Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commitment

So many people do not give a cr8p about the commitment they make to a team. Parents quitting a team half way through a year sucks for everyone that's left. What message are we sending to our kids when we do this?

It depends on why they quit. Some reasons are terrible. Some are completely justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It depends on why they quit. Some reasons are terrible. Some are completely justifiable.
      True. Circumstance matter. Sometimes it is surprising 8f anyone stays depending.

Comment

Yes, if a kid will not get into a game what is the point of staying on that team particularly if there are substantial travel and travel costs associated with being on the team.

Comment

Yes, if a kid will not get into a game what is the point of staying on that team particularly if there are substantial travel and travel costs associated with being on the team.
          It works both ways. If the team/ coaches don't treat the kid right what loyalty does the club deserve.

Comment

It works both ways. If the team/ coaches don't treat the kid right what loyalty does the club deserve.
            None. They ate players and people, not door mats.

Comment

This one isn't in my opinion. kids get most of the game time and play in best positions on field. We are now left with less players and have injuries and they know this. I know er can't force them to stay but season is just about to start and have no time to get replacements.

Comment

This one isn't in my opinion. kids get most of the game time and play in best positions on field. We are now left with less players and have injuries and they know this. I know er can't force them to stay but season is just about to start and have no time to get replacements.
                then treat your bench players ("warmers") with respect if they have potential and guide and encourage them so they don't go elsewhere. then you wouldn't be scrambling.
                This isn't the pros or college where bench players have a benefit to stay on the bench. They are paying. If they re not good enough, be transparent from the beginning.

Comment

then treat your bench players ("warmers") with respect if they have potential and guide and encourage them so they don't go elsewhere. then you wouldn't be scrambling.
                  This isn't the pros or college where bench players have a benefit to stay on the bench. They are paying. If they re not good enough, be transparent from the beginning.
                  We don't have bench players and no one is leaving. coach is great, kids all play a lot, families been together a long time. My point is why out of nowhere would someone break a commitment knowing it puts team in jeopardy and why is it allowed to happen so easily? Do leagues/clubs not have rules or morals to stop this? One team gains two kids to a big roster and leave 10-11 'friends' with barely a team. Just think it sends crappy message.

Comment

The problem to me are naive parents. Club sells them, but many of the warmers' parents should have half a brain and look around and ask where the minutes are going to come from. They over-inflate their child's level and then wonder why they aren't playing.

Yes, Club shouldn't have picked them but it's the parents responsibility to have a bit of a clue.

Comment

There are other justifiable reasons for leaving a team mid-season such as an abusive coach, insane parents, teammates that are bullies, a mishandling of money by the team manager, unexpectedly high expenses and so on.

However, if it's just a matter of the players thinking that the grass is greener somewhere else, then I agree that they should play out the season before leaving.

Comment

We don't have bench players and no one is leaving. coach is great, kids all play a lot, families been together a long time. My point is why out of nowhere would someone break a commitment knowing it puts team in jeopardy and why is it allowed to happen so easily? Do leagues/clubs not have rules or morals to stop this? One team gains two kids to a big roster and leave 10-11 'friends' with barely a team. Just think it sends crappy message.
                        LIJSL has a $100 transfer fee and a 10 business day waiting period for post-registration transfers. US Club based leagues have no such rules.

Comment

There are other justifiable reasons for leaving a team mid-season such as an abusive coach, insane parents, teammates that are bullies, a mishandling of money by the team manager, unexpectedly high expenses and so on.

However, if it's just a matter of the players thinking that the grass is greener somewhere else, then I agree that they should play out the season before leaving.
                          If one pointed to ALL of those as the reason for leaving, I'd question their backbone.

Comment

There are always factors that you will never know about, but what age group, team, and league are you writing about??

Comment

If one pointed to ALL of those as the reason for leaving, I'd question their backbone.
                              A number of years ago one of the team mom's in our club who was mad at the assistant coach in the beginning of the spring season started loudly cheering goals scored against her own daughters team because the goalkeeper was the daughter of the assistant coach. The head coach did nothing about the mother because they were friends outside of soccer.

The assistant coach quit coaching in protest but kept his daughter on the team to finish out the season like you suggest. In response the head coach dramatically cut down the goalkeepers minutes for the rest of the season since he knew she was leaving. For the rest of the season the girl was miserable and it killed her love of the game and she eventually quit playing altogether.

There was zero reason for that poor kid to remain in that toxic situation and take away her love of the game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X