Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Pretty much the entire roster of 24 girls on the CFC United ECNL 2002 roster made All State.
    Half of the 2003, 2004 ECNL rosters made All State. The LL All State team is dominated by CFC United ECNL girls. Branches and Composite teams are not represented well
    They are not represented at all.

Representation is based on school affiliation and high school soccer performance.

Comment

The Logical Voice

It is easy. Settle it on the field.

You'll have to do better than that, Sparky.

How will you "settle it on the field" to identify and select the most deserving players?

Give us a real solution instead of hype.

Comment

Very interested to know how these are selected. Obviously these kids all got all conference. Then what happens? Are they the top vote getters from their conference (if so, how many votes did they need?) or is a totally different vote with different voters?
        Each conference submits their list of All-Conference players to the All-State selection committee, with players ranked by order of selection at the conference level.

The All-State Committee, made up of coaches from all the conferences, sits down and discusses the players and selects the All-State team from the conference lists.

There is set criteria given to the selection committee that they use in making the consideration and selection. I know several of the people who sit in that room and on those committees and I assure you that they work together to be fair and accurate in their selections, based on the knowledge they have about each player and the advocacy provided by their league representative sitting on those committees.

Comment

this is how it works. No coach knows all kids on this list. It is a quid pro quo. Coach A calls Coach B and says you vote for my kid and I will vote for your kid. Happens in all High School Sports.

St J's must owe a lot of votes going the other way.

This is simply not true.

Comment

Unfortunately yes it is part of the way it happens. Real first hand knowledge. More truth here than the entire impeachment inquire.

Comment

Unfortunately yes it is part of the way it happens. Real first hand knowledge. More truth here than the entire impeachment inquire.
              It does happen, but at the conference level. these coaches all know each other and have all seen the kids.It also is not done at the top of the ticket but at the bottom-.So it doesn't apply to All State as the rankings carry forward.
              Coaches also get hammered if they push an obviously undeserving candidate or if they sandbag a deserving candidate to prop up their own kid. the discussions are real and sometimes resembles the British House of Parliament, during the ranking phase, but again thats a bottom of the ticket argument, the top 5-6 players are usually unanimous

Comment

It does happen, but at the conference level. these coaches all know each other and have all seen the kids.It also is not done at the top of the ticket but at the bottom-.So it doesn't apply to All State as the rankings carry forward.
                Coaches also get hammered if they push an obviously undeserving candidate or if they sandbag a deserving candidate to prop up their own kid. the discussions are real and sometimes resembles the British House of Parliament, during the ranking phase, but again thats a bottom of the ticket argument, the top 5-6 players are usually unanimous
                Even at the All Conference level it’s kind of a joke if you really think about it. Coaches see most of the players in their league only ONE time (some players twice if they happen to meet in league playoffs) throughout the entire course of the season (in leagues like FCIAC and SWC). So they’re developing opinions and rankings based on one 80 min (or potentially less) performance? In some conferences like the SCC with their odd scheduling system, they don’t even see many players at all! The CCC has 32 teams for the love of God. How on Earth is all league handled for them?

It’s obviously a political system but what else can you do. Most players are deserving I suppose, but it’s really a crapshoot for the bottom half of the list isn’t it? Lots of kids that are equally deserving.

Disclaimer: my kid made all conference.

Comment

How about a kid who gets overlooked cuz she is new on the scene but scores 26 goals and had 19 assists? How do you not reward that?

Comment

They are not represented at all.

Representation is based on school affiliation and high school soccer performance.
                    17 players from their 2002 ECNL team alone are on the All State list. I think they are represented well

Comment

How about a kid who gets overlooked cuz she is new on the scene but scores 26 goals and had 19 assists? How do you not reward that?
                      What conference and how did her team do?

Comment

Not sure of the conference. Its a friend's kid from different town...it is prep school. I know they made it to the quarter finals in their tournament. Apparently the school isn't known as a "soccer school." But, should that matter? It just seems kinda ****ty.

Comment

17 players from their 2002 ECNL team alone are on the All State list. I think they are represented well
                          That’s not what was being discussed, someone was talking about branch teams lack of representation, try to keep up.

Comment

Not sure of the conference. Its a friend's kid from different town...it is prep school. I know they made it to the quarter finals in their tournament. Apparently the school isn't known as a "soccer school." But, should that matter? It just seems kinda ****ty.
                            Ok so what school?

Comment

Even at the All Conference level it’s kind of a joke if you really think about it. Coaches see most of the players in their league only ONE time (some players twice if they happen to meet in league playoffs) throughout the entire course of the season (in leagues like FCIAC and SWC). So they’re developing opinions and rankings based on one 80 min (or potentially less) performance? In some conferences like the SCC with their odd scheduling system, they don’t even see many players at all! The CCC has 32 teams for the love of God. How on Earth is all league handled for them?

It’s obviously a political system but what else can you do. Most players are deserving I suppose, but it’s really a crapshoot for the bottom half of the list isn’t it? Lots of kids that are equally deserving.

Disclaimer: my kid made all conference.
                              You bring up some pretty good points actually. All CCC still hasn’t even published their all conference list. I guess with 32 teams it takes a few months to determine...

Comment

She plays at Ethel Walker. First year to the school as a junior. I guess they are not known as a soccer school and the school isn't very big putting them in a lower division. I don't know the prep school scene that well but I do know that some prep schools are more known as soccer school. porters, promfet, taft etc. Should that matter? Someone scores that many goals and assists but "has never really been heard of before" really shouldn't matter if All State is supposed to be from year to year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X