Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The assumption will be that the most talented kids will ultimately target the few clubs to play DA. We have a 4 game sample size to look at for this league. You cannot possibly judge a league or club's success after the first quarter of the first year of its existence.
    Talented players just waiting for their moment to fork over thousands to join this? That would seem to be a far fetched assumption.

Comment

The assumption will be that the most talented kids will ultimately target the few clubs to play DA. We have a 4 game sample size to look at for this league. You cannot possibly judge a league or club's success after the first quarter of the first year of its existence.
      That is true. But not all the best players went to GDA, and not all the best club are in GDA. Thus far things are playing out exactly as predicted for LISC and GDA as a whole - some quality clubs and teams crushing the others who are not.

Comment

Talented players just waiting for their moment to fork over thousands to join this? That would seem to be a far fetched assumption.
        Like they won't pay thousands to play ECNL? If they're talented and don't want to travel then they're not part of the pool and don't matter, anyway. Either league will cost $$ and will require commitment.

Comment

That is true. But not all the best players went to GDA, and not all the best club are in GDA. Thus far things are playing out exactly as predicted for LISC and GDA as a whole - some quality clubs and teams crushing the others who are not.
          This is why it is important to remember its 4 games into year 1. Ultimately, the GDA will be the strongest league. It may take 3 years to happen but it will happen.

Comment

Like they won't pay thousands to play ECNL? If they're talented and don't want to travel then they're not part of the pool and don't matter, anyway. Either league will cost $$ and will require commitment.
            I think the poster was referring to the club not the league. If these clubs think they can just hang our the shingle of a certain league and the players will come flocking that has clearly been exposed as unrealistic. The costs are very high and the choices are carefully considered. The league is only one of the considered factors.

Comment

This is why it is important to remember its 4 games into year 1. Ultimately, the GDA will be the strongest league. It may take 3 years to happen but it will happen.
              In the short term families don't care. The recruiting window is tight and families pick what works in the here and now. GDA might not have the luxury of time

Comment

In the short term families don't care. The recruiting window is tight and families pick what works in the here and now. GDA might not have the luxury of time
                I'll put my kid on a team that is the best situation for my kid. If my kid can have role on a bad DA team and still be seen by coaches versus sitting on a "great" ECNL or DA team I'll choose the playing time every time.

Comment

I'll put my kid on a team that is the best situation for my kid. If my kid can have role on a bad DA team and still be seen by coaches versus sitting on a "great" ECNL or DA team I'll choose the playing time every time.
                  Of course everyone tries to find the best spot for their player. The complaints here are due to the mis-match between expectations for the gda versus reality.

Comment

You are a money grabbing club's dream!!! The expectation that your kid will "still be seen by coaches" just because they are on a DA team, is problematic.

DA is setting up Showcases the same way ECNL does-top teams vs top teams, bottom teams vs bottom teams. What makes you think coaches are going to be flocking to games featuring "team X, whose record is 1-9, 4GF/72GA" versus "team y, whose record is 0-10, 2GF/91 GA".?

I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic. I get the playing time aspect, but if recruiting opportunities are a priority, you might want to keep an open mind about your options.

Comment

USSF doesn't care about the quality of the GDA teams/clubs in year one. Maybe not even in year two or three. The primary concern is simply getting it off the ground so that they can start putting the hurt on ECNL.

Comment

USSF doesn't care about the quality of the GDA teams/clubs in year one. Maybe not even in year two or three. The primary concern is simply getting it off the ground so that they can start putting the hurt on ECNL.
                        Agreed. At this point from a college recruiting perspective things are going to be all over the place but that was going to happen regardless with a new league to compete for time vs ECNL/NPL/HS/EDP, etc. It's all about getting this off the ground and strong longer term.

What it does do, if you're looking for college spots, is put more pressure on parents & players to advocate for themselves in the near term.

Comment

USSF doesn't seem to care much about Long Island players period.

Comment

USSF doesn't seem to care much about Long Island players period.
                            The goal of USSF with all of these changes to (birth year, gda, etc) is to literally identify 1 or 2 players a year for the national team out of the millions of people who play soccer.

They don't care about 99.999% of the players.

Comment

The goal of USSF with all of these changes to (birth year, gda, etc) is to literally identify 1 or 2 players a year for the national team out of the millions of people who play soccer.

They don't care about 99.999% of the players.
                              Yes and many have been saying that for a long time. Many weren't listening but now they're starting to figure it out.

Comment

If your kid is sitting in ECNL you've got bigger problems. I hope she doesn't have her heart set on a top program because it ain't happening pops. Coaches recruit players, not teams or leagues. The leagues simply provide shopping opportunities. However coaches, like an old nonna shopping the local produce stand, can quickly sort the good from the bad.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X