Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
She's currently U14.
That's going to be huge culture shock and speed of play shock at U14 going from LIJ to ECNL.
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
That's going to be huge culture shock and speed of play shock at U14 going from LIJ to ECNL.
Unlikely she'd even crack an ECNL roster. She probably would have to do a step up into NYSCL, EDP etc.

But for the op - may I ask why? Is is it something she's truly passionate about, wants to improve, maybe wants to play in college? Have knowledgable people suggested she move up and has the skills to do so? To compete at the higher levels players have to really want it and work at it - especially given the time and money involved.
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Unlikely she'd even crack an ECNL roster. She probably would have to do a step up into NYSCL, EDP etc.

But for the op - may I ask why? Is is it something she's truly passionate about, wants to improve, maybe wants to play in college? Have knowledgable people suggested she move up and has the skills to do so? To compete at the higher levels players have to really want it and work at it - especially given the time and money involved.
Yes. She is passionate about it. She's 13 and her dream not ours is to play in college.She doesn't need a scholarship. Some folks have suggested suggested she move up- She has speed and quickness and "footskills beyond her years" at least in the small pond.
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
She's currently U14.
I think trying to make the jump from LIJSL to ECNL at U15 would be very tough. My advice (for what it's worth) would be to contact one of the local NPL clubs (Massapequa in Nassau, Susa in Suffolk) and ask if your daughter can go down and check out a few practices this Spring. Tell the coach or manager your situation, more likely than not, they'll be receptive.

Multi-tier clubs like that are always looking for new talent and it'll give you and your daughter an idea of where she falls in the landscape. If she's running circles around the top players on the team, then maybe you seriously consider ECNL. If she's on par or just about keeping up with the stronger players, then maybe you give NPL a try for a season.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes. She is passionate about it. She's 13 and her dream not ours is to play in college.She doesn't need a scholarship. Some folks have suggested suggested she move up- She has speed and quickness and "footskills beyond her years" at least in the small pond.
You should get her to some practices with a couple of target clubs. See how she fits vs. kids already playing for those teams.
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
You should get her to some practices with a couple of target clubs. See how she fits vs. kids already playing for those teams.
Definitely the best route, and if she wants to pursue college it needs to happen now, not a year from now. Make sure to do your homework about the coaching (asking parents who are around at practices is a good place to start, ask around to find parents at the club who will give you the inside scoop) and what you're in for in terms of costs, travel etc.
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Move to Rockland county, and get her on the NYCFC GDA 04 team...
Old 03-29-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
If you are going to move for soccer, go to California
Old 03-30-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Go from LI soccer to GDA? Yeah, that will happen. Baby steps.

Another thing to remember is that by U14 many of the better players have left local soccer. That makes it easier for whoever is left to stand out., big fish/small pond thing.
Old 03-30-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island and not ECNL or DA which require alot more travel.

What is the commtment?

Which teams are recommended?

Thank you for your advice.
You have nothing to lose by going to the tryouts for either ECNL or DA. Tryouts should be posted soon for clubs. Register and see what happens.