RDS NY Red Bulls TRYOUT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only have 1 year of data - last year for the 2007s that are now u12 academy, i'd guess 5-8 but not sure. what you have to realize is now that USSF has taken away u12 academy and likely eliminates u13 next year, you are trying to asses how many of next year's 2009 and 2010 RDS TEAM kids make academy, what 3 years from now. even my kids u14 academy at a nonMLS DA team only has 3 or 4 kids remaining from u11 team. thats the nature of it - there is a big funnel u9 to u14. try and focus on 1 year. I'd still put up RDS regional team against your NJ alternatives - Cedar Stars, PDA, TSF, WC?

Comment

why do you think they'll get rid of u13 academy?

Comment

widely discussed rumor. it used to be only u14 and up and seems like they want to reinstate that. apparently u13 survived this year by close vote only

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          widely discussed rumor. it used to be only u14 and up and seems like they want to reinstate that. apparently u13 survived this year by close vote only
          It will probably be gone next year, but they may split the boys U16/17 teams into two like they're doing for the girls this year (no net change for club finances

Comment

but don't you think its gotten too late for the u16/17 split to be for next year? teams forming already. i assume the following year maybe....

Comment

I think in the case of U13 going away and U16/17 split that "next year" means voted this Fall and implemented for 20/21 season (which because of the wrap-around nature of soccer is actually next year even though it's season after next).

Comment

my kid made it

my kid made the pre academy team but we aren't sure we can do it due to the commute (Manhattan to Freeport). anyone from the city have experience playing on one of these teams before? how did you manage rush hour? are there usually carpools?

Comment

my kid made the pre academy team but we aren't sure we can do it due to the commute (Manhattan to Freeport). anyone from the city have experience playing on one of these teams before? how did you manage rush hour? are there usually carpools?
                  How old is your player? If he's young I would wait, especially for pre academy. Even if you can sort out a carpool it's so much time in the car or you send them on public transportation, which some families do. Find a good club closer to home. Do the longer drive for an older player on the full DA team.

Comment

yes that is what we were thinking as he is still only 9. if we keep him in the city, what are the best options in and around Manhattan? does it even matter at this age?

Comment

yes that is what we were thinking as he is still only 9. if we keep him in the city, what are the best options in and around Manhattan? does it even matter at this age?
                      Not really. Find something close to home with an engaged coach at a decent club. Take him to the park a lot for free play/pickup soccer

Comment

What do you think of Red bulls RDS training programs? Besides the training element, does it really expose a kid to potential academy tryout down the road?
                        The training is great. And if your kid is talented enough to be deserving, it will certainly lead to an academy tryout. But if your kid is not, then no. As has been mentioned, RDS seems to be politic-free, so "exposure" and them "knowing your kid" will only get your kid so far. The rest of it needs to be earned.

Comment

The training is great. And if your kid is talented enough to be deserving, it will certainly lead to an academy tryout. But if your kid is not, then no. As has been mentioned, RDS seems to be politic-free, so "exposure" and them "knowing your kid" will only get your kid so far. The rest of it needs to be earned.
                          True. Don't go in expecting it to lead to anything. It is very good training so look at it as just that. If it leads to something more, bonus

Comment

Check out manhattan kickers or dusc

Comment

My kid played for rds regional team last year. The training, professionalism, and teammate caliber will be significantly higher than DUSC and somewhat higher than MSC. Depending on which part of Manhattan you live in, playing for their NJ team may be slightly better logistically, though they may be offering you only the LI option. Separately, NY STars Premier on Randalls Island may also be worth checking out if you are uptown.

Comment

Ya my son really enjoyed the tryouts and competition. I really wish we lived closer! Both the NJ locations and the LI location are really difficult for us traffic-wise.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X