Is DA actually worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most college coaches don’t care what league you play in.
    DA is for helicopter parents

Comment

But...why does a soccer player have to be involved in HS soccer to be involved in school? Why can't they get their experiences supporting the other teams? What's wrong with getting out the sheltered community and gaining exposure to other towns and people and expanding your circle?

Many of you are like myself: You had positive experiences in HS and want your kids to have to same. I do get it. That's just what you did then for the most part. It's different today.

I have life-long friends from HS, some going back to nursery school. None of them played soccer. They were my friends then, and remain acquaintances today, but most of my HS memories include many activities other than soccer.

I have no problem if my D wanted to play HS, and her school is very good. But, she wants no part of it and loves she has an entire group of friends all on her own.

What I don't get is why the drama? Why can't kids who want to play HS, go play it? Those who don't...don't play it?

Why are their a dozen posts/day on here trying to shlt on others' decisions or trying to convince them otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        This is actually, factually, false. On the boys side, I know of some schools where you enter your details into a database, and you chose a drop-down for your club affiliation. Only DA clubs were listed. You could click "other" and fill in your respective club.

I'm 100% sure that's not ALL schools, but there is at least one highly-respected college who differs from your statement above.

Comment

But...why does a soccer player have to be involved in HS soccer to be involved in school? Why can't they get their experiences supporting the other teams? What's wrong with getting out the sheltered community and gaining exposure to other towns and people and expanding your circle?

Many of you are like myself: You had positive experiences in HS and want your kids to have to same. I do get it. That's just what you did then for the most part. It's different today.

I have life-long friends from HS, some going back to nursery school. None of them played soccer. They were my friends then, and remain acquaintances today, but most of my HS memories include many activities other than soccer.

I have no problem if my D wanted to play HS, and her school is very good. But, she wants no part of it and loves she has an entire group of friends all on her own.

What I don't get is why the drama? Why can't kids who want to play HS, go play it? Those who don't...don't play it?

Why are their a dozen posts/day on here trying to shlt on others' decisions or trying to convince them otherwise?

The answer is a soccer player doesn't have to be involved in HS soccer to be involved in school. However for the vast majority of kids, they are giving up allot choosing not to participate in a HS sport that they excel at. There are some experiences you can have playing HS sports, that you can never have just playing club. Not the end all be all, just something to consider.

Comment

Not sure if you referencing the boys or girls side. On the boys side this is not true at all.

If you think a coach doesn't care if you play DA versus NEP you are crazy. Even if the kid is a good player they need to know that they can handle the speed of play (and the higher you go the game speeds up...and no, I am not saying they care more about DA than NPL or ECNL...except I think they do care more about DA because college coaches like to say they have a DA kid on their team). Have you gone through an athletic recruitment process before?

Comment

This is actually, factually, false. On the boys side, I know of some schools where you enter your details into a database, and you chose a drop-down for your club affiliation. Only DA clubs were listed. You could click "other" and fill in your respective club.

I'm 100% sure that's not ALL schools, but there is at least one highly-respected college who differs from your statement above.
              Not the original poster, but they said "most" which is 100% a true statement. The one you may know is definitely not most schools.

Comment

The answer is a soccer player doesn't have to be involved in HS soccer to be involved in school. However for the vast majority of kids, they are giving up allot choosing not to participate in a HS sport that they excel at. There are some experiences you can have playing HS sports, that you can never have just playing club. Not the end all be all, just something to consider.
                All true, and she considered it and decided she liked this more.

There are experiences she gets playing club she cannot have playing HS. She's weighed them out, and for now (every year we talk about it) this is the path she wants.

She's also a very, very good math student. She's not on the math and robotics teams either. She rides horses, but is not on the equestrian team either (but does ride for a private club where she works in the barn for lessons).

A love of something doesn't mean you have to do it for your HS.

Comment

Not sure if you referencing the boys or girls side. On the boys side this is not true at all.

If you think a coach doesn't care if you play DA versus NEP you are crazy. Even if the kid is a good player they need to know that they can handle the speed of play (and the higher you go the game speeds up...and no, I am not saying they care more about DA than NPL or ECNL...except I think they do care more about DA because college coaches like to say they have a DA kid on their team). Have you gone through an athletic recruitment process before?
                  While you may have an easier time getting looked at, with DA on your resume, once they take a look it simply doesn't matter. There are plenty of NEP or HS players that are better then low level DA players. While DA is beneficial it is not the end all be all, how many DA players don't get a commit, half?, 2/3rds?

Comment

Let me guess. This is your D's first year in DA, she's not actually in HS yet, and she plays for some crappy DA team like Seacoast.

You're going to make it your mission to refute every post on here that isn't 100% pro-DA because deep down you realize you've been taken for a ride but can't admit it.

Did your D care one bit about which league she was in or did daddy do all the thinking for her?

Comment

alright dude, we got your point like the 10th time you said it. you seem to be repeating the same point *allot*.

Comment

Let me guess. This is your D's first year in DA, she's not actually in HS yet, and she plays for some crappy DA team like Seacoast.

You're going to make it your mission to refute every post on here that isn't 100% pro-DA because deep down you realize you've been taken for a ride but can't admit it.

Did your D care one bit about which league she was in or did daddy do all the thinking for her?
                        If I had my way, we'd be in ECNL and she could do both. Not an option for us.

And, as long as their are people with agendas making comments, I have every right to refute them. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

You assume I've bought something if you think I've been taken for a ride.... Just another guy navigating my way through what's in front of me and trying to align the resources available to make the family happy. That stands to change year-to-year.

But, as long as HS soccer is positioned as some vital means to having a connection to a community, when I know that's not the case, I'll call out your false narrative.

Comment

If I had my way, we'd be in ECNL and she could do both. Not an option for us.

And, as long as their are people with agendas making comments, I have every right to refute them. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

You assume I've bought something if you think I've been taken for a ride.... Just another guy navigating my way through what's in front of me and trying to align the resources available to make the family happy. That stands to change year-to-year.

But, as long as HS soccer is positioned as some vital means to having a connection to a community, when I know that's not the case, I'll call out your false narrative.
                          Middle schooler, first year DA, Seacoast. Check, check, check.

Daddy with his own agenda. Check.

Comment

While you may have an easier time getting looked at, with DA on your resume, once they take a look it simply doesn't matter. There are plenty of NEP or HS players that are better then low level DA players. While DA is beneficial it is not the end all be all, how many DA players don't get a commit, half?, 2/3rds?
                            I would guess 80% of graduating DA players go on to play in college. What percentage of graduating NPL players play in college? Is it 3%? Maybe 4%?

Comment

Middle schooler, first year DA, Seacoast. Check, check, check.

Daddy with his own agenda. Check.
                              Nope, nope, nope.

Absolutely nope.

I get it when someone doesn't join your circle jerk things go haywire.

Keep going through your HS yearbooks and remembering the good ole days, grandpa

Comment

I know a kid that plays DA for the Revs, and he is giving up allot not being able to play HS soccer with his friends he grew up playing with from Town Soccer, and it bothers him. Right now his goal is to give up playing DA his senior year of HS and play for his school, but we will see if that hold true in a few years, once that times arrives.
                                If he doesn't want to play DA then why is he there? He should play HS if he wants. If kids want to play DA and don't care about HS then they should be allowed to do it too without people bashing them for it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X