X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to school year vs birth year

True? Across the board?

I've only heard rumors regarding ECNL. If USSF did it for all (but DA) it's more evidence they've no clue what they're doing.

Comment

It would make a lot of sense. The birth year change created problems & offered no benefits.

The Federation can set-up camps by birth year for the 1% of players under consideration for the National Team & allow system to suit the needs of the 99% of players who just want to play college ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        It would make a lot of sense. The birth year change created problems & offered no benefits.

The Federation can set-up camps by birth year for the 1% of players under consideration for the National Team & allow system to suit the needs of the 99% of players who just want to play college ball.
        No, more importantly for the hundreds of thousands of players that won't even reach for college ball. Let the kids play. If you're good enough for NT or pro aspirations you'll be found

Comment

This would be great as the majority of my daughters team would be playing high school meanwhile my daughter will be an 8th grader with no team left to play on in the fall.

Comment

True? Across the board?
            What’s your source for this rumor? Nothing on USSF website talking about this.

Comment

This would be great as the majority of my daughters team would be playing high school meanwhile my daughter will be an 8th grader with no team left to play on in the fall.
              The orphaned 8th grader. Been an issue since Year 1.

Comment

The orphaned 8th grader. Been an issue since Year 1.
                Anyone with this issue, have the clubs done anything to resolve this so the “orphaned” 8 th graders have a team to play on in the fall?

Comment

Anyone with this issue, have the clubs done anything to resolve this so the “orphaned” 8 th graders have a team to play on in the fall?
                  Some clubs let them train with the younger teams, and if the league allows them to play down during the fall then they can do that as well.

Comment

I haven’t seen any solution at our club. There are several kids who will be orphaned next year. Kids at private school often get to play up with the varsity in 8th but we know several in public who would attend a regional highschool so they are out of luck.

Switching back would be a nightmare though.

Comment

I haven’t seen any solution at our club. There are several kids who will be orphaned next year. Kids at private school often get to play up with the varsity in 8th but we know several in public who would attend a regional highschool so they are out of luck.

Probably no one would switch. Clubs, etc. would stick with birth year and most town/travel leagues would remain with school year since most never really switched to birth year. If you know the history, the US was birth year like the rest of the world until the 1980’s when FIFA made a switch to school year for a few years. Many US elementary school-age programs made the switch, but never followed FIFA back to birth year. They just make up charts to shoehorn the different school ages into the U7-U14 birth charts.

Comment

Going back is not a big deal. Making a switch for the right reasons is more motivating

Comment

Probably no one would switch. Clubs, etc. would stick with birth year and most town/travel leagues would remain with school year since most never really switched to birth year. If you know the history, the US was birth year like the rest of the world until the 1980’s when FIFA made a switch to school year for a few years. Many US elementary school-age programs made the switch, but never followed FIFA back to birth year. They just make up charts to shoehorn the different school ages into the U7-U14 birth charts.
                          I disagree. First clubs will do what is dictated by their leagues. Second all will do what keeps the most customers happy ($$$). Third going back to school year makes recruiting infinitely easier for college coaches and limits the big issue of trapped 8th and 12th graders. Only DA will keep it, if it even happens. USSF has their hands full right now

Comment

I didn't know any towns switched to birth year - ours certainly didn't. Didn't even try, no attempt at all.

Comment

It’s fine for towns to stay grade year however I think switching clubs back from birth year would just cause more upheaval. Our club offered fall training and games for the 2004 birth year which is currently the birth year split. The 8th graders trained regularly and the 9th graders joined them if they could but mostly just played games. HS soccer is so poor that it was nice for my 9th grader to play some good soccer on Sundays. I think most teams tend to be weighted towards the younger kids in the birth year because in the old system of grade based teams they were the oldest and at an advantage. I am also someone who doesn’t support red shirting kids in kindergarten unless it is a school readiness issue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X