Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California just shut down fall play for all their D2 state colleges

This is just the first to drop. Expect many more.

https://goccaa.org/news/2020/5/12/ge...fall-2020.aspx

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

much easier for a school system with a massive commuter student population given low tuition to begin with as well as room/board being essentially non-existent. let's see what happens to some colleges at 50k-60k a year if they go remote and can't charge the room/board component....long-standing institutions in the northeast won't be around long if they don't get students back on campus this year....maybe you can withstand the fall but a full year of remote will be devastating to the finances of colleges/universities that rely on room/board.

Comment

do you somehow feel validated
      for posting this?

Comment

Moral of the story: Don't move to CA.

Comment

It is just one conference, of the cal state system. the conference shut it down. not the state. Small schools. if the "University of" schools (UCLA, U of California, etc) start to shut fall sports that would be more telling.

Comment

do you somehow feel validated
            for posting this?
            I don't like to be right about this.

Comment

This is the easy way out as these sports don’t make money. If the PAC12 does this, then we can pay attention.

Bigger question I think is these schools will lose enrollment as why not just go JC for the semester and save a lot of money. Not all can do this, but the many who can, why not?

Comment

I don't like to be right about this.
                I do, from the World Class thread, I said this, so yeah I am glad I am a smart idiot...

Comment

It is just one conference, of the cal state system. the conference shut it down. not the state. Small schools. if the "University of" schools (UCLA, U of California, etc) start to shut fall sports that would be more telling.
                  They are next CA just starting with low hanging fruit...

Comment

Several of their campuses are D1. Sports are still TBD but they're trying to figure it out. Also it seems like some other students will be back on campus, mostly hands on STEM classes. That said, if some schools don't return and others due there still may not be enough teams to run regular conference play.

Don't discount this announcement - not having over 400K kids return is a big deal. More will follow.

"The system’s 23 schools include Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State, all of which are members of the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision’s 12-team Mountain West Conference.

San Diego State athletics department spokesman Mike May said via email Tuesday night: "I wanted to provide some clarity — at least from SDSU — with regard to today’s announcement. SDSU will offer a hybrid model for classes (some in-person, some virtual). In athletics, we continue to work through many scenarios, including sports in the fall."

San Diego State President Adela de la Torre offered further clarity on Twitter, saying, in part, "we will offer certain lab- and performance-based instruction in person, while offering the majority of instruction via virtual modalities" and releasing a much more extensive explanation on the school's website.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ll/3121272001/

Comment

MAC eliminated conference championships

Colleges budgets are way down and will only get worse. Sports are an expensive luxury. Most colleges can survive without sports for the fall. It’ll be the small colleges with small endowments that might really struggle or fold.

Comment

California just shut down fall play for all their D2 state colleges

Colleges budgets are way down and will only get worse. Sports are an expensive luxury. Most colleges can survive without sports for the fall. It’ll be the small colleges with small endowments that might really struggle or fold.
                        im not surprised those faggot liberal p-ssys shut down fall play in CA. I'm sure same will happen in NY...disgusting.

Comment

Let’s see how budgets look when kids transfer and enrollment down by 30%...

Comment

im not surprised those faggot liberal p-ssys shut down fall play in CA. I'm sure same will happen in NY...disgusting.
                            Title con posts on multiple state boards 😆

Comment

Title con posts on multiple state boards 😆
                              Pretty sure its Donald Trump Jr.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X