Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    As the OP, I wasn't trying to encourage ECNL bashing, and I have no connection to Stars or NEFC or the Breakers, outside of having a few acquaintances that work for each. I don't have a child that plays for, or against any club involved in the discussion, or not involved in the discussion. I was strictly trying to start a discussion in regards to if the ECNL still has a place in the youth soccer landscape under its current structure, and if it's success has created its own demise, by raising the bar for all the non-ECNL clubs. I was also wanted to hear the thoughts and ideas for how the ECNL will/should change to strengthen its position as the best of the best, and specifically do they continue to shut out the clubs who have risen to the level of elite, and are consistently producing elite level talent even though they're not competing in the ECNL. That's all! IF you knew me you would know I really don't care about the BS. I care about the game of soccer and its growth in the US. The situation the ECNL is in is a unique one. They've raised the level of the game, and the standard of which all clubs are judged now, and because of that the competition to keep up has produced more clubs able to be recognized as elite. They've had to do so all while being shut out of the top league in the country. My belief is they need to expand their membership, and create a system that can learn from others inventiveness and develop a model for clubs so that all players will have access to the knowledge and opportunities to maximize their potential, and grow the game even more, and ultimately produce players under an American model. I think we're closer than ever, and was wondering if others felt the same, and why or why not. That is it! I actually wish that Stars,NEFC, GPS, Breakers, and a couple others will get together and work torward this, without putting the money first, and put the game and players development ahead of everything. Sorry if it doesn't fit in to your agenda, but mine is simple. Grow the game the right way, and learn from each other to do so.
    Nice try. You're not affiliated with any of the teams/clubs but yet you are passionately interested in this specific topic right in the middle of raging attacks and you raise all of the hot button TS issues, and with a clear slant. Try again.

Comment

Not to mention how you chose to title your new little thread, and as we get into the second page the agendas start becoming oh so clear.

Comment

Perspective, next time take a deep breath, wait a minute until you've given birth to that additional thought, and then post once. Would probably cut the number of posts on TS in half. Thanks.

Comment

Nice try. You're not affiliated with any of the teams/clubs but yet you are passionately interested in this specific topic right in the middle of raging attacks and you raise all of the hot button TS issues, and with a clear slant. Try again.
          I stated my position clearly, I thought! I've been involved in the game on both the men's and women's side for 15+ years, and my intentions have always been the same. Growing the game the right way, and to put the game and players before all else. I have worked for a couple clubs mentioned, but no longer do for a whole bunch of reasons. There my reasons and those reasons just happen to intersect with the conversation topic that I started. I'm sorry if it's ruffled your feathers by asking, but I would much rather hear your take, than your trying to decipher any kind of club affiliation or the hidden agenda behind it. There isn't any! Not all are on here for nefarious reasons. Again, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comment

I stated my position clearly, I thought! I've been involved in the game on both the men's and women's side for 15+ years, and my intentions have always been the same. Growing the game the right way, and to put the game and players before all else. I have worked for a couple clubs mentioned, but no longer do for a whole bunch of reasons. There my reasons and those reasons just happen to intersect with the conversation topic that I started. I'm sorry if it's ruffled your feathers by asking, but I would much rather hear your take, than your trying to decipher any kind of club affiliation or the hidden agenda behind it. There isn't any! Not all are on here for nefarious reasons. Again, I would love to hear your thoughts.
            Nope, not buying your neutral but passionate interest in the "landscape" and the "demise" of any league. Hope that doesn't "ruffle your feathers."

Comment

Over the past couple of years we've been bombarded with pro ECNL posts,

Why is this your first sentence and how do you know this?

and more recently with the need for alternative parallel routes to the promised

Hmmmmm.....

land of D1/2 scholarship money.

And you were at Jefferson Cup just spontaneously huddled up a focus group of coaches (who would never engage like you said), WHY?

. There was a couple top 100 D1, a top 25 D2, and a few local to Virginia D3 coaches involved in this discussion. They all agreed that ECNL is great because you're gaurenteed to see quality players that are able to play at any level, and has made the recruiting more efficient. They are able to keep tabs on the players a lot easier, and can trust that the players are being exposed to the right training to prepare them for the rigors of a D1/2 year. They also agreed that the coach who is relying on the ECNL only, is going o find themselves in trouble sooner rather than later, and that they have seen a rise in the performances of other non ECNL clubs that operate near/in the same space as the ECNL clubs do.

Hmmmmmmm............

A rising tide raises all boats reaction to the ECNL, has improved the club landscape more than anything else has over the last 20 years. My question is, has the ECNL lost its advantage by forcing other clubs to change in order to compete? If so, would it make sense for the ECNL to expand the number of clubs, and create a tiered system? Will the ECNL still exist as we know it now in 5 years, if they do not recognize they now have clubs doing a better or as good a job developing top talent?

Well, now, wasn't that an interesting question to end your OP on?
              Well???

Comment

Nope, not buying your neutral but passionate interest in the "landscape" and the "demise" of any league. Hope that doesn't "ruffle your feathers."
                Why won't he at least come up with a new bag of buzzwords and cliches?

Comment

Seriously?! Who cares. Its youth sports. No one is going to make a living playing women's soccer.

Comment

Don't know what to tell you, and I don't know if you think I'm sort of plant for the clubs, one of the 2 main instigators on this board, of someone who is idealistic? Again, my purpose is and was still to read the opinion of others in regards to what is next for the Elite clubs and teams, and in what direction will they go. Will it be on the back of ECNL or an alignment of it with another league, or will they expand and bring in other clubs that have become elite and not yet under the ECNL banner. I also would like to hear others thoughts on whether or not it was the intention of these clubs to rise the level of competing clubs or was it an unintentional plus for the soccer community. I personally think we are in a place that wasn't imagined in the beginning by the ECNL set. They can either bury their head and try to ignore it and remain a private club, or they can use it and really develop the game even further in this country. I don't know if the rumors of a DAP on the girls side is because others see the opportunity, or is a coincidence, but it is going to force the hand of the ECNL. I personally think it would be wise to explore a way to elevate other clubs into ECNL through the meeting of standards and results in other leagues. Imagine that, the U.S. actually defining a model to create a standard for American soccer, and creating the American Way, and how ironic would it be that it comes from the women's side. That's all my end game is, just honest debate. I personally have friendly relationships with the CH, GPS brothers. I also am a fan of what JD has done at Stars and what LB is doing at the Breakers. I am also a Fan of the smaller clubs who have stood the test of time, and respect their ability to stay relevent, and seek change to better their clubs like LL(father) of SSS, and TD/BJ of CSU. I've recruited players from all these clubs and because of that try to be neutral in my support, and make no excuses for how I go about my own way in the soccer world. I hope all succeed, because that means they are producing better players, and that ultimately grows the game in the US, and for me that has been what I support, and have dedicated my time and energies toward. I also think that because of the path I've chosen, I get to see what every club does well and does poorly. Just like my thoughts on ECNL and the other leagues, these clubs could benefit from the sharing of information on methods of organization and development from age 5-25. That's it, and to be honest I've spent way to much time today having to explain why I started this post. If you don't like it, or think it's to spread some kind of anti anything propaganda, I won't be able to change your mind. You will see shadows at every turn, and that is not why I come on here.

Comment

Don't know what to tell you, and I don't know if you think I'm sort of plant for the clubs, one of the 2 main instigators on this board, of someone who is idealistic? Again, my purpose is and was still to read the opinion of others in regards to what is next for the Elite clubs and teams, and in what direction will they go. Will it be on the back of ECNL or an alignment of it with another league, or will they expand and bring in other clubs that have become elite and not yet under the ECNL banner. I also would like to hear others thoughts on whether or not it was the intention of these clubs to rise the level of competing clubs or was it an unintentional plus for the soccer community. I personally think we are in a place that wasn't imagined in the beginning by the ECNL set. They can either bury their head and try to ignore it and remain a private club, or they can use it and really develop the game even further in this country. I don't know if the rumors of a DAP on the girls side is because others see the opportunity, or is a coincidence, but it is going to force the hand of the ECNL. I personally think it would be wise to explore a way to elevate other clubs into ECNL through the meeting of standards and results in other leagues. Imagine that, the U.S. actually defining a model to create a standard for American soccer, and creating the American Way, and how ironic would it be that it comes from the women's side. That's all my end game is, just honest debate. I personally have friendly relationships with the CH, GPS brothers. I also am a fan of what JD has done at Stars and what LB is doing at the Breakers. I am also a Fan of the smaller clubs who have stood the test of time, and respect their ability to stay relevent, and seek change to better their clubs like LL(father) of SSS, and TD/BJ of CSU. I've recruited players from all these clubs and because of that try to be neutral in my support, and make no excuses for how I go about my own way in the soccer world. I hope all succeed, because that means they are producing better players, and that ultimately grows the game in the US, and for me that has been what I support, and have dedicated my time and energies toward. I also think that because of the path I've chosen, I get to see what every club does well and does poorly. Just like my thoughts on ECNL and the other leagues, these clubs could benefit from the sharing of information on methods of organization and development from age 5-25. That's it, and to be honest I've spent way to much time today having to explain why I started this post. If you don't like it, or think it's to spread some kind of anti anything propaganda, I won't be able to change your mind. You will see shadows at every turn, and that is not why I come on here.
                      Thanks, BTNT. I won't even bother to point out the 20+ ways your post above is totally transparent. This is really said when you think about it. Never thought it could be this bad.

Comment

Not the OP but there's no pro career on the women's side. Even for the "elite" 99.9% will play through college and that's all. DAP may be selling a pro-career myth but it works, and for many it's free or greatly reduced. Who will pay/subsidize for the women's side?
                        Who pays for and subsidizes the boys DAP?

Comment

The title of this thread says it all. Notice that he did not name it "what will ECNL look like in 5 years?" Or "will ECNL continue to expand?" Nice timing, too. It's good to get this thread rolling so that it's up to 100+ pages by the time tryouts are coming up. Can't have any of those top NEFC kids casting a wandering eye toward an ECNL spot...

Comment

Funny how some seem so afraid to have conversations. Could it be that they themselves have already come to the conclusion that the ECNL's future is on shaky ground and they are terrified that the notion might gain traction here.

A couple of observations:

Any who thinks that a girls DAP won't have an impact are dreaming. First off there is actually a pro level on the women's side and while some obviously don't respect it, there are plenty of players that do aspire to that level. If US Soccer builds it you can bet the elite players will gravitate to it if for no other reason that to escape the mediocrity they all see around them.

For what it is worth, I personally think that the ECNL sowed the seeds of its own demise when they pulled out of the state cups. Prior to that clubs like the Stars and Scorpions basically had a lock on the regionals and absolute control of the state. That decision opened Pandora's Box and allowed other clubs an opportunity for the first time to show what they were capable of doing. Also USCS didn't do the ECNL any favors by creating the NPL as a direct competitor to the ECNL and notice that hasn't exactly set the record straight on which league was the top league.

By the way, I'm sure that I will be called a liar and all sorts of names for writing this but I am not the OP and I haven't authored any of the posts others are clearly attributing to me.

--BTDT

Comment

BTW.. Go Duke

Comment

Funny how some seem so afraid to have conversations. Could it be that they themselves have already come to the conclusion that the ECNL's future is on shaky ground and they are terrified that the notion might gain traction here.

A couple of observations:

Any who thinks that a girls DAP won't have an impact are dreaming. First off there is actually a pro level on the women's side and while some obviously don't respect it, there are plenty of players that do aspire to that level. If US Soccer builds it you can bet the elite players will gravitate to it if for no other reason that to escape the mediocrity they all see around them.

For what it is worth, I personally think that the ECNL sowed the seeds of its own demise when they pulled out of the state cups. Prior to that clubs like the Stars and Scorpions basically had a lock on the regionals and absolute control of the state. That decision opened Pandora's Box and allowed other clubs an opportunity for the first time to show what they were capable of doing. Also USCS didn't do the ECNL any favors by creating the NPL as a direct competitor to the ECNL and notice that hasn't exactly set the record straight on which league was the top league.

By the way, I'm sure that I will be called a liar and all sorts of names for writing this but I am not the OP and I haven't authored any of the posts others are clearly attributing to me.

--BTDT
                                Too, too funny. Look who just happens to pop in after midnight in the middle of questions about a very provocative OP, and then dives right into talk about "demise" and where the ECNL teams made fatal decisions, blah, blah, blah. Don't even be distracted by denials or even by whether he is the OP or not. More importantly, he often is and he clearly continues to monitor the site looking for even the tiniest sparks that need to be tamped out. Unreal. And no one can overlook his typical construction in the first 2 sentences of his post....everyone and anyone affiliated with the rivals are afraid and that is proof that is proof that their ships are sinking. Does it all the time. Express a wild assumption as a fact as your starting point, and then cite that "fact" as rock-solid proof of something.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X