Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Basically that NYCSL NPL is not as good as EDP NPL. How true this is, I can't personally attest.
My daughter played both last year with the same team. Her team finished in 1st, undefeated in EDP NPL and 3rd in NYCSL NPL with a couple of losses and ties. But that was her age group, I can't really speak for the others, but i followed the National NPL playoffs last year and most of the top teams (semi final or better) came from NYCSL, NEP and NE NPL. If I recall correctly, FC Copa had a team win their age group, but that was about it out of EDP.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
My daughter played both last year with the same team. Her team finished in 1st, undefeated in EDP NPL and 3rd in NYCSL NPL with a couple of losses and ties. But that was her age group, I can't really speak for the others, but i followed the National NPL playoffs last year and most of the top teams (semi final or better) came from NYCSL, NEP and NE NPL. If I recall correctly, FC Copa had a team win their age group, but that was about it out of EDP.
You played in NPL in both leagues? Or NYCSL NPL and then EDP Division 1? The EDP NPL has different member clubs and I didn't think a club could be in both.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
You played in NPL in both leagues? Or NYCSL NPL and then EDP Division 1? The EDP NPL has different member clubs and I didn't think a club could be in both.
Yeah, they have to be talking non-npl EDP.

I don't think KK is considering playing in EDP-NPL at this time though because they don't have enough teams. They dropped the girls out of METRO for that reason this spring and the boys side isn't fully fleshed out in every age group either.

On a related note, I think the whole NPL concept has been a bust. Too many crappy teams shoved in there just to meet the "field in every age group" requirement.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, they have to be talking non-npl EDP.

I don't think KK is considering playing in EDP-NPL at this time though because they don't have enough teams. They dropped the girls out of METRO for that reason this spring and the boys side isn't fully fleshed out in every age group either.

On a related note, I think the whole NPL concept has been a bust. Too many crappy teams shoved in there just to meet the "field in every age group" requirement.
that is an advantage of NYCSL - it's team based rather than club and there is promotion/relegation. One of my kids did NPL for awhile and certainly that club had a few good teams and a few dogs that had no place being in NPL. But the club met the requirement so that was enough.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
My bad! She played EDP D1
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
that is an advantage of NYCSL - it's team based rather than club and there is promotion/relegation. One of my kids did NPL for awhile and certainly that club had a few good teams and a few dogs that had no place being in NPL. But the club met the requirement so that was enough.
NYCSL NPL is not team based -- it is club based just like EDP's, with Eastern's older teams grandfathered in while the younger teams were dropped to Metro.

The EDP NPL does seem to be of higher quality, but it has the advantage of drawing teams from three pretty large metro areas, NYC, DC/Balto and Philly. The flip side is that teams like Manhattan have a crapload of travel to do.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Manhattan plays NYCSL NPL - at least they do on girls side. Agree playing EDP NPL would be insane for any team based in LI/NYC/Westchester. Traveling for that would be way too much.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

BOTN link still on NYCSL home page.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Will EDP start to supercede NYCSL over time? Seems those shut out of NPL are putting strong teams in there.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Will EDP start to supercede NYCSL over time? Seems those shut out of NPL are putting strong teams in there.
Again depending on which NPL you're talking about some clubs can't meet the requirement of having every age group. EDP lets you have just one team so it's a great place for smaller clubs or new ones trying to build. EDP also has its own NPL grouping.