Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We had similar experiences - as far as the coach being very open about "here is where we see your kid fitting in the program and here is what we can offer." Some of the earlier poster's on this thread that suggest you should hold off longer and try and get a better deal (better school, more money, etc.) are just flat out wrong or inexperienced. In almost all cases, the offers don't get better the longer you wait - they get worse. Unless you don't mind having your kid commit to Arkansas at the last minute for an extra $3,000.
    Arkansas? Top 50 D1 women soccer, Top 10 business school in the nation, member of SEC.

Not sure how those are bad things. Try again.

Comment

Arkansas? Top 50 D1 women soccer, Top 10 business school in the nation, member of SEC.

Not sure how those are bad things. Try again.
      Have you been to Arkansas? Would your kid ever consider staying there after graduation?

Comment

Have you been to Arkansas? Would your kid ever consider staying there after graduation?
        I get your point. My kid got interest from Purdue. We went up for a Summer camp. Similar deal. Strong soccer program in the Big 10, had her major, etc. - but - it's in West Lafayette, Indiana. Kept looking.....

Comment

Fayetteville, Bentonville, and the surrounding areas around U of Arkansas are very nice. Campus is excellent too. Lots of new facilities. Rest of Arkansas...not so much.

Comment

I don't believe a player should commit until Junior year. That's just my personal belief. By that time, a player is at a mature point in life to actually assess what she wants to do with her life. Too many times I think we parents want to throw our influence, or be able to brag that our child is "committed." I agree that finding the right fit over this need to commit at the end of sophomore year is more important.

Comment

There are some articles that put the quitting number as high as 33% after the 1st year. Soccer also has a lot of transfers as well.
              Last year there were over 140 transfers just in women's D1.
              Then there are those who have their scholarship money reduced since athletic scholarships are year to year and coaches can do that if someone better comes along. This can make tuition too expensive depending on where you are playing and how much money was merit vs. athletic forcing the player to quit which may have been the coaches goal from the start.

As another poster stated, look for the best fit for your kid; not the biggest name. 99% will not play professionally including my kid so finding the right school and graduating with a usable degree is paramount.

I did not think that was accurate and I looked it up. Was surprised the number was that high for quitting and transfers. Maybe with the new rule change, having to make a decision so early will not be necessary.

Comment

There are some articles that put the quitting number as high as 33% after the 1st year. Soccer also has a lot of transfers as well.
                Last year there were over 140 transfers just in women's D1.
                Then there are those who have their scholarship money reduced since athletic scholarships are year to year and coaches can do that if someone better comes along. This can make tuition too expensive depending on where you are playing and how much money was merit vs. athletic forcing the player to quit which may have been the coaches goal from the start.

As another poster stated, look for the best fit for your kid; not the biggest name. 99% will not play professionally including my kid so finding the right school and graduating with a usable degree is paramount.
                Transferring colleges is not just an athlete issue and definitely not womens soccer only.

Why so many college students decide to transfer?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e68c1001e9e5

This article list about 10 reasons why "A 2015 report by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found that 37.2 percent of college students changed schools at least once within six years, and of these, 45 percent changed their institution more than once."

As a parent who just helped our non-athlete student transfer after his Freshman year, it is a terribly disruptive process to implement but it was going to be a long, expensive, 3-4 more years at a school it turned out he didn't like. You want them happy and productive and now he is. Transferrng is not the end of the world but do everything you can to avoid it.

Comment

I did not think that was accurate and I looked it up. Was surprised the number was that high for quitting and transfers. Maybe with the new rule change, having to make a decision so early will not be necessary.
                  Students begin applying to colleges the summer after the junior year. The junior year is rigorous with club soccer, high school soccer, classes, SAT, .. and try to fit in soccer visits and communucation to commit.

Comment

Students begin applying to colleges the summer after the junior year. The junior year is rigorous with club soccer, high school soccer, classes, SAT, .. and try to fit in soccer visits and communucation to commit.
                    Yeah god forbid we stress out the snowflakes

Comment

Yeah god forbid we stress out the snowflakes
                      Will have to give up an Ecnl or Da game to go take care of college visits with the coaches.

Comment

I get your point. My kid got interest from Purdue. We went up for a Summer camp. Similar deal. Strong soccer program in the Big 10, had her major, etc. - but - it's in West Lafayette, Indiana. Kept looking.....
                        Purdue is much stronger school than AK.

Comment

I don't believe a player should commit until Junior year. That's just my personal belief. By that time, a player is at a mature point in life to actually assess what she wants to do with her life. Too many times I think we parents want to throw our influence, or be able to brag that our child is "committed." I agree that finding the right fit over this need to commit at the end of sophomore year is more important.
                          Having had a girl and a boy through the process I completely agree (boys are generally a year later than girls with most doing it junior year). Junior year is much more in line with what non athlete students to through. They have 2+ years of HS under their belts so they have a better assessment of their academic ability, what they want from a school, greater maturity and focus. I've seen girls' families scrambling to look at schools because they didn't really realize how much more compressed the time table was. More time to figure out who you are and what you want increases the likelihood of finding the best fit. The new rules only make a dent in the issue; they need to do more. Parents (worried their kid will miss out) and college coaches (who worry they won't get the talent they want) won't solve the problem on their own.

Comment

Having had a girl and a boy through the process I completely agree (boys are generally a year later than girls with most doing it junior year). Junior year is much more in line with what non athlete students to through. They have 2+ years of HS under their belts so they have a better assessment of their academic ability, what they want from a school, greater maturity and focus. I've seen girls' families scrambling to look at schools because they didn't really realize how much more compressed the time table was. More time to figure out who you are and what you want increases the likelihood of finding the best fit. The new rules only make a dent in the issue; they need to do more. Parents (worried their kid will miss out) and college coaches (who worry they won't get the talent they want) won't solve the problem on their own.
                            Commit when the money is right and it’s your school of preference! Who cares what year your in. Your going to college to get a degree.. Do your best on the field but your there to get an education!

Comment

Commit when the money is right and it’s your school of preference! Who cares what year your in. Your going to college to get a degree.. Do your best on the field but your there to get an education!
                              Yes YOU'RE right (You + are = you're. Your = possessive). But finding the right fit/best choice school often doesn't happen over night and preferences change as you mature, visit more schools etc. Don't rush into something for FOMO (Fear of missing out).

Comment

I made my daughter commit -- commit to keeping her GPA up to can get into any school as long as that SAT/ACT score is good. Soccer will do its part, but academics will bring in the real financial support. Hopefully she can "commit" to sport by February 2019, and have a worry free Senior year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X