What's more important for development?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait this is a U12 player who hasn’t gotten on the big field yet??? Stop already. If he loves his team and he is improving and getting playtime, don’t do anything

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      educate us dummy
      Well for one, a ten in a 4-4-2 is drastically different in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3. So playing the "10" position changes depending on the formation and the skill of the players available.

Comment

What's more important for development?

Well for one, a ten in a 4-4-2 is drastically different in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3. So playing the "10" position changes depending on the formation and the skill of the players available.
        any games below U13 are not real games...just kids in diapers playing...real soccer starts at u13 (full size field, 11v11, size 5 ball).

Comment

most u americans know nothing of the history of #10 player....over 100 years ago all positions have same numbers, goalie always #1 striker always #10. numbers are not special anymore...all bullsh_t.
          Ok, Pep.

Most Americans on a site like this realize there are many different ways to utilize attacking mids but using the term "#10" is simply a very general way to convey that they're a central attacking midfielder who usually has freedom to move around to create chances. As far as the numbers people wear, on my kid's team the starting "CAM" wears #16 so that is true that jersey # means very little, usually.

Comment

My 12 year old plays for a non-MLS DA team. He used to play offense switching between striker and offensive midfielder. He joined a DA team that already had some very strong players. They shifted him to defense where he starts and plays nearly every minute. However, he doesn't look as good, decisive, or as fast as he used to. He really likes the team and his teammates and refuses to leave for a rival DA team. My question is where is he more likely to reach his full potential? Playing against tougher opponents in a tougher league with more talented teammates? Or taking him back to his town team where he can play a more natural position?
            I also have a son who is on a U12 non-MLS DA team. This is his 2nd year, as he played up the year prior. In my experience, the outside backs in a 9v9 game touch the ball more than any other players, midfielders included. When playing from the back, as most DA teams do, they receive the ball from the GK the majority of the time. This means they are forced to make quick decisions while under pressure in an area of the field where it is imperative to maintain possession. As such, it is oftentimes the position where a coach will put the kids he feels are the most poised and confident - if the kid is not already poised and confident, he will develop these traits more quickly as an outside back.

My son spent his first year mostly playing up front on the wing, and this year he has almost exclusively been a holding midfielder. In both cases, he hasn't see nearly as much of the ball as the 2 outside backs do. Sometimes I actually wish that they would put him back there.

The point is, this may be the most challenging position for your son, and the one which might best advance his development. Don't fall into the narrow-minded mentality of believing he has to be an attacker in order to do this, especially at his age. He will continue to develop and improve regardless of what position he plays.

Comment

I also have a son who is on a U12 non-MLS DA team. This is his 2nd year, as he played up the year prior. In my experience, the outside backs in a 9v9 game touch the ball more than any other players, midfielders included. When playing from the back, as most DA teams do, they receive the ball from the GK the majority of the time. This means they are forced to make quick decisions while under pressure in an area of the field where it is imperative to maintain possession. As such, it is oftentimes the position where a coach will put the kids he feels are the most poised and confident - if the kid is not already poised and confident, he will develop these traits more quickly as an outside back.

My son spent his first year mostly playing up front on the wing, and this year he has almost exclusively been a holding midfielder. In both cases, he hasn't see nearly as much of the ball as the 2 outside backs do. Sometimes I actually wish that they would put him back there.

The point is, this may be the most challenging position for your son, and the one which might best advance his development. Don't fall into the narrow-minded mentality of believing he has to be an attacker in order to do this, especially at his age. He will continue to develop and improve regardless of what position he plays.
              Great feedback.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X