Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Coaches

Who are the best club coaches in Oregon for developing soccer players? Doesn't matter GDA, ECNL or OYSA.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Who are the best club coaches in Oregon for developing soccer players? Doesn't matter GDA, ECNL or OYSA.
    Blah. This has been tried numerous times and no one cares for this thread.

Comment

This is subjective.

One might seem they are the best coach but it doesn’t take into account they recruited almost all of their players from a coach who actually developed them.

A parent might post about x coach only because their kid sees more playing time.

Oh and don’t forget the bull**** that it’s the league that develops not the coach or team.

Comment

All Oregon coaches are dinosaurs and teach the game like its 1993

Comment

American coaching. 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

I'm afraid this is mostly correct. Parents are from '93 as well with their "GET IT OUTTA THERE" crap.

Everyone chasing results, no one allowing kids to learn the game properly.

Comment

A (not complete defense of bootball: https://www.socceramerica.com/public...ct-soccer.html. Unfortunately behind a paywall, but you get three free articles a month, and clever Internet users know how to get around it with the "developer tools" item in their browser. :)

My main issue with "route 1" tactics are when the ONLY thing a club teaches, and the club struggles against defenses that can apply pressure to ballcarriers trying to bring it up on the ground, or against teams that park the bus. It isn't uncommon to see teams that are mainly big, fast, and strong, but not very good at soccer. (There are other teams that are big, fast, and strong, and also skilled).

I do remember a few years ago, when Barca (at the club level) and Spain internationally were winning everything left and right with tiki taka, and lots of commentators complained that this was "anti-football".

Of course, at some point the games do become truly about winning, not about development. At younger ages, development should be a focus, not the final score.

Comment

A (not complete defense of bootball: https://www.socceramerica.com/public...ct-soccer.html. Unfortunately behind a paywall, but you get three free articles a month, and clever Internet users know how to get around it with the "developer tools" item in their browser. :)

My main issue with "route 1" tactics are when the ONLY thing a club teaches, and the club struggles against defenses that can apply pressure to ballcarriers trying to bring it up on the ground, or against teams that park the bus. It isn't uncommon to see teams that are mainly big, fast, and strong, but not very good at soccer. (There are other teams that are big, fast, and strong, and also skilled).

I do remember a few years ago, when Barca (at the club level) and Spain internationally were winning everything left and right with tiki taka, and lots of commentators complained that this was "anti-football".

Of course, at some point the games do become truly about winning, not about development. At younger ages, development should be a focus, not the final score.

I agree with your point about development young vs winning. However, if you don't win, parents pack up the best athletes and move on. Not saying that is right, but it happens most of the time.

It takes a lot of work by a coach to convince parents and kids to fight through the long learning curve.

Bottom line the best players want to win. All parents want to win.

Comment

I agree with your point about development young vs winning. However, if you don't win, parents pack up the best athletes and move on. Not saying that is right, but it happens most of the time.

It takes a lot of work by a coach to convince parents and kids to fight through the long learning curve.

Bottom line the best players want to win. All parents want to win.
                  Perhaps if the message about long-term vs short-term were to come from the mouth of e.g. the scouts and coaches at the Timbers, it might sink in further. Parents tend to assume that the coach they just dropped $2k on is the Alex Ferguson of youth soccer, and any other coach at any other club who says differently is selling snake oil. To think otherwise is to admit you just got conned.

Comment

Perhaps if the message about long-term vs short-term were to come from the mouth of e.g. the scouts and coaches at the Timbers, it might sink in further. Parents tend to assume that the coach they just dropped $2k on is the Alex Ferguson of youth soccer, and any other coach at any other club who says differently is selling snake oil. To think otherwise is to admit you just got conned.
                    Problem is the TA coaches are the biggest snake oil sleezes in the area...nothing like tax free cash for personal training that is getting kids roster spots- almost as bad as the college entrance scams by the wealthy parents

Comment

Just an opinion for the argument of Development vs Winning. These guys really focus on the overall long-term development of the individual.

https://www.soccerchanceacademy.us/about/#sca-our-staff

Comment

Just an opinion for the argument of Development vs Winning. These guys really focus on the overall long-term development of the individual.

That's your opinion and/or hope. They have not been here long term yet to see if that truly is their motive/intent. Their words might fit, but so does the words of a car salesman...

Only time will tell

Comment

That's your opinion and/or hope. They have not been here long term yet to see if that truly is their motive/intent. Their words might fit, but so does the words of a car salesman...

Only time will tell
                          Seeing is believing. Doing is a lot harder than talking. Totally agree.

Comment

Soccer Chance Academy

I’m willing to look into this club and see how the coaches coach. So far, I haven’t seen the best coaches for my kids’ teams in some of the major, established clubs. I love that SCA is based at Adventist field. It’s in Portland in a central location. I don’t feel like driving all the way to Harmony, Eastside’s field, or Westside’s location. I’m excited that there is a new club in town with ties to England’s Soccer Chance Academy.

Comment

I’m willing to look into this club and see how the coaches coach. So far, I haven’t seen the best coaches for my kids’ teams in some of the major, established clubs. I love that SCA is based at Adventist field. It’s in Portland in a central location. I don’t feel like driving all the way to Harmony, Eastside’s field, or Westside’s location. I’m excited that there is a new club in town with ties to England’s Soccer Chance Academy.
                              Good lord. This is a play right out of GPS playbook. But at least they had Bayern, who is Soccer Chance academy? Sounds like another group of English coaches fleecing Americans out of their money.

Nice try advertising anonymously.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X