Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yeah like I thought, you didn't learn much. Maybe in another 40, you can do better.
    I'm neither the brightest, nor the dullest, person in any room I'm in. I'm comfortable with that approach.

Comment

How much time does your coach/trainer spend between running drills and giving verbal lessons? My son is now in U14 and it seems like 60% of the time in training is downtime (either the coach is speaking to them or they have water breaks). For example, in 1.5 hours training, only about 30 minutes of actual physical training is being done. The coach would spend about 10 minutes setting up and explaining the drill and then the boys would run it for about 2-3 minutes. He would then stop the drill and spend about 5 minutes explaining what he expects to see and run it for another 5 minutes. Then he stops the drill, gives them a water break, and sets up for the next drill (which takes another 10 minutes). I feel this is just too much downtime.
      Let me guess. You are describing the ODP program.

Comment

Let me guess. You are describing the ODP program.
        No, it's just a travel club team. Is the ODP program bad?

Comment

No I think it's a fair question. The better coaches/trainers will come to practice with a detailed plan and transition quickly from one drill to the next. Some of the drills they already know so there shouldn't be down time on every single drill and there should be a progression in difficulty that gets you to the final drill. The sense of urgency in training will translate to the game. It depends on how serious you are about soccer.
          Depends. You are describing training, which is very important. But so is coaching, which can include more talking and less actual training. For the younger ages, training is probably more important as focus should be more about building technical skills. But once you get to U14/15, more coaching around gameplan and strategy/tactics becomes more important.

Comment

No, it's just a travel club team. Is the ODP program bad?
            Correct too much down time and over explaining not a good thing....but honestly I’ve seen that at all levels not just travel town teams...there are plenty of academy level coaches that do the same exact thing.

Comment

Correct too much down time and over explaining not a good thing....but honestly I’ve seen that at all levels not just travel town teams...there are plenty of academy level coaches that do the same exact thing.
              Thank you. I know different coaches have different approaches so I'll have to see how my son feels and his development.

Comment

It sounds like way too much down time. Verbal instruction has its place but training should consist of more physical training with lots of touches on the ball. Soccer practice should also include conditioning (which may be accomplished simultaneously during intense drills and games). The coach should be open to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your son's training. If your son feels like he needs more physical activity than what he is getting on the practice field you may want to look for another coach. You will notice there is a huge difference between the different intensity levels between various coaches.

Comment

It sounds like way too much down time. Verbal instruction has its place but training should consist of more physical training with lots of touches on the ball. Soccer practice should also include conditioning (which may be accomplished simultaneously during intense drills and games). The coach should be open to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your son's training. If your son feels like he needs more physical activity than what he is getting on the practice field you may want to look for another coach. You will notice there is a huge difference between the different intensity levels between various coaches.
                  I was under the opinion it was a bit too much downtown too but I wanted to wait a little before speaking with the coach to see how it progresses. I feel he's trying to cater to the players that need more help with development. Thank you for your suggestion.

Comment

What rate are you paying?

What is the cost?!

Comment

https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.c...ch_toolkit.pdf

Seems like a poorly planned session and probably an under-managed/developed/supervised coach. As a player do you show up to practice to be spoken to or to play? Design a session with a topic and work that topic. The players will remember a topic and specific direction given to them or that resonates with them in the context of playing, but they won’t remember 30-60 minutes of lecturing. Then do the math over the course of the season; lectures forgotten, time wasted and conceptual scaffolding opportunities lost.

From the link:
                      Communication is...

• Ongoing
                      • Intheflow(sidelinecoaching)
                      • Plannedstoppage(break)
                      • Naturalstoppage(balloutofbounds)
                      • Inthesituation(freeze)

Comment

Is constant small side scrimmaging a good thing? For each 1.5 hour practice, the coach may run one drill for about 15-20 minutes. He then runs a small side scrimmage for the rest of the time. This is 3x a week. On some days, he just runs a small side scrimmage from start to finish. I think this is way too much and is lazy coaching/training. There are times where he has the kids scrimmage and he's off for about 15 minutes on his phone, talking to other coaches, or packing up his equipment. He claims it's a process but the team hasn't won a game (5 games into the season), is normally blown out by an average of 4 goals, scored 2 goals in the 5 games, and there are no clear signs of improvement.

Comment

Is constant small side scrimmaging a good thing? For each 1.5 hour practice, the coach may run one drill for about 15-20 minutes. He then runs a small side scrimmage for the rest of the time. This is 3x a week. On some days, he just runs a small side scrimmage from start to finish. I think this is way too much and is lazy coaching/training. There are times where he has the kids scrimmage and he's off for about 15 minutes on his phone, talking to other coaches, or packing up his equipment. He claims it's a process but the team hasn't won a game (5 games into the season), is normally blown out by an average of 4 goals, scored 2 goals in the 5 games, and there are no clear signs of improvement.
                          What age group? Younger ages should be focusing more on 1v1, 1v2, foot skills, ball control, passing...basically how to be a good player moving into more soccer IQ related things like positioning and tactics.

Comment

What age group? Younger ages should be focusing more on 1v1, 1v2, foot skills, ball control, passing...basically how to be a good player moving into more soccer IQ related things like positioning and tactics.
                            U14 group. The thing is that half the team have difficulty with the technical skills (passing to feet at distances of just 5 yards, most can't settle a ball quickly or at all, possess the ball). I would think the coach would try to work on these skills.

Comment

Has anyone properly vette this coach/trainer? What license does he have? How long has he been a trainer? What’s his qualifications? Experience? Have you spoken to former players? All fair questions. The vast majority have no. Lue the licensing, history and credentials for theses coaches/trainers.

Comment

U14 group. The thing is that half the team have difficulty with the technical skills (passing to feet at distances of just 5 yards, most can't settle a ball quickly or at all, possess the ball). I would think the coach would try to work on these skills.
                                Sounds like the same issues on my kids U14 team too. Most kids can't receive a pass even if it is at less than 5 yards away, the pass will literally ricochet off the receiver's shin and bounce 10 yards in a random direction like an out of control superball, no clue what a simple give and go is, at times the wingers dribble the ball straight into the keeper's hands on breakaways because they have not mastered the art of taking a shot while dribbling the ball, no use of left foot and kids play on the left side of the field nonexistent because 90% of them cannot kick with the left foot, and lack numerous other basic skills that should have been mastered by U12 a full year before getting into full-sided play. In addition, complete lack of any understanding of how to play in the last 1/3 of the field, with very few goals scored at all and 95% of the goals scored on breakaway or free kicks or just freak luck. They played 2 tournaments this summer, two tournaments this fall, a few preseason scrimmages, 5 league games and did not score an earned goal by connecting passes and penetrating and passing through the 18 yard line through true attacking play until this past sunday. in this teams situation I would not blame the coach because the coach inherited this team in the summer and has a lot of work on his hands.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X