Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Based on what they've done in the past, since there was 2 groups per age, they will choose half from one group, half from another for stage 2. At stage 2, they will cut that group in half, and that will be the team. Only 1 team per age group. Not trying to knock anyones kid, but their selection shouldn't be that hard based on the talent that showed up. I'm convinced that parents told their kids to "shoot at goal as much as possible." Most of the girls we watched were ball hogs, not team players, and one of the things they are looking for is just that, team players. I realize as parents we have all told our kids to go out there and do your best, make sure you show them what you can do. But, soccer is a team sport. Not, "hey, watch me not pass and score lots of goals." It was obvious which girls have had training outside of township/club/academy. There were a few girls that actually did some impressive passes. One thing everyone needs to remember about ODP, They practice ONCE a month. Unlike your current teams, they don't have the time to develope/train your girls. They are looking for girls that play well together, pass, work as a team. Any girls that seem to be a problem player, ie ball hogging, they will most likely pass on. They want SMART players. Unfortunately, there wasn't a impressive group to choose from. I know this might upset some, but thats the facts, and it doesn't mean your child is a bad player, just a player with bad habits. Expect a email later on today, if not tomorrow.
    I noticed the same exact thing. Which age group are you referring to that you watched?

Comment

Sorry, i can’t disclose that.

I noticed the same exact thing. Which age group are you referring to that you watched?

Comment

Sorry, i can’t disclose that.
        We were at the 2008 tryouts and saw the same thing.

Comment

2009 girls

Comment

Some advice for everyonat homee who tried out. Stage 2 tryouts are this Saturday. I believe there are at least 3 tournaments going on in our area this weekend. It's not right that some kids that deserve a shot at this will have to pass up the opportunity to try out simply because of loyalty to their team. Everyone should send a email to ODP expressing their concern about the tryout dates. If ODP doesn't change the date, they will be passing up on some really talented kids. Heres the email address. Shoot th a email, just explaining your concerns about the date. If enough people voice their opinions, maybe they will change it, and out kids won't be forced to pass this up....
            odp@njyouthsoccer.com

Comment

Some advice for everyonat homee who tried out. Stage 2 tryouts are this Saturday. I believe there are at least 3 tournaments going on in our area this weekend. It's not right that some kids that deserve a shot at this will have to pass up the opportunity to try out simply because of loyalty to their team. Everyone should send a email to ODP expressing their concern about the tryout dates. If ODP doesn't change the date, they will be passing up on some really talented kids. Heres the email address. Shoot th a email, just explaining your concerns about the date. If enough people voice their opinions, maybe they will change it, and out kids won't be forced to pass this up....
              odp@njyouthsoccer.com
              While, in a perfect world, they would work around it at this point in the year they will always have something going on for someone. Some will have a tournament while others may have a league game. It is what it is and I'm sure most coaches wouldn't fret over losing a player or two for an early tournament due to ODP. If your coach is more co concerned about winning a meaningless tournament instead of the development of your child then you should really start looking for a new club.

Comment

While, in a perfect world, they would work around it at this point in the year they will always have something going on for someone. Some will have a tournament while others may have a league game. It is what it is and I'm sure most coaches wouldn't fret over losing a player or two for an early tournament due to ODP. If your coach is more co concerned about winning a meaningless tournament instead of the development of your child then you should really start looking for a new club.
                Keep In mind, one of the selling points of ODP is that it's not suppose to interfere with your normal club. If your a starter on your team and your coach is counting on you to be at his game, I don't believe any coach would be happy that your missing your teams game to a outside program. As for development of your child, it's one day a month. Not a major training opportunity. Perhaps your kid is a bench warmer and it's not a major loss if she isn't at a game. Loyalty to your primary club is a priority. If your coach doesn't care if you miss his things for something else, maybe your at the wrong club.

Comment

I have a team playing this weekend in a tournament. If any if my girls told me they would be missing our games for a ODP tryout, I would not be happy about it. We practice as a team. A child missing because they are sick is one thing. Would your boss be happy if you missed work because you went to do a side job with someone else? I count on my girls to be there. While your club might not care who makes and misses practices and games, I can can tell you that I do.

Comment

Meaningless tournament?? What planet are you on? Any opportunity for our kids to play as a team is not meaningless. They don't improve as a team if they don't play as a team. Perhaps your kid doesn't get alot of play time?

Comment

Meaningless tournament?? What planet are you on? Any opportunity for our kids to play as a team is not meaningless. They don't improve as a team if they don't play as a team. Perhaps your kid doesn't get alot of play time?
                      Lol.... maybe his kid was one of the ball hogs from tryouts....

Comment

Lol.... maybe his kid was one of the ball hogs from tryouts....
                        His kids coach is probably happy they will miss a game....

Comment

His kids coach is probably happy they will miss a game....
                          Nice way to talk about a 10 year old! Is that what you teach your kids?

Comment

Seems like a failure at all levels at least on the girls side. How can you claim to want the best of the best knowing that the majority of high level teams are playing this weekend? Regardless of what some have said, you can't miss a team event (unless it's a practice) for something like this. They might as well either accept the 2nd or 3rd tier if they keep Saturday.

Comment

How bad do you want to be a part of ODP?

Purposeful scheduling...

Comment

ODP used to mean something years ago when teams practiced one or two times a week and the difference in playing ability on teams was pretty large. Big difference now, as teams regularly practice 3 or 4 times a week and competition within on most higher level teams is pretty tight. To miss a tournament for a tryout for something you will practice once a month is kind of ridiculous.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X