Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls U9 League comparisons

There are a lot of opinions regarding different leagues, and understandably there is a bias based upon which you are currently involved. I was hoping, however, to hear feedback from actual experiences in different leagues.(just like any review, one should ignore the 5-star as well as the 0-star reviews as outliers and look for the bell curve)
    The background, my 8yo (BY 2009) has been playing soccer since birth (you know the type) and just finished the Spring Pawtucket league. The questions we have now, are where do we go from here?
    She's tried-out and was accepted by Bayside, but we're not sure she (or we) are really ready for that.
    (this is the Big Fish-Small Pond vs. Small Fish-Big Pond question we're wrestling with)
    At the U9 level, what feedback can you provide regarding
    - BaySide
    - Bruno
    - Global Premier
    - continue with local clubs (Pawtucket, Warwick...)
    - other leagues/suggestions?

There has always been considerable passions/"feistiness" here on the merits of one versus another league, but I would love to hear from anyone who has experience in a couple of different leagues and can provide different perspectives. Obviously, we understand the role of parents as well as the impact of varying coaches/styles. But what about
    - soccer/fun counter-balance
    - ability to do anything else
    - family "commitment" (the financial commitment is big enough)
    - where do they play (and travel to)?

The bottom line, I guess, is that she's 8 and loves soccer, but also basketball, her rock band, etc. We want to give her every opportunity, but don't want to burn her out. Give her real competition without frustrating her.

Feel free to contact mer directly if you would prefer to avoid the fiery-throwbacks that one can get with virtually any post on the forum.

Thanks - Mark
    markcweber@gmail.com

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are a lot of opinions regarding different leagues, and understandably there is a bias based upon which you are currently involved. I was hoping, however, to hear feedback from actual experiences in different leagues.(just like any review, one should ignore the 5-star as well as the 0-star reviews as outliers and look for the bell curve)
    The background, my 8yo (BY 2009) has been playing soccer since birth (you know the type) and just finished the Spring Pawtucket league. The questions we have now, are where do we go from here?
    She's tried-out and was accepted by Bayside, but we're not sure she (or we) are really ready for that.
    (this is the Big Fish-Small Pond vs. Small Fish-Big Pond question we're wrestling with)
    At the U9 level, what feedback can you provide regarding
    - BaySide
    - Bruno
    - Global Premier
    - continue with local clubs (Pawtucket, Warwick...)
    - other leagues/suggestions?

There has always been considerable passions/"feistiness" here on the merits of one versus another league, but I would love to hear from anyone who has experience in a couple of different leagues and can provide different perspectives. Obviously, we understand the role of parents as well as the impact of varying coaches/styles. But what about
    - soccer/fun counter-balance
    - ability to do anything else
    - family "commitment" (the financial commitment is big enough)
    - where do they play (and travel to)?

The bottom line, I guess, is that she's 8 and loves soccer, but also basketball, her rock band, etc. We want to give her every opportunity, but don't want to burn her out. Give her real competition without frustrating her.

Feel free to contact mer directly if you would prefer to avoid the fiery-throwbacks that one can get with virtually any post on the forum.

Thanks - Mark
    markcweber@gmail.com
    Looks like you already put some thoughts into this. If you are not ready for that type of commitment to say Bayside since she was offered a roster spot then premier is not the way to go. Regardless whether it is Bayside, Bruno, NEFC or GPS there are considerable travels involve to and from league play and tournaments.

Pawtucket is already a decent town program so why not just stick with it. Hopefully she is good enough to be on their top team. At that age there is little difference in the learning environment other than your preference. Also kids that play premier usually there because they are more committed to this beautiful game than some. As a coach my frustrations is the level of commitment from the players and parents. What is important is keep the game fun and enjoyable so they are engage in w fun and learning environment.

Comment

In my opinion, it is all about the skills being taught at this age. Does her coach have an idea of what he (or she) is doing. Are practices structured with a plan in place, teaching skills, etc. If you hit the jackpot in the Pawtucket league, stay another year. If she played spring rec, look into trying out for their Superliga team. If she is standing out after playing Superliga, then premier would be the next obvious choice. At this age, there isn't a rush for premier soccer. That comes at U11/U12.

If you think the coaching is poor, you could look into another town league as well.

Comment

I respectfully disagree

I have been coaching for one of the larger clubs for 7 years. I do not coach for Bayside so I have no interest in recruiting or steering. I have experienced players entering the club programs at U11 and U12 and just never catching up. Only the type of player who is self motivated and loves soccer am I referring to here. The kids who are athletic but miss skills at an early age just don't seem to catch up easily. I am not speaking in absolutes here as there are certainly many exceptions. If her parents love it more than she does, stay with town. If you believe making the first team is the only team, stay with town. There is a tendency to retain 1st team players on the first team etc. The reality is that most coaches in my experience (even though most will deny this) have a hard time dropping a player down. It involves hurt feeling, upset parents, calls, emails etc. If she makes a 2nd team be prepared for her to work to move up. At U10 there are a few slots that open up as they age up so that can help. Also at U12-U14 there is a lot of movement club to club or giving up to focus on another sport. Again opportunity to move up. If your child is offered a slot on a lower team do a head count. Are they just filling a roster slot? I have only once see a short roster team in which the coach said "no" to a player who clearly didn't belong. This is a business and sometimes a decision is financial. Again if the coach is strong that alone may not be a deal breaker. I have coached teams that had short rosters and won tournaments in the highest bracket. Go watch the coach run a session. Is he organized and engaging? Does he have coaching licensing and training? I have seen great coaches with little to no licensing. I do think however that professionals embrace education and take opportunity to learn. I don't agree with the strong program thought process 100%. To me a strong program is great but the coach is the deal maker or breaker. With town you get whoever volunteers go or bad. Above all go watch a game and stand amongst the parents. Are they a crazy bunch of yahoos or calm and positive? Often crazy parenting is a result of poor coaching. Either the coach is a nut or she failed to set the correct tone from the start. In my experience the stronger coaches have very little trouble with parents v the weaker coaches. Whatever you do look at a few clubs. Cultures can differ greatly and your daughter will get more out of one she is comfortable with.

Comment

Oops!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I have been coaching for one of the larger clubs for 7 years. I do not coach for Bayside so I have no interest in recruiting or steering. I have experienced players entering the club programs at U11 and U12 and just never catching up. Only the type of player who is self motivated and loves soccer am I referring to here. The kids who are athletic but miss skills at an early age just don't seem to catch up easily. I am not speaking in absolutes here as there are certainly many exceptions. If her parents love it more than she does, stay with town. If you believe making the first team is the only team, stay with town. There is a tendency to retain 1st team players on the first team etc. The reality is that most coaches in my experience (even though most will deny this) have a hard time dropping a player down. It involves hurt feeling, upset parents, calls, emails etc. If she makes a 2nd team be prepared for her to work to move up. At U10 there are a few slots that open up as they age up so that can help. Also at U12-U14 there is a lot of movement club to club or giving up to focus on another sport. Again opportunity to move up. If your child is offered a slot on a lower team do a head count. Are they just filling a roster slot? I have only once see a short roster team in which the coach said "no" to a player who clearly didn't belong. This is a business and sometimes a decision is financial. Again if the coach is strong that alone may not be a deal breaker. I have coached teams that had short rosters and won tournaments in the highest bracket. Go watch the coach run a session. Is he organized and engaging? Does he have coaching licensing and training? I have seen great coaches with little to no licensing. I do think however that professionals embrace education and take opportunity to learn. I don't agree with the strong program thought process 100%. To me a strong program is great but the coach is the deal maker or breaker. With town you get whoever volunteers go or bad. Above all go watch a game and stand amongst the parents. Are they a crazy bunch of yahoos or calm and positive? Often crazy parenting is a result of poor coaching. Either the coach is a nut or she failed to set the correct tone from the start. In my experience the stronger coaches have very little trouble with parents v the weaker coaches. Whatever you do look at a few clubs. Cultures can differ greatly and your daughter will get more out of one she is comfortable with.
          Sorry for the typos.....that must be what that "Preview Post" button is for!

Comment

U9..please do yourself a favor..play one season in good rec program and then find a program that offers Academy style training with the focus on skills and small sided games where there is no score keeping (but lots of emphasis on goal scoring), no set roster but instead a pool where club can assemble teams for small sided events based on development, lots of small sided games that emphasize touches, decision-making, and development...and fun.

Not sure who offers that locally..but I disagree a small bit with the previous poster's point on catching up. Although the poster noted "there are exceptions", the reality is at u13 and below, physical/athletic ability will dominate in the "traditional" 6-8 v 6-8 set roster matches.

Many coaches will put the fast kids up front and the big kids in the middle because the mentality is about winning, especially when you are traveling and paying $$. Kids who are in good development programs (be it local to club) can easily catch up when you get to the level where the emphasis does shift to tactics and team.

Below U14 (11 v 11), find programs that focus on individual and technical...at the younger levels, the game is about the individual using a team (small sided) format..

Comment

I saw your 2009 U9 Girls team and it was the best group I have seen in a while. I would stay put if I were you. Keeping that group together would be a smart move. If you want something different then I would check into the Cumberland/Revs situation and see if they have anything to offer yet. Good luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X