Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think this was arrogance on the part of his parents thinking FIFA would bend the rules because they hired the “best lawyers”. Sorry, but that’s an American approach that doesn’t translate very well with European institutions, especially FIFA that wields so much power.

I love his mother’s comments that they are frustrated for not letting him play because he “didn’t have papers”. What does she think if you show up to work/live with your whole family in the U.S. without “papers”. They are lucky they weren’t deported. Also, her comments about Messi being allowed to play despite being Argentinian are off. Messi technically could apply for a Spanish citizenship through his father at the time since his great-grandfather was from Catalon. That’s not the case for her kid.

It’s a whole different system/level to reach the pro leagues in Europe. I wish him well, but wouldn’t be too hopeful based on where he is at this point.
    FIFA didn’t allow him to play because the family moved there specifically for soccer. I think FIFA is overstepping their bounds. They should not have the right to dictate who can move or play soccer where. That’s what their lawyers were arguing.

Comment

FIFA didn’t allow him to play because the family moved there specifically for soccer. I think FIFA is overstepping their bounds. They should not have the right to dictate who can move or play soccer where. That’s what their lawyers were arguing.
      They oversee soccer and are making sure that professional organizations do not get in the business of buying and selling children the world over because they are good soccer players at the age of 8 or 9. I would love to hear you if these rules were not in place and some kid from Africa came to Barcelona at 8 and then they left him on the streets at 10 because he wasnt good enough and then his parents didnt have the money to get him home. I can't believe that you are missing how bad this situation could and would become if they were allowed to buy and sell children ... not just Barcelona but all of them, every country. Did you see the other article posted about how children are being held captive by there clubs and it is ruining many of them? Now take off the training wheels and make it even more competitive and less regulated. Children are worth nothing when money, power, and results are at stake .... see USSF and DA for more proof of this (well, in their case, money and power matter, but not results).

Comment

They oversee soccer and are making sure that professional organizations do not get in the business of buying and selling children the world over because they are good soccer players at the age of 8 or 9. I would love to hear you if these rules were not in place and some kid from Africa came to Barcelona at 8 and then they left him on the streets at 10 because he wasnt good enough and then his parents didnt have the money to get him home. I can't believe that you are missing how bad this situation could and would become if they were allowed to buy and sell children ... not just Barcelona but all of them, every country. Did you see the other article posted about how children are being held captive by there clubs and it is ruining many of them? Now take off the training wheels and make it even more competitive and less regulated. Children are worth nothing when money, power, and results are at stake .... see USSF and DA for more proof of this (well, in their case, money and power matter, but not results).
        I said a family moving. I agree with the OP. FIFA should police whether children move with their parents not why their family moved. Problem solved.

Comment

If an American player is invited to train in Spain and his family unit moves to Spain, and FIFA does not allow him to play, then they are harming this child. This is wrong. Meanwhile Spanish kids can come to the USA to get a medical treatment or an education. But an American can’t play a game in Europe.

Comment

Parents (especially the mom) seem like winners. I love the rule and it has a ton of validity. She would have blown a gasket if they moved out there and 2 years later they let him go or sold him. She can't seem to accept anything less than him being recognized as the best. Typical helicopter mom.
            Wealthy Americans with first world problems. Next.

Comment

I got the impression, not from the article but from other details over the last year, that they knew and like many big entitities, figured they could skirt them and deal with the minor ramifications.
              yes I agree; I believe at the time there was a tacit disregard for those rules. Hence why 10 academy players were caught up in this, not just BL.

on another note, the "poor me" nonsense is so jarring. blaming fifa for retarding your development is about as self centered as you can imagine.

Comment

For what it's worth, here is an article on the FIFA sanctions from that time:
                https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26852466

Comment

Sounds like a good, but not phenomenal, player who was recruited too early at 11. When he failed to meet expectations, his mom looks to blame the lack of games rather than admit he was just too young rather than admit maybe she had blinders on. I think this is more a cautionary tale about recruiting too young and ridiculous expectations of kids who haven't even hit puberty yet.
                  I'm not sure it was a failure to meet expectations as opposed to the BS FIFA rules regarding minors and his parents lack of education in the laws. He eventually got his Euro passport and went back to Barcalona. They weren't going to cut him, which means he was meeting their expectations. However, taking a year away from games and having to move back to the US to play until the passport issue was cleared up hurt his fitness and speed of play.

Comment

... PS, it is intended to prevent the children from becoming expendable commodities by professional organizations. Clubs the size of these could (and would) abuse tens of thousands of kids from accross the world to find another Messi ... its a shame that parents (these parents) would not know better.
                    Incorrect. The rules limit the global reach of these clubs, but not the ability of clubs to treat youth they do bring into the academy system as expendable. Local (within 50 miles I think) or those within EU countries get recruited and let go all the time. I actually think the rule is more FIFA being protectionist with regards to European footballers as opposed to those from North and South America... as they are the only ones impacted by the rule.

Comment

FIFA is not the Spanish immigration office so they wouldn’t be deported. I agree with her that if your family wants to move so their son can play soccer in another country, you should have that right. FIFA should be concerned with whether the player’s parents are with him rather than WHY they moved in the first place. FIFA is wrong, wrong. They need to change their rules so that some players are not being harmed while trying to protect others.

And just because you CAN get a passport, but don’t have one - doesn’t make you any more eligible than someone who can’t get one. FIFA does not do a lineage evaluation. I doubt that a great- grandparent would allow citizenship, unless the grandparent had it.
                      Whether you like it or not, FIFA has the right to set the rules as the governing body. There is long history on this citizenship question when it comes to playing in Europe and the rulings are well documented. And yes, they DO lineage evaluations when a question arises regarding a player’s eligibility. This family just chose to ignore all that and they lost, which was predictable based on many similar situations.

As for obtaining citizenship, while the laws have changed since then, many European countries allowed citizenship to be obtained through a parent/grandparent. So at the time, if Messi’s FATHER wanted, he could obtain Spanish citizenship thru his grandfather. Once the father became a citizen, Messi himself could then apply for (or automatically become) a citizen thru his “Spanish” father. As it was, I think the FIFA rules at the time allowed him to play regardless.

Comment

I'm not sure it was a failure to meet expectations as opposed to the BS FIFA rules regarding minors and his parents lack of education in the laws. He eventually got his Euro passport and went back to Barcalona. They weren't going to cut him, which means he was meeting their expectations. However, taking a year away from games and having to move back to the US to play until the passport issue was cleared up hurt his fitness and speed of play.
                        ok. But players get injured, break bones and such and have to take time off to heal. Then they regain their fitness and return to training. happens a lot and it takes time.

Comment

Whether you like it or not, FIFA has the right to set the rules as the governing body. There is long history on this citizenship question when it comes to playing in Europe and the rulings are well documented. And yes, they DO lineage evaluations when a question arises regarding a player’s eligibility. This family just chose to ignore all that and they lost, which was predictable based on many similar situations.

As for obtaining citizenship, while the laws have changed since then, many European countries allowed citizenship to be obtained through a parent/grandparent. So at the time, if Messi’s FATHER wanted, he could obtain Spanish citizenship thru his grandfather. Once the father became a citizen, Messi himself could then apply for (or automatically become) a citizen thru his “Spanish” father. As it was, I think the FIFA rules at the time allowed him to play regardless.
                          FIFA changed the rules about 10 yrs ago.

European citizenship doesn’t work that way. It’s the number of degrees from who was actually born in said country.

FIFA does not do lineage analysis, except to check the birth certificates. They don’t research great grandparents. Get real.

Comment

ok. But players get injured, break bones and such and have to take time off to heal. Then they regain their fitness and return to training. happens a lot and it takes time.
                            Agreed, this was a weak excuse for saying why he didn’t advance in Europe or make the US YNT World Cup roster. He’s good, but not good enough. I’m sure Barcelona, Gent, or another European club would keep him on their reserve team, but the older he gets a first team spot looks less likely.

Comment

Incorrect. The rules limit the global reach of these clubs, but not the ability of clubs to treat youth they do bring into the academy system as expendable. Local (within 50 miles I think) or those within EU countries get recruited and let go all the time. I actually think the rule is more FIFA being protectionist with regards to European footballers as opposed to those from North and South America... as they are the only ones impacted by the rule.
                              THAT WAS MY POINT! If this rule were diminished or eliminated ....... people were hemming and hawing about FIFAs oversight but the rule is there for a VERY good reason.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X