Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Out Season 2019-2020

Relatively new to Oregon. Up north we have the try out problems below. Is Oregon like this too or are the clubs more civilized here?

“Spot on. Any discussion about "protecting the clubs" and the "investment [clubs] are making" laughable, given the pay-to-play model that dominates the landscape.

My kids play at one of "big" ECNL clubs, I know the game, as both a player and coach. If I thought it was in my kids' best interests (for any number of reasons), we would leave in a heartbeat. As we should. Like it or not, we ARE consumers so long as a pay-to-play model is in place.

And, frankly, if one of my kids was placed on a lower team so that a director or coach's kid can be on the A or B team (I'm thinking of two very specific, very obvious situations at our club where the 2 players are in over their heads), I'd absolutely consider leaving. Fortunately, that is not my kids' age groups.

Our club (and the other "big" clubs) would gladly prioritize bringing in a new player over "investing" in their existing players, if it meant they could claim a state championship in the short-term and build their "brand."

Like it or not, that's the state of things these days. (Unless, of course, your kid gets special treatment because you're a director, coach, or on the board.)

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Relatively new to Oregon. Up north we have the try out problems below. Is Oregon like this too or are the clubs more civilized here?

“Spot on. Any discussion about "protecting the clubs" and the "investment [clubs] are making" laughable, given the pay-to-play model that dominates the landscape.

My kids play at one of "big" ECNL clubs, I know the game, as both a player and coach. If I thought it was in my kids' best interests (for any number of reasons), we would leave in a heartbeat. As we should. Like it or not, we ARE consumers so long as a pay-to-play model is in place.

And, frankly, if one of my kids was placed on a lower team so that a director or coach's kid can be on the A or B team (I'm thinking of two very specific, very obvious situations at our club where the 2 players are in over their heads), I'd absolutely consider leaving. Fortunately, that is not my kids' age groups.

Our club (and the other "big" clubs) would gladly prioritize bringing in a new player over "investing" in their existing players, if it meant they could claim a state championship in the short-term and build their "brand."

Like it or not, that's the state of things these days. (Unless, of course, your kid gets special treatment because you're a director, coach, or on the board.)
    Amen. Huge problem in SW Washington

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X