Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please tell me this is a parody or I'm making my kid pull her application. What a joke. Once it's on the internet you can never get it back. The student athletes who participated in this hot mess will be associated with it forever. Our femi-nazi overlords in academia have gone too far with this.
    Really? What other school campuses have you been on lately? This stuff is everywhere, especially "No means NO" messages to address the issue sexual assaults on campus. And I'm not talking places like UC Berkeley but all different kinds of schools and even in our own backyard. I have no issue with a campaign trying to make people at least more aware of the power words can have. It may not seem relevant to you but it probably is to your child and her peers. Some universities want to not only produce good students/workers for the future but good human beings as well.

Comment

Really? What other school campuses have you been on lately? This stuff is everywhere, especially "No means NO" messages to address the issue sexual assaults on campus. And I'm not talking places like UC Berkeley but all different kinds of schools and even in our own backyard. I have no issue with a campaign trying to make people at least more aware of the power words can have. It may not seem relevant to you but it probably is to your child and her peers. Some universities want to not only produce good students/workers for the future but good human beings as well.
      It doesn't matter, don't give any effort into trying to convince these bigots. Slowly, the system in America is changing and people are becoming more accepting. A new generation will learn to accept people of different sexual orientation, people of different races and people of different cultures. It's been a fairly new movement and it's certainly working.

Comment

Harvard, Duke, Princeton, UCLA, Stanford are all seeing this and giving more opportunities to people who aren't White. Blacks have been fighting the system for a long time now and they deserve a little hand from college admissions, it makes sense and it's totally fair.

I'm a white male and I believe it's the only way to truly make America a melting pot.
        Yes. Schools in California have given Asian minorities are huge boost. UCLA is almost 40% Asian-American and this definitely helps the Asian community in California. California seems to have a more progressive atmosphere about them too.

It's only a matter of time until schools in the Northeast become more filled with minorities. Colleges are starting to see the only way to reduce racism is to start with the educational system, college.

Comment

Harvard, Duke, Princeton, UCLA, Stanford are all seeing this and giving more opportunities to people who aren't White. Blacks have been fighting the system for a long time now and they deserve a little hand from college admissions, it makes sense and it's totally fair.

I'm a white male and I believe it's the only way to truly make America a melting pot.
          So the basic message is, please do not use certain words or treat us differently because we are all human and equal. But if I can gain an advantage over being different that is not only OK but the right thing to do. Seems like a double standard to me.

Comment

So the basic message is, please do not use certain words or treat us differently because we are all human and equal. But if I can gain an advantage over being different that is not only OK but the right thing to do. Seems like a double standard to me.
            No one is getting an advantage. Minorities are always fighting against the system.
            It's only balancing out the playing field.

I'll say it again, I'm white. We don't need anymore help.

Comment

.. and we see where it is leading our country. Perfect example of what things like opening up boarders lead to happened in France. All media campaigns like this Duke one do is result in anarchy because they are actually intended to split opinion, not join it. This sort of lunacy is exactly why we have people chaining themselves to cement blocks on the SE Expressway or shooting cops. We are intentionally being set against each other by the intellectuals who dream of things like new world orders and such utopian nonsense. You can bet when all hell breaks loose in the cities they'll be the first ones to run to some mountain cave out in the Berkshires. The solution is to learn to love our common bonds not create separate identities and warfare in between them.

Comment

.. and we see where it is leading our country. Perfect example of what things like opening up boarders lead to happened in France. All media campaigns like this Duke one do is result in anarchy because they are actually intended to split opinion, not join it. This sort of lunacy is exactly why we have people chaining themselves to cement blocks on the SE Expressway or shooting cops. We are intentionally being set against each other by the intellectuals who dream of things like new world orders and such utopian nonsense. You can bet when all hell breaks loose in the cities they'll be the first ones to run to some mountain cave out in the Berkshires. The solution is to learn to love our common bonds not create separate identities and warfare in between them.
                Because America was such a great country before Duke started this little campaign. LOL

I like America and I'm a proud American, but you can't tell me it's a perfect country.

Comment

It doesn't matter, don't give any effort into trying to convince these bigots. Slowly, the system in America is changing and people are becoming more accepting. A new generation will learn to accept people of different sexual orientation, people of different races and people of different cultures. It's been a fairly new movement and it's certainly working.
                  Which is why it needs to start early - no you're not likely to change bigoted adults who know no different and aren't likely to change. But a young mind at college is much more open to new ideas and experiences. If they see their peers being accepting they are much more likely to do so themselves. Change takes time but it is happening - each generation is getting better and better. Just look at all the societal changes we've seen since we were kids?

Comment

Because America was such a great country before Duke started this little campaign. LOL

I like America and I'm a proud American, but you can't tell me it's a perfect country.
                    Another self hating American. So predictable.

Comment

Which is why it needs to start early - no you're not likely to change bigoted adults who know no different and aren't likely to change. But a young mind at college is much more open to new ideas and experiences. If they see their peers being accepting they are much more likely to do so themselves. Change takes time but it is happening - each generation is getting better and better. Just look at all the societal changes we've seen since we were kids?
                      Right. I'm a 19 year old at a NESCAC school. I'm also white with fairly affluent parents.
                      I must say, throughout highschool I didn't care for the minority population because, again, I lived in an area that wasn't racially diverse. But two years in college have changed my perspective. I've talked to students who haven't had the same opportunities as I have had throughout my youth. Yet, they have the initiative to be at the same place where I am today, a pretty good school in the eyes of most people.

This gave me a new view on everything. I'm not the one who needs more help in the college admissions process. It's students like the people I've met here, who worked 2 full-time jobs and also got a 3.75 GPA in high school that need the help from admissions officers.

I'm only 19 but if the older adult population can't see this, I'm sure the only way if for the next generation of kids to stand up for what they believe. I think most college kids in my area think the same way as I do. I am proud and I know what I believe is correct.

Comment

Another self hating American. So predictable.
                        It's one thing to hate America and another thing to understand it's not a perfect country. Our politics is corrupt and other countries ridicule us for everything we do. If a 19 year old can see this, why can't you?

You can still love your country and its people yet understand that it's in need of a change.

Comment

Right. I'm a 19 year old at a NESCAC school. I'm also white with fairly affluent parents.
                          I must say, throughout highschool I didn't care for the minority population because, again, I lived in an area that wasn't racially diverse. But two years in college have changed my perspective. I've talked to students who haven't had the same opportunities as I have had throughout my youth. Yet, they have the initiative to be at the same place where I am today, a pretty good school in the eyes of most people.

This gave me a new view on everything. I'm not the one who needs more help in the college admissions process. It's students like the people I've met here, who worked 2 full-time jobs and also got a 3.75 GPA in high school that need the help from admissions officers.

I'm only 19 but if the older adult population can't see this, I'm sure the only way if for the next generation of kids to stand up for what they believe. I think most college kids in my area think the same way as I do. I am proud and I know what I believe is correct.
                          What about the white kid who had the exact same upbringing as your racially diverse friend? Are we talking racial diversity or economic diversity? Of course you realize that those are not the same thing.

Comment

No its not a perfect country but all of this rhetoric is doing is dividing it into super angry groups that eventually are going to come to blows if we keep on this path. The bottom line is who cares what your race is or your sexual preference is if you are a nice PERSON? Can't anyone see that the idea that we should celebrate being nasty (what I have always thought a beatch to be) and a selfish person (what I have always thought of people who are overly invested in THEIR personal identity) is as much a part of problem as anything. Hate is the actual problem not uneasiness with differences. We all fear what we don't know or understand. That is a very different feeling than the sort of hate that fuels true racism or bigotry. If we all can't see that our country is being incited towards violence god help us.

Comment

What about the white kid who had the exact same upbringing as your racially diverse friend? Are we talking racial diversity or economic diversity? Of course you realize that those are not the same thing.
                              Understand that socio-economic status is very contingent and coherent with race. Yes there are white kids who have had the same exact upbringing and I'm not denying that but looking purely at numbers, there are much fewer "white kids" who have had the same upbringing as those of minority ethnicity. Furthermore, there are MANY resources and initiatives to help these "white kids" out in impoverished areas. I've done the research and I suggest for you to do the same.

Comment

It's one thing to hate America and another thing to understand it's not a perfect country. Our politics is corrupt and other countries ridicule us for everything we do. If a 19 year old can see this, why can't you?

You can still love your country and its people yet understand that it's in need of a change.
                                Are you the 19 year old? Where have you come to hold these opinions on our standing in the world? Where have you travelled?

Or are you simply regurgitating what your professors have told you? Or your friends? Or whatever media you pay attention to.

Do yourself a favor. Come up with some of your own ideas and thoughts, you seem like a smart kid.

P.S. No country in the world allows for more upward mobility than America. This is why so many people want to come here. If you work hard here you have the opportunity to do whatever you want. This cannot be said in many places. Fact.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X