Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not sure want to do that, she can be costly!
    she is worth it

Comment

Dramatic much?!?! No social life? wow, that is rich. these kids dont know anything else and when i played, my teammates were my best friends. we wanted to hang out (on the field, in the weight room, running, kicking around, eating lunch/dinner, going out for fun, b|itch about the coaches/practices ......). we had a GREAT social life (with guys on the team and people that didnt play) and it was tons of fun. it was a lot of work, and we couldnt always do everything we wanted, but we did plenty during season and out of season.
      Thanks for the insight gramps. Of course D1 athletes have some kid of social life. But it tends to be more team focused like you knuckleheads and definitely much more limited time wise. It certainly isn't the same in breadth, depth and time as a non athlete will experience. Internships and study abroad opportunities are also very limited.

Comment

Thanks for the insight gramps. Of course D1 athletes have some kid of social life. But it tends to be more team focused like you knuckleheads and definitely much more limited time wise. It certainly isn't the same in breadth, depth and time as a non athlete will experience. Internships and study abroad opportunities are also very limited.
        The OP said no social life .... there is a really rich social life for student athletes ... i would argue one that non-athletes will never know. The camaraderie on a team, with non-athletes, and getting along great with athletes from other teams (since you see them all of the time at the athletic center) is awesome. Sorry chump, your original post was way off. Different does not mean awful as you suggested in that post. Anyone who doesn't get and love what that means is doing it for the wrong reasons and should quit immediately.

Comment

The OP said no social life .... there is a really rich social life for student athletes ... i would argue one that non-athletes will never know. The camaraderie on a team, with non-athletes, and getting along great with athletes from other teams (since you see them all of the time at the athletic center) is awesome. Sorry chump, your original post was way off. Different does not mean awful as you suggested in that post. Anyone who doesn't get and love what that means is doing it for the wrong reasons and should quit immediately.
          I'm a different poster which is why I said athletes have some degree of a social life.

BTW you're sounding an awful lot like those who advocate for HS soccer.

Comment

Ny gda

I'm a different poster which is why I said athletes have some degree of a social life.

the term "social life" is completely discretionary and subject to anyones opinion at any time.
            what might be a "good" social life for one, may not be a "good" or "suitable" social life for another........to each there own.

Comment

the term "social life" is completely discretionary and subject to anyones opinion at any time.
              what might be a "good" social life for one, may not be a "good" or "suitable" social life for another........to each there own.
              Thanks grandmama

Comment

she is worth it
                nope, but she is very funny!!

Comment

"Some degree of social life"? There you go again. I had as rich a social life in college as anyone in college and I expect my D1 daughter to as well. You know some of my biggest and most fond memories from D1 soccer were ..... traveling (locally, regionally, and internationally) ..... busting our butts and succeeding .... busting our butts and failing but learning something along the way (and no regrets) ..... taking shortcuts and failing (and learning something along the way) .... the camaraderie of the team atmosphere ..... covering for each other ..... breaking the rules and not getting caught ..... showing up to some practices with the worst hangovers and getting through them together ..... going out together (sometimes when we were supposed to be getting to bed early) ..... long bus rides ..... seeing one of your friends succeed in class they struggled in because you helped them (or a bunch of you did) ..... I didnt get to study in Europe (and I would have liked to), but I have no regrets .... I didnt want to be an MD or PhD, so no regrets there either for not being able to take classes with labs ..... I interacted a lot outside of my teammates as well and had plenty of friends outside of athletics so i was not sheltered there .... I did not miss out on anything because of soccer in college .... in fact, I would venture to say that I got far more back than I gave up and none of that was about a single penny. I can't believe that you think this way (it is just so foreign to me). Those were some of the absolute best times of my life.
                  WHY DID YOU PLAY OR ALLOW YOUR KID TO PLAY IF YOU ARE SO SURE THEY ARE GOING TO MISS OUT ON EVERYTHING?!?!

Comment

Yeah I'm crying over my kid not being able to enter wet t-shirt contests and keg stand competition at the frat house every Friday night! Oh and there are plenty of summertime internships and study abroad options, but thanks for your concern

Comment

So what is the Virginia bound super-star going to do, a prom date perhaps??
                      Why continually talk about her? She is a great player, great teammate, and a very hard worker who is dedicated to soccer. Yes, she missed one game to go to her junior prom and if her team was going to playoffs, she would never miss it.

Leave the kid alone and focus on your own daughter.

Comment

Why continually talk about her? She is a great player, great teammate, and a very hard worker who is dedicated to soccer. Yes, she missed one game to go to her junior prom and if her team was going to playoffs, she would never miss it.

Ouch, the jab from the Jabbers, holy jabsaroni

Comment

Agreed that is a total dbag comment. Most players are totally dedicated but they're also still kids. There are certain life events that shouldn't be missed for a soccer game - prom, sibling graduation, big family event etc. You can't ever get those back and you will not remember a specific regular league game

Comment

Ouch, the jab from the Jabbers, holy jabsaroni
                            Your psydonyn. Dixie Enormus

Comment

Agreed that is a total dbag comment. Most players are totally dedicated but they're also still kids. There are certain life events that shouldn't be missed for a soccer game - prom, sibling graduation, big family event etc. You can't ever get those back and you will not remember a specific regular league game
                              The person knows he is a douche bag and is upset that his mommy is not funny just fun.

Comment

Not the Op, but my daughter shut her down every time they played Fury, not impressed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X