Reign Letter to WYS/RCL Part 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quit being a clown....even Lebron James and the rest of the professional leagues recruit players.

Comment

Agree, ALL CLUBS RECRUIT.

So why is WYS sending a letter to Clubs not in RCL about recruiting.

Comment

Interesting paradigm;

SU and others pay to be part of a professional outreach program that in essence pushes their best players to the Sounders DA. They see it as a status symbol to have their players on a professional academy. They love it so much they pay for the privilege to lose players.

They did the exact same thing with the Reign, when things went sour for whatever reason and they lost an element of control this process of pushing the best players to the local professional academy became a bad 'developmental choice' overnight. WA State doesn't have enough elite girls players to support 2 'elite' programs let alone all the ECNL and the DA. Just yet another example of making your own sandbox when someone else plays with your toys.

The question shouldn't be about the clubs in the ECNL, it should be about all of the others that are not. Why are they sitting idly by and watching the rich get richer while the poor get poorer. The ECNL West Division is simply RCL D1 and perpetuates the closed loop system the big 5 monopolize at the expense of every other WYS member. The newly crowned ECNL teams cannot sustain their top teams from within their own club, so where do these players come from? They recruit from those around them. See a pattern?

How is Terry Fisher comfortable with losing 50% of all RCL D1 teams to USCS and the ECNL? The days of State Associations being the focal point of youth soccer are numbered, something Terry is more than aware of. The generation of old boys that have been so influential over the same period is also nearing the end of its shelf life. Change is coming and people hate change more than almost anything else.

Sounds to me like the hunters are dealing with a perspective of becoming the hunted and are now complaining about their weapons of choice, skills and techniques they perfected over the past 20+years.

Comment

Good point re the sounders and how does it affect the dynamic now that Adrian Hanauer owns a piece of the Reign.. will clubs have to play nice w Reign if they don't want to jeopardize their Sounders relationship?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Good point re the sounders and how does it affect the dynamic now that Adrian Hanauer owns a piece of the Reign.. will clubs have to play nice w Reign if they don't want to jeopardize their Sounders relationship?
            The Sounders Academy is professionally run as an extension of the pro team. they have long and short term strategies and goals. I don't think the Academy leadership cares what's happening with Reign Academy -- they don't take time for those distractions.

That said, there's some tension between clubs like SU and Sounders Academy...SU loves to see former players succeed with Sounders so they can promote that, but SU also loses players to Sounders that are the "extras..." who never become top at Sounders but are there to give the other kids someone to scrimmage with. If those "extras" stayed with their original clubs they'd be stars there, helping to win state cups etc so it can be bittersweet.

Comment

The Sounders Academy is professionally run as an extension of the pro team. they have long and short term strategies and goals. I don't think the Academy leadership cares what's happening with Reign Academy -- they don't take time for those distractions.

That said, there's some tension between clubs like SU and Sounders Academy...SU loves to see former players succeed with Sounders so they can promote that, but SU also loses players to Sounders that are the "extras..." who never become top at Sounders but are there to give the other kids someone to scrimmage with. If those "extras" stayed with their original clubs they'd be stars there, helping to win state cups etc so it can be bittersweet.
              Whose fault is that? Parents, take some responsibility. If you knowingly sign up for a team where your kid is not a core impact player, find a team they will be. Everyone will be happier. Stop acting as if you have no choice.

Comment

I think it is also important to note that you cannot compare the Sounders program as it is today with the Reign. It isn't an apples to apples comparison. When the Sounders finally decided to have a youth program, it basically absorbed and took over the WPFC Boys USSDA team and sprinkled in some Crossfire players who would dare do it. The teams and players already existed, it wasn't creating something from scratch and absorbing individuals from multiple programs. It was far from an elite program producing home grown players (that was being done all round the State) from the get go and suffered from many of the same issues most new entities do with staff, players and programming.

With respect to money, pleases also be mindful that the only reason Crossfire has made any of its programs more cost effective is due to their counterparts doing so. It isn't an altruistic approach from the goodness of their heart, it is merely a marketing ploy that was forced upon them when the Sounders originally did it for the boys USSDA programs. In order to keep up with the Jones' they followed suit. Is it beneficial to the players? Of course it is, but be under no illusion that it is for the greater good, it is simply a tactic to draw in players. If they were so inclined to put players and their families first then they would drop their prices across the board by a big margin to all teams. Alas, it is reserved for the 'elite' or the programs that are staffed by the USSDA and high school players. As in many instances it is the 99% financing the 1% which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it is what it is never the less.

Comment

More FAKE NEWS

I don't think anyone is banning anyone from doing anything. I don't think the clubs are stopping anyone from being a fan. I just would not promote them within the club.

That is great that they are a women's professional club, but it is classless to have the Reign DOC regularly dialing up your players to try to get them to switch clubs mid-season.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong way. The Reign and US Soccer (with the DA) are going about it the wrong way and ******* a lot of people off in the process.
                  This is FAKE NEWS. No one from the Reign, I repeat NO ONE representing the Reign Academy has ever called a player from a competing club and recruited them mid season. EVERY SINGLE TRANSFER was initiated by player/parent. My DD daughter plays for one of the teams the girls transferred from and I know for a fact that this is incorrect. Please stop ... all this bologna is hurting elite soccer in our state. Find a team that wants your daughter, a coach and program you trust, and go with it! One size does NOT fit all.

Comment

Just like you did, it is easy to put false facts on the internet. Ask Bernie to open his books and show you his funding of all girls on those teams. My suspicion is what is posted isn’t necessarily what happens behind the scenes.

My point is that if you believed in the product you were selling, you wouldn’t try and use tactics to recruit players. This goes for all clubs! Reign, XF SU Efc.

Choice is good for consumers and that is what big RCL clubs are trying to protect against.
                    Crossfire Foundation is non profit so if you are interested then you can probably get access to the numbers.

Not sure about what you mean by isn't necessarily what happens behind the scenes. My daughter played for DA last year and all of the travel and training costs were covered. I think are portion (camp, XF auction, etc..) were under $1K.

I don't think RCL clubs are against choice for consumers. They just don't want to promote a club that is going to compete with them for player at their own club. People can choose what they want. I am just not going to invest into my competitors. Nothing wrong with that position.

Comment

This is FAKE NEWS. No one from the Reign, I repeat NO ONE representing the Reign Academy has ever called a player from a competing club and recruited them mid season. EVERY SINGLE TRANSFER was initiated by player/parent. My DD daughter plays for one of the teams the girls transferred from and I know for a fact that this is incorrect. Please stop ... all this bologna is hurting elite soccer in our state. Find a team that wants your daughter, a coach and program you trust, and go with it! One size does NOT fit all.
                      You should ask Sam at the Reign.

Comment

Agree, ALL CLUBS RECRUIT.

So why is WYS sending a letter to Clubs not in RCL about recruiting.
                        I misread the note. I thought it was a letter from the Reign complaining to WYS about how SU is no longer advocating for the Reign and not letting kids go to their ID camp so they can steal SU players.

Comment

I misread the note. I thought it was a letter from the Reign complaining to WYS about how SU is no longer advocating for the Reign and not letting kids go to their ID camp so they can steal SU players.
                          Yes, you have succinctly summed up the disaster that youth soccer in WA state has become! Reign can not “steal” SU (or other club) players because SU does not own the players!!!!Players are not indentured servants! Provide a great product and the players will stay. Some have left Reign for big 5 clubs (yes, midseason) and Reign wished them well on their soccer journey. That’s what a club does that has confidence in their own product! We have learned (well documented in Ms Predmore’s letter) what WYS clubs do when players and parents choose to look elsewhere. Again, provide a great product and players will stay. Don’t waste your time trying kill off one of the nine professional women’s teams in the country! Is that a move that promotes women’s soccer in this country or is that just a desperate attempt to maintain marketshare at all costs?

Comment

Yes, you have succinctly summed up the disaster that youth soccer in WA state has become! Reign can not “steal” SU (or other club) players because SU does not own the players!!!!Players are not indentured servants! Provide a great product and the players will stay. Some have left Reign for big 5 clubs (yes, midseason) and Reign wished them well on their soccer journey. That’s what a club does that has confidence in their own product! We have learned (well documented in Ms Predmore’s letter) what WYS clubs do when players and parents choose to look elsewhere. Again, provide a great product and players will stay. Don’t waste your time trying kill off one of the nine professional women’s teams in the country! Is that a move that promotes women’s soccer in this country or is that just a desperate attempt to maintain marketshare at all costs?
                            We're following this business down here in Orygun--we have a similar situation (ECNL clubs, and a few other, being overtly hostile to the Thorns Academy), but with a few differences.

* OYSA has none of the anti-recruiting rules that WYS enforces. Poaching players--and entire teams--is considered fair game, and it happens all the time.

* Thorns, being part of the Timbers association, have a better relationship with OYSA.

Despite all that, we still hear the same objections to the Timbers and Thorns academy programs from some of the local clubs: "they're stealing our players!" "ODP is just a way for them to steal our players!" and so forth, as though the MLS academy is just another corner youth club.

With regard to Thorns, some of the critics might have more of a point--it's essentially pay-to-play (whereas Timbers Academy is free), and a lot of the operational aspects have been outsourced to a local youth club (though Thorns still provide the coaching staff).

Comment

You are actually completely wrong. My daughter out of know where this season had Matt Dorman coming up to her after a game in January and asking her to come out to training and somehow had our email within a couple of days. She had zero interest in joining because of the no playing in highschool rule.

Comment

You are actually completely wrong. My daughter out of know where this season had Matt Dorman coming up to her after a game in January and asking her to come out to training and somehow had our email within a couple of days. She had zero interest in joining because of the no playing in highschool rule.
                                Sounds to me like flattery in it’s most sincerest form. If you are a skilled player teams will always want you on their side. I’d be upset/worried if no one was asking. A simple, “no thanks” will usually do the job. Maybe elite competitive soccer isn’t for you?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X