Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WYS Return to Play Guidelines

Washington Youth Soccer finally came out with their guidelines for return to play

https://washingtonyouthsoccer.org/wa...ay-guidelines/

I read through this, and can say with confidence it was not created by a medical professional. I have worked in the medical field for 25 years and this attempt at creating a safe infectious protocol is alarming. Some of the information is absolutely incorrect.

I think this must be a starting draft and clubs will expand on this. I will not be sending my kid onto the field if this is the only protocol all clubs are following. If I didn't see the website address I would think this is a joke.

Comment

Interested in what you think is not sufficient. This is way more than the one page document PSPL has. Would be interested in your opinion since your are in a medical field.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Interested in what you think is not sufficient. This is way more than the one page document PSPL has. Would be interested in your opinion since your are in a medical field.
        I’m not a doctor, I work with DSHS long term care facilities and manage 40 Nurse assistants considered front-line workers. I have met seniors who have had grand-kids visit only to be infected and passed away three weeks later.

These are my two cents on how I would tweak the guidelines given.

Mandate to parents, not only to keep your kid home if they have a cough or other Covid symptoms, require them to have their kid tested. There is free drive through testing around Seattle.

Parents agree to take kids temp before dropping them off and keep their kid home if their kid has a fever, even mild. A family can purchase a thermometer for $5-40. This takes 5 minutes.
        A mild fever in kids can mean pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ome-2020-05-14

Appropriate infection prevention supplies should be present in multiple targeted areas
        (e.g., hand sanitizer, facial tissues, facial coverings, hand wash stations, etc.).

Coaches continuously wipe down balls, cones, equipment

Players bring and play with their own ball.

Maybe practices should be held with half teams at a time in the beginning and kept 6 feet apart. I don’t have an answer for how to prevent spread with player to player contact.

The most glaring problem I see, the lack of a plan to deal with the fallout of once they find out that a kid has Covid. In the medical field, when an employee tests positive, the entire care team will self-quarantine for 2 weeks.

****Have an action plan in place, in case of notification of a positive test result.

Seeing that these guidelines were probably written by soccer coaches or board members, I am hopeful each club will seek out competent advice.

Comment

none

I’m not a doctor, I work with DSHS long term care facilities and manage 40 Nurse assistants considered front-line workers. I have met seniors who have had grand-kids visit only to be infected and passed away three weeks later.

Mandate to parents, not only to keep your kid home if they have a cough or other Covid symptoms, require them to have their kid tested. There is free drive through testing around Seattle.

Parents agree to take kids temp before dropping them off and keep their kid home if their kid has a fever, even mild. A family can purchase a thermometer for $5-40. This takes 5 minutes.

Appropriate infection prevention supplies should be present in multiple targeted areas
          (e.g., hand sanitizer, facial tissues, facial coverings, hand wash stations, etc.).

Maybe practices should be held with half teams at a time in the beginning and kept 6 feet apart. I don’t have an answer for how to prevent spread with player to player contact.

The most glaring problem I see, the lack of a plan to deal with the fallout of once they find out that a kid has Covid. In the medical field, when an employee tests positive, the entire care team will self-quarantine for 2 weeks.

****Have an action plan in place, in case of notification of a positive test result.

Seeing that these guidelines were probably written by soccer coaches or board members, I am hopeful each club will seek out competent advice.
          Did you actually read the full set of guidelines? There are several tabs - general/club/coaches/parents/players as well as submenus (additional FAQs below) that at quick glance cover your big complaints.
          + They cover cleaning equipment (and players are not allowed to touch them either: "The coach is the only person to handle cones, disks, etc.".)
          + They cover parents taking kids temperatures: "Ensure athletes are healthy, check their temperature daily."
          + They cover players bringing their own ball: "Bring your own ball to training, label it as your own."
          + They cover small group trainings and social distancing: "All training must be outdoors and coaches must strictly enforce social distancing per the current phase guidelines. Provide adequate field space for at least six feet of social distancing per player."
          + They cover teams being quarantined if a player is diagnosed with covid: "Have a written action plan in place, in case of a positive test. If a person is diagnosed with COVID-19, the entire group must return to self-isolation until symptom-free for 14 days." (And they can't require anyone to get a test. That's beyond their jurisdiction, but they can require them to be symptom free. Last I checked, I can't get tested just for having one of the symptoms like having a fever, but the club can require you to stay home if you have just one symptom.)
          -
          Anyway, the full guidelines seem to cover your big points, so maybe you read that before you accuse them of incompetence.

Comment

Parents would never accuse the soccer powers of incompetence. Everyone knows they have our kids best interest at heart.

Comment

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ome-2020-05-14

Almost all of this is addressed in their guidelines.

Comment

Long time lurker, first time poster

I've read a fair bit of posts on this board, and based on that I don't trust most of you to keep you kid home during an "important" game with a mild fever. As much as my family loves soccer and I personally don't want my kid to lose a year in his development, I also don't want to force this. That would be bad for everybody.

Comment

+1
                  Probably the smartest man on his forum.

Do people honestly believe the crazed soccer parents are going to keep their kids home from a game when their life centers around soccer?

Comment

I've read a fair bit of posts on this board, and based on that I don't trust most of you to keep you kid home during an "important" game with a mild fever. As much as my family loves soccer and I personally don't want my kid to lose a year in his development, I also don't want to force this. That would be bad for everybody.
                    Crazed soccer parents will never do what’s best for others. We all know it and have seen it all these years. Most of them don’t even do what’s best for their own child when they get concussions and they only person at risk there is their very own child. If they think it will be just a cold or flu for their own child and only others may die, they’ll say they tested negative after not testing, then give them Tylenol and use an ice pack on their forehead before any temperature readings. And if they’re showing symptoms, every player will now have “bad allergies”.

Comment

Crazed soccer parents will never do what’s best for others. We all know it and have seen it all these years. Most of them don’t even do what’s best for their own child when they get concussions and they only person at risk there is their very own child. If they think it will be just a cold or flu for their own child and only others may die, they’ll say they tested negative after not testing, then give them Tylenol and use an ice pack on their forehead before any temperature readings. And if they’re showing symptoms, every player will now have “bad allergies”.
                      Dude,,,,, I hope you are wrong.

Comment

Almost all of this is addressed in their guidelines.
                        To be fair, the person did say he/she works "with" (not "for") DSHS. Literacy probably isn't a job requirement.

Comment

These leagues should go super local. Certainly no cross-state travel, probably even more restrictive than that. They are probsbly hesitant to do that because parents might realize that their “premier” team either is on the same competitive level as the local select club or that they are better off playing up a year at select instead of driving all over the state.

Comment

To be fair, the person did say he/she works "with" (not "for") DSHS. Literacy probably isn't a job requirement.
                            You must be the coach who wrote the Return to Play guidelines. Hold your breath for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

https://washingtonyouthsoccer.org/wa...-e91208d2-465c

If not soon then, why, when statistics clearly demonstrate at this point that healthy youth are no more likely to succumb to protracted health issues from COVID-19 than any other illness, are we to be expected to radically alter our way of life to a "new normal" both within and without the circle of soccer?

Because kids can be carriers, and will interact with other at-risk individuals, they may pass the virus on to others unknowingly. Additionally, just as we Honor the Game in soccer, which means following the rules even when you can get away without following them, we choose to partner with our Governor and local officials and follow all mandates to insure the safety of all in our community.

Comment

You must be the coach who wrote the Return to Play guidelines. Hold your breath for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

https://washingtonyouthsoccer.org/wa...-e91208d2-465c

If not soon then, why, when statistics clearly demonstrate at this point that healthy youth are no more likely to succumb to protracted health issues from COVID-19 than any other illness, are we to be expected to radically alter our way of life to a "new normal" both within and without the circle of soccer?

Because kids can be carriers, and will interact with other at-risk individuals, they may pass the virus on to others unknowingly. Additionally, just as we Honor the Game in soccer, which means following the rules even when you can get away without following them, we choose to partner with our Governor and local officials and follow all mandates to insure the safety of all in our community.

Hey, you go first. Test the waters and let me know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X