Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'll tell my son that as he is talking to a top DI program locally that first saw him at a similar showcase in CT almost tow years ago.

It will work for some and not for others
    I asked about this on the prep school thread -- would there be any downside to a (boy) freshman attending a showcase?

I know he won't be recruited, but the upside would be to get him used to it and as another poster said, potentially get on coaches radar screens. He's the only freshman on his prep varsity team (strong program) and he starts and plays all game in a key position. He's 14 playing with 16, 17 and 18 year olds.

Comment

I can't see there being a downside. I mean, it's just money and time. If you have enough of both available, an opportunity to talk to a range of coaches couldn't hurt.

Comment

I asked about this on the prep school thread -- would there be any downside to a (boy) freshman attending a showcase?

I know he won't be recruited, but the upside would be to get him used to it and as another poster said, potentially get on coaches radar screens. He's the only freshman on his prep varsity team (strong program) and he starts and plays all game in a key position. He's 14 playing with 16, 17 and 18 year olds.
        Generally there's no harm and it's always good to see where you fit before you go into recruiting. The only hesitancy with doing it so young is if there are schools there he's interested in and he does poorly he won't recover from that impression. But if there's no schools there go for it. $100-$200 to get a pre-read is money well spent, plus he will feel more comfortable for when he goes for the real deal.

Comment

Of course. But, for that OP, that's the avenue. Basically, your position is any avenue would be discredited because "my club does this". You don't have to attend if you don't want to.

Some people just want to whine. Must be a real joy in the neighborhood.

I know some who attended previously and it helped this with getting questions answered. Sure, there are answers out there, but if you don't know where to turn this is helpful. Why are your panties in a knot over it?
          That's not my position at all. Taking a kid through the recruiting process is hard work and emotionally taxing on the whole family. This event is nothing but a fake beauty contest put on for the sole benefit of the promoter. The harm dinky little showcases like this cause is they do nothing except ramp up false expectations and lead naïve families down blind alley's that they might not know enough how to return from. Seen it way too many times. A far better usage of a family's time and money would be sending their player to individual college ID events at school that would appear to be a decent match athletically and academically. That at least is a proactive approach instead of sitting back praying for miracles.

Comment

That's not my position at all. Taking a kid through the recruiting process is hard work and emotionally taxing on the whole family. This event is nothing but a fake beauty contest put on for the sole benefit of the promoter. The harm dinky little showcases like this cause is they do nothing except ramp up false expectations and lead naïve families down blind alley's that they might not know enough how to return from. Seen it way too many times. A far better usage of a family's time and money would be sending their player to individual college ID events at school that would appear to be a decent match athletically and academically. That at least is a proactive approach instead of sitting back praying for miracles.
            No one said players don't follow up with things like college specific id events after. It's true they will rarely be recruited from just this one specific event. Many have said that as a kind of pre-read, or to get the process going, (for some) these things aren't a bad idea. If you catch a coach's eye here he will probably pay more attention to you once you're on campus. Establishing communication with a coach (es) is never a bad idea.

Comment

"seen it many times" OK Obi Wan....

Or, someone is in a position to drop a couple bills and get that exposure first with a few programs, they lay of they land, how they operate...THEN go to your specific ID events.

Again...what's it hurting? Don't want to go...too good to go? Don't. Problem solved.

Comment

"seen it many times" OK Obi Wan....

Or, someone is in a position to drop a couple bills and get that exposure first with a few programs, they lay of they land, how they operate...THEN go to your specific ID events.

Again...what's it hurting? Don't want to go...too good to go? Don't. Problem solved.
                I posted earlier and totally agree. A few dollars to learn something and hopefully better target your search. How is that a bad thing? Plus, going to on campus Id events and camps costs money. If you can target better you're less likely to go to ones that aren't appropriate. Not sure why this poster has a bug up his azz about it.

Comment

On the topic of College Showcases and reminder to DOCs - Remind your coaches (especially the parent coaches) that ALL players deserve to be showcased. There are players beside the coaches kid, their friends, or players not on their HS team that college coaches want to see play. It's simple, all players should have the opportunity to start a game or a half and should get good playing time.

Comment

On the topic of College Showcases and reminder to DOCs - Remind your coaches (especially the parent coaches) that ALL players deserve to be showcased. There are players beside the coaches kid, their friends, or players not on their HS team that college coaches want to see play. It's simple, all players should have the opportunity to start a game or a half and should get good playing time.
                    Uh oh. Someone's not happy with their kid's coach. I agree it's a scum move but some coaches inly think about themselves or a few players they are more vested in.

Comment

My view is a bunch of college coaches interested in watching a group of 60 kids for 3 hours should help the process. Not saying he gets a DI full ride but have to start somewhere!

Comment

For those interested, here is the finalized list of coaches for our indoor boys showcase. I think we have a great lineup and plan a 4:1 player/coach ratio. Check out our site at elitecollegecombine.com

- University of Vermont
                        - University of New Hampshire
                        - Boston College
                        - Southern New Hampshire University
                        - Holy Cross
                        - Maine Maritime
                        - WPI
                        - Emerson College
                        - Regis College
                        - Saint Joseph's
                        - Franklin Pierce
                        - Assumption
                        - Bates
                        - New England College

What Boston College coach will be there?

Comment

What Boston College coach will be there?
                          None. BC holds it's own ID camp January 6 & 7 at Boston College's bubble.

Comment

It was going to be assistant PW, but his wife is due on the event day so BC is not attending. We are updating the website this weekend.

Comment

It was going to be assistant PW, but his wife is due on the event day so BC is not attending. We are updating the website this weekend.
                              That is very unprofessional of those running the event and BC. What kind of flimsy agreement do you have with these schools that they can't be bothered to send someone else after allowing you to use their name to build up the event? Parents and players are giving up serious time and money to come. Obviously BC was a very big part of the draw.

Again, very unprofessional. You should not be in this business if this is an example of how you operate.

Comment

Rumor has it some FC Stars DA players played in the GPS Showcase today on a non DA Stars team. If this were the case, everyone knows this is clearly a violation of DA rules. Anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X