Klaiber
        27 Netherlands FW Gyliano van Velzen
        30 Netherlands GK Jeroen Verhoeven
        39 Cameroon FW Cedric Badjeck
        45 United States FW Rubio Rubin
        47 Netherlands FW Rodney Antwi
        49 Netherlands FW Issa Kallon

Comment

Here is the prospectus on the team for this season

With its 25,000 seat capacity FC Utrecht's stadium may be half the size of the Ajax Arena, but fanatical supporters still manage to make a lot more noise at their home games at the cosy Galgenwaard.

FC Utrecht was founded in 1970 after a fusion of three professional football clubs in Utrecht: DOS (founded in 1901 and national champion in 1958), Velox (founded in 1902) and Elinkwijk (founded in 1919). Home games are usually held on Sunday afternoons at 14:30.

Although they had tons of money, FC Utrecht was one of the least fortunate teams in the transfer period last season. All of their cash seemed to vanish. Its best players were sold, while relatively few players were bought. So, for the first time in decades, there aren't any high hopes for a good season for Utrecht's amazing supporters.

Anything better than being relegated to a lower league will probably be a bonus.

Comment

6 points from 3 games. In any event you're sure willing to put in a lot of effort to denigrate someone's achievements. Whatever makes you feel better.

Comment

Wow. Clubs founded in 1901 and 1902? I bet back then they played with a square ball. Wasn't 1920 to 1940 the development of the round ball era?

Comment

Men's soccer is more competitively globally, but not so much in the US. American men have only been playing soccer here the last 25 years or so. The best American athletes still do not play soccer beyond middle school. I doubt it if Rubio could play basketball or football. Tiffeny was all state in both basketball and track.

Did you miss the Germany vs. Brazil game? I thought Brazil lost 7-0.
                Kind of difficult to compare men's to women's soccer players in this country given the different histories, but your "American men have only been playing soccer here for the last 25 years or so" is way off [1989?]:

Ethnic groups have been playing soccer in this country for 100 years. US Open Cup games drew large crowds as early as the 20s and 30s . . . US Men were semifinalist in the 1930 world cup. Your 25-yrs is off - by a lot.

The US has been an early adopted of women's soccer and thrived early as a result. Tiffany was an outstanding player and I would agree - in terms of what she did on an international stage has not been approached by an Oregon man; not sure that makes here the best player ever from Oregon [I think Rubio or Barrett would win a 1v1 versus an 18 yr-old Tiffany, although it would be fun to watch].

As for your comment about Brazil v. Germany - you think Germany won that game 7-0 because they were bigger? The also dominated possession, a substantial number of their players play for Pep at Bayern, Brazil was incredible disorganized in the back, and Brazil for the last 20-yrs has been moving to be "more European" - i.e. more physical - at the international stage (big Phil is notorious for playing a physical, some would stay nasty, style). Germany played more beautifully in that game and throughout the tournament than Brazil.
                Last edited by Slow Xavi; 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

There's no comparison between the men's and women's games and that's okay. Do you really think a female player could compete 1 v. 1 with a professional male player?

Comment

Even though he is not a native Oregonian, if you count that he played at U of P then I think it has to be Kasey Keller in a landslide. He played in the EPL, German Bundesliga and La Liga plus being a member of 4 US World Cup teams.

Not too bad of a career.
                    If he did not play on "STEALTH" how could he ever be called great ?

Comment

There's no comparison between the men's and women's games and that's okay. Do you really think a female player could compete 1 v. 1 with a professional male player?
                      Probably not - all I am saying is that it would be interesting to see.

Comment

The US U-17s played the full USWNT a couple of years ago in a relatively unpublicized warm up game for the women. It wasn't pretty.

Milbrett was a great player. So was Mac.

Comment

The US U-17s played the full USWNT a couple of years ago in a relatively unpublicized warm up game for the women. It wasn't pretty.

Milbrett was a great player. So was Mac.
                          Just googled it - U17 boys 8, women's national team 2. Not shocking. Once coached a u12 boys team that was dominating in its area; scrimmaged a good u18 girls' team in the area and drew 1-1.

Having said that in some of the beer leagues I play in you will occasionally get an ex-women's college player there; if they are in their 20s they hold their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
                            Kind of difficult to compare men's to women's soccer players in this country given the different histories, but your "American men have only been playing soccer here for the last 25 years or so" is way off [1989?]:

Ethnic groups have been playing soccer in this country for 100 years. US Open Cup games drew large crowds as early as the 20s and 30s . . . US Men were semifinalist in the 1930 world cup. Your 25-yrs is off - by a lot.

The US has been an early adopted of women's soccer and thrived early as a result. Tiffany was an outstanding player and I would agree - in terms of what she did on an international stage has not been approached by an Oregon man; not sure that makes here the best player ever from Oregon [I think Rubio or Barrett would win a 1v1 versus an 18 yr-old Tiffany, although it would be fun to watch].

As for your comment about Brazil v. Germany - you think Germany won that game 7-0 because they were bigger? The also dominated possession, a substantial number of their players play for Pep at Bayern, Brazil was incredible disorganized in the back, and Brazil for the last 20-yrs has been moving to be "more European" - i.e. more physical - at the international stage (big Phil is notorious for playing a physical, some would stay nasty, style). Germany played more beautifully in that game and throughout the tournament than Brazil.
                            I did not think Germany beat Brazil because they are physically bigger. That comment was made in response to the previous poster's comment about not ever seeing blowouts on the men's side.

Soccer as a mainstream sport in America is fairly recent. If you want to say it has been mainstream since 1930 then go for it.

Of course, Rubio or Chad would be able to take on Tiffeny 1 on 1 in her prime. I would assume all MLS players could take and beat any female players.

The most accomplished player to come out of Oregon is Tiffeny.

Comment

My experience

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
                              Just googled it - U17 boys 8, women's national team 2. Not shocking. Once coached a u12 boys team that was dominating in its area; scrimmaged a good u18 girls' team in the area and drew 1-1.

Having said that in some of the beer leagues I play in you will occasionally get an ex-women's college player there; if they are in their 20s they hold their own.
                              My DD's club team played Boys teams just two years younger a few times and beat them. A U-12 boys team against a top flight U-18 girls team would be destroyed. Current women's college players, or recent graduates, hold there own just fine against similar aged men. Not as fast, nearly as strong, but very clever players. I watched an mixed indoor Xmas tournament in December, a few of the women held their own rather well. Women's soccer is a whole lot better than 5-10 years ago.

Comment

Inflation

6 points from 3 games. In any event you're sure willing to put in a lot of effort to denigrate someone's achievements. Whatever makes you feel better.
                                The Roster and the prospectus posted were not written as opinion by anyone. They are taken from the official page of the club.

If they want to denigrate themselves in your opinion, so be it.

Just stay cool, don't inflate 2 games to a career, a call up to USNT playing a match in europe during a period of diminished talent available as 'arriving'.

10 years from today will reveal if it was a false dawn or just the start of an stellar career.

Next

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X